New User
jb4569
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Deleting books from library

I have a nook Simple Touch. I want to know how to remove books from the device. You'd think it would be simple, but I just run around in circles and can't seem to get anywhere.

I deleted books through my B&N account, but they still show up on my nook. I also use nook for PC and deleted everything. Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to synchronize it or something?

Is there no way to simply delete books from the device itself?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Deleting books from library

jb4569 wrote:

Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to synchronize it or something?

Yes, when you sync via Wifi, N2E will update and the deleted books will disappear.

And you are correct; there is no way to delete anything from the device itself.  You must attach to a computer and manually delete (for sideloaded content) or delete via bn.com and then sync over Wifi.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

jb4569 wrote:

I have a nook Simple Touch. I want to know how to remove books from the device. You'd think it would be simple, but I just run around in circles and can't seem to get anywhere.

I deleted books through my B&N account, but they still show up on my nook. I also use nook for PC and deleted everything. Do I have to be connected to Wi-Fi in order to synchronize it or something?

You would be better off archiving the books you purchase from B&N rather than deleting unless you are positive you are never going to want that book again, because once you delete it, it's gone and you'll have to repurchase.  When you archive the book, which you can do from the device or the website, it removes it from the device but you can unarchive it to get it back.

And I would guess the reason you can't simply delete from the device itself is the danger of accidentally deleting something.  Since there have been reports of users accidentally deleting a book from the website, even though you get at least 2 warnings, I can see it being much worse on the device.  I meant to tap cancel, and tapped ok instead.  My kid was playing with and accidentally deleted my book. (People have gotten locked out of their Nooks because their kid accidentally put in a password).

New User
jb4569
0 Kudos

Thanks very much!

New User
LinStrong
0 Kudos

New User
egrivel
0 Kudos

You're kidding, right? You think not being able to delete is a feature? I just got a Nook yesterday and spent half an hour searching the manual for how to delete a book from the device, only to finally come to this post stating that it isn't possible.

Archiving only works when in range of a wireless service. Why can't B&N let me delete the book from the device when I want to and re-download it if at any time I want to get the book back? I'm sure their system has a record of the books I've bought and can allow me to download them again if I want to. I know baen does that with its ebooks...

I'm sorry, and I don't mean this personal, but your post was the first one I found that said that not being able to delete books is a good idea, so I guess I'm venting here. If you happen to know how I can voice my frustration with this aspect of their user interface to the designers, I'd happily take my comments there...

Eric

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

egrivel wrote:

You're kidding, right? You think not being able to delete is a feature? I just got a Nook yesterday and spent half an hour searching the manual for how to delete a book from the device, only to finally come to this post stating that it isn't possible.

Archiving only works when in range of a wireless service. Why can't B&N let me delete the book from the device when I want to and re-download it if at any time I want to get the book back? I'm sure their system has a record of the books I've bought and can allow me to download them again if I want to. I know baen does that with its ebooks...

I'm sorry, and I don't mean this personal, but your post was the first one I found that said that not being able to delete books is a good idea, so I guess I'm venting here. If you happen to know how I can voice my frustration with this aspect of their user interface to the designers, I'd happily take my comments there...

Eric

Well, I suppose they could let you delete the book off your device when not connected to WiFi, but it would just download again when it connects the next time and you'd have to do it all over again.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Didact
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You should actually try archiving a book without a wifi connection before compaining that you you can't, because you absolutely can. Wifi is only needed for unarchiving.

EDIT: Oh, my bad. I thought this was about the NOOK Tablet since this is the NOOK Tablet support forum. I have no experience with the Simple Touch.

New User
vlad84
0 Kudos

I downloaded books from Guttenberg Project.When I finished reading   I can't deleat them.

They don't appear on the screen of my PC.

How can I deleat them?

Vlad84

New User
NikitaNC
0 Kudos

I am little confuse, So far me to officially delete something from the library of my nook I have to manually attach the wire to the computer and do it?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

vlad84 wrote:

I downloaded books from Guttenberg Project.When I finished reading   I can't deleat them.

They don't appear on the screen of my PC.

How can I deleat them?

Vlad84

IIRC books from Gutenberg sometimes show up as numbers rather than titles.

When you connect your NST (since that was what the OP was discussing) it will show up as an external drive, same with a microSD card if you have one.  You will have to go into the drive you saved them on, choose the folder you saved them in and delete them.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

NikitaNC wrote:
I am little confuse, So far me to officially delete something from the library of my nook I have to manually attach the wire to the computer and do it?

On the NST, yes.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

On the NST, attaching the cable to the PC will only allow you to delete sideloaded books.  If you want to delete books acquired from B&N, you need to connect to your account at bn,com via some device with internet connectivity (PC, tablet, other nook) and delete or archive the book from there. Or delete/archive it directly from a nook other than the NST. Then sync your NST library.

New User
ezLK
0 Kudos

If you have a Simple Nook - and you connect it to your regular computer as if to download - now you should see the books loaded in your library.  You should also see NOOK to the left  - if you move your mouse to NOOK and right click - it gives you options the las option is "remove book" click on it and it will be gone. Hope this helps.

New User
Cohen
0 Kudos

Thanks for this thread. Just upgraded my original Nook to a NST and see where they simplified a lot of issues, including this one - deleting books.
New User
2014to2018
0 Kudos

i recently just downloaded all the ebooks on my bn account to my computer (pc) to have them as a back up and put into calibre for organizing. i then didnt want duplicates so i complety deleted them from my BN account. but keep in mind i still have the files in calibre and on my pc under my documents.

will anything happen to my ebooks?

in the future can i purchase ebooks from barns and nobles, download to PC and delete of my account?

if i did get a new nook device in the future would this ebooks still work and be able to be downloaded?

thanks for responses :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Not sure what you're question is. If you truly deleted them from your account, the books are gone and you won't be able to redownload them to a new device in the future. You would however be able to sideload them to a new device and they will work as long as you keep a record of the cc # you used when you downloaded them. You will need the cc # to open them in the future. There is an option called ARCHIVE on your account. IMO, using that instead is better. It will eliminate the duplicates if you sideload your books. But they are still there if you really, really need them. Hope that answers your question.