Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

Did Barnes & Noble sell Nook Tablets knowing they would become $249 paper weights?

[ Edited ]

My battery has been draining quicker than when I first got my Nook, so I contacted B&N Customer Service regarding a battery. Vanessa Mae told me:

"We would like you to know that the rechargeable battery for NOOK Tablet is not sold on BN.com. The rechargeable battery for NOOK Tablet can only be accessed and replaced by authorized service professionals."

But Bob Weathers on Nook Chat said this:

2:53:00 PM : CustomerMichael: Initial Question/Comment: What is the cost to replace the Nook Tablet battery, and what authorized service professionals are available?

2:53:06 PM : SystemSystem: Welcome to the Barnes & Noble Chatroom.

2:53:21 PM : SystemSystem: Bob Weathers has joined this session!

2:53:21 PM : SystemSystem: Connected with Bob Weathers. Your Reference Number for this chat is 741475.

2:53:26 PM : SystemSystem: Thanks for joining us.

2:53:36 PM : AgentBob Weathers: Good day Michael, thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support. My name is Bob.

2:53:44 PM : Customer: hey

2:54:31 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I understood that there is an issue with the battery of your device, am I correct?

2:54:58 PM : Customer: The battery runs down quicker than it did when i first got it.

2:56:11 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for the inconvenience you are facing but the battery of the Nook Tablet cannot be replaced.

2:56:44 PM : Customer: per a CS rep: "The rechargeable battery for NOOK Tablet can only be accessed
and replaced by authorized service professionals."

2:58:01 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for the misinformation but the battery of the device cannot be taken out of the device.

2:58:53 PM : Customer: Really? I have seen videos of people doing it. So, what You are saying is Barnes & Noble sold tablets knowing that they would become $249 paper weights?

2:59:31 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I suggest you to turn off the wi-fi and make brightness of the device lower to make the charging good on the device.

2:59:56 PM : Customer: Answer my question

3:00:01 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I can understand your concern but the charger can be replaced for the Nook 1st edition device only.

3:00:18 PM : Customer: So, what You are saying is Barnes & Noble sold tablets knowing that they would become $249 paper weights?

3:01:31 PM : Customer: So, what You are saying is Barnes & Noble sold tablets knowing that they would become $249 paper weights?

3:01:57 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for the inconvenience you are facing but we can reset the device to its initial settings and then we can change the device settings.

3:02:06 PM : Customer: So, what You are saying is Barnes & Noble sold tablets knowing that they would become $249 paper weights?

3:02:50 PM : Customer: You have no idea what you are doing, do you Bob?

3:03:52 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: , I can understand your issue and it can be resolved by doing a hard rest on the device to reset it.

3:04:32 PM : Customer: So, doing a hard reset would replace a DEAD battery?

3:05:27 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: Yes, it will refresh the device and resets the device to its pintail settings.

3:07:33 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for the typo.

3:07:37 PM : Customer: batteries don't last forever, Bob.

3:07:42 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: * Initial

3:08:22 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: Yes, I can understand your device but the batteries of the Tablet device are not replaced. We have to replace the device itself.

3:09:30 PM : Customer: Oh? And how is that, B7N expects people to spend and additional $249 when the battery dies?

3:10:08 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: As you are in warranty we can replace the device for free for you.

3:11:24 PM : Customer: Thats not what I am concerned about, Bob. I am concerned that I paid $249 for a paper weight!

3:12:58 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for that but the device is designed in a way that we cannot take the battery out and replace it.

3:13:45 PM : Customer: then all you had to say is Barnes & Noble sold tablets knowing that they would become $249 paper weights!

3:13:57 PM : Customer: I guess I'll have to consult an attorney.

3:15:33 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: , I can understand your concern and I suggest you to once visit our BN store and then they will reset the device.

3:16:40 PM : Customer: Listen Bob, the damn warranty is for one year. You are telling me the battery can not be replaced. Soooo, I am looking forward to when the damn warranty expires and 2 days later, the battery does also.

3:17:48 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: Is there anything else I can help you with?

3:18:35 PM : Customer: No Bob, you have been completely unhelpful, and evaded my questions like a pro.

3:19:49 PM : Agent Bob Weathers: I am sorry for that but as I have informed you that the battery charging can be minimized by turning off the wi-fi when the device is not used for purchasing.

Does either of these people know what they are talking about?

Some people settle for less...
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Did Barnes & Noble sell Nook Tablets knowing they would become $249 paper weights?

Keep in mind, B&N's position is that there's no official (supported) way of replacing the battery. That doesn't mean it can't be done.  

I don't think there's much else the rep could have told you. The battery is not replaceable by B&N. If the battery were dead now, it does sound like you'd be eligible for a replacement. Nobody is likely to proactively send you a replacement device free of charge before anything goes wrong. Short of saying "your unit may be a paperweight", what were you hoping he'd be able to do for you? Did you purchase an extended warranty?

I'm not fond of planned obsolesence, but my NOOK devices are not alone in this limitation. I've got a number of electronic gizmos that are sealed in this manner. That is one of the evaluation criteria I use before purchasing a device. If a device is sealed, I don't count on it for more than 3 years. Given the pace of change with tech toys, that's as long as I'll be using anything as a primary device anyhow.

Keeping old electronics running is a lot like keeping an old car going. Parts become scarcer as time goes on, and options become limited.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael

Re: Did Barnes & Noble sell Nook Tablets knowing they would become $249 paper weights?

Please, this is technology. I have computers that are quite old, and they still work. As far as cars go, there are plenty of companies that make aftermarket parts for cars.

The issue, whether I need a battery now or not, is that Barnes & Noble manufactured a product, obviously with the idea of it being sold as disposable tech, as if we purchased a few boxes of of disposal contacts.

I have an issue with that.

bobstro

And yet... you bought it. I, too, have computers that are quite old. I also have MP3 players (some of which cost more than the NT), bluetooth headsets and other itty bitty devices with (officially) non-replaceable batteries. It's a tradeoff between making sleek, sexy and slim devices and bulky boxes with slide-off covers for battery compartments. Yes, it sucks but it's not uncommon. 

I'm not sure what you were expecting from the hapless tech support agent, but surely you didn't expect him/her to give anything but the official party line? They're not exactly empowered to change product development. 

The NOOK is no different than any other product for which the manufacturer doesn't provide replacement services. You can find 3rd party suppliers for these things, but of course, they won't be around forever either. Just like those aftermarket car parts outfits you mentioned.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Regarding your battery drain: have you checked out the forums that cover this?  Do you possibly have some apps running in the background?

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

And yet... you bought it. I, too, have computers that are quite old. I also have MP3 players (some of which cost more than the NT), bluetooth headsets and other itty bitty devices with (officially) non-replaceable batteries. It's a tradeoff between making sleek, sexy and slim devices and bulky boxes with slide-off covers for battery compartments. Yes, it sucks but it's not uncommon. 

The NOOK is no different than any other product for which the manufacturer doesn't provide replacement services. You can find 3rd party suppliers for these things, but of course, they won't be around forever either. Just like those aftermarket car parts outfits you mentioned.

I agree with bobstro here.  It's actually becoming harder and harder to find a device like this with a replaceable battery.  The only ones that really offer this feature without fail (for the most part) are camera and video camera manufacturers.  In three years or so, you'll probably want the newer faster nook or some other device anyway.  It's sad to me that manufacturers have gone down this road.  Nothing is truley supported anymore because they all figure they'll fix it in the next device they put out.  They know as soon as it hits the market that it's disposable.

And what kamas716 says is worth a look also.  There have been many posts covering battery drain but I think a lot of them can be attributed to apps running in the background.  This can be corrected in most cases by downloading My App Manager from the B&N app store.  It helps a lot.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
Francesde1st

re .Barnes and Noble Nook Tablet Battery Change.

Barnes and Noble  website ....questions and answers .... says that the battery can be changed by an authorized nook service professional.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: re .Barnes and Noble Nook Tablet Battery Change.

Barnes & Noble has stated that the only solution to a battery issue is that the Nook be returned to their service location.  As I understand you will get a refurbished Nook as a replacement, not your Nook with a new battery.  By the time my battery fails I am sure I will want to purchase a new E-reader...  Check this out by going to the Nook Tablet Support Page and searching for "battery".

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

Scott-Michael; your experience is like my own.  The customer service reps in India (or which ever country they are living in) can only read scripts.  Their responses are often off topic because they have applied the wrong script for the circumstance.  I wonder if the CEO of Barnes & Noble has ever called his company's customer service number with a question.  It may cost more but how about customer service reps who can understand common "American" speaking and make intelligent responses.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

As an "American" CS rep for BN I can say with perfect certainty that speaking the same language doesn't help very much.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Can the battery of the tablet be replaced?  No.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-NOOK-Tablet/379003185

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Last I remember you can't replace and ipad battery or a galaxy tab battery as well unless its by device manufacturing professionals. i believe engadget or techcrunch just did a report on customers ipad 3 batteries heating up the device. Don't know what a lawyer can do about it. When BN clearly states its not replaceable.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
roustabout

The amazing thing to me is tha the OP was willing to post that chat log, as if it showed anything more than him teeing off on someone who is required to be civil no matter what level of buffoonery is being demonstrated for him.

On battery replacment:  as of now, all Nook Tabs are under warranty.  Once yours comes out of warranty, you have a couple of choices:  throw it away or get it fixed.

Once it's no longer under warranty, BN does not care who replaces the battery, and if you send it to me at that time, I will replace the battery for, say, $175 bucks plus the cost of the battery recycling fee. :smileyhappy:

I'll bet there's an electronics shop in your town that can do battery replacements for much cheaper than that.  There's a business in my area that charges ~100 to 125 to replace a damaged iPhone screen - much less than the money apple charges for the work. 

I've had the NC now for more than a year and the battery is holding up pretty well. 

My impression of the NT is that the battery is pretty decent, but it helps to not leave an SD card in the device - at least in my hands, yanking the card has a noticeable effect for the better on battery life. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Didact
0 Kudos

In my experience, the battery has only drained quickly when the web browser or Netflix app was left on the screen. For some reason they seem to drain the batter quickly even if the device goes to sleep. When it's on home or a book, the battery lasts longer than that of any other electronic device I have. I did actually test how fast the battery depleted with a book open a while ago. It was like 1% every 20 minutes. Maybe that's not as great as I think it is, but it's a hell of a lot better than my smart phone can manage.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

And yet... you bought it.

Ya, that's right , I bought it, and not because Barnes & Noble advertised that they do not support the battery in their $250 eReader. They sell the battery for the Nook... curiously not for the Nook Color or Nook Tablet [which by the way have essentially the same battery, with the exception of life of charge].

kamas716 wrote:

Regarding your battery drain: have you checked out the forums that cover this?  Do you possibly have some apps running in the background?

I do have Pulse, but the drain started before installing any app that would be running a background process. Could be just a crap battery.

Czechboy wrote

I agree with bobstro here. It's actually becoming harder and harder to find a device like this with a replaceable battery. The only ones that really offer this feature without fail (for the most part) are camera and video camera manufacturers. In three years or so, you'll probably want the newer faster nook or some other device anyway. It's sad to me that manufacturers have gone down this road.  Nothing is truley supported anymore because they all figure they'll fix it in the next device they put out. They know as soon as it hits the market that it's disposable.

That does not make it right. Does Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Apple advertise that they do not support the batteries in their devices? What next, $1000 HD LED TV's that last a year, requiring you to purchase another? I'd agree with you, Bob or anyone else had B&N not manufactured the first Nook, and sold the battery for it. Its a marketing choice Barnes & Noble has made that I think is unethical.

And as far as wanting to buy a new Nook Tablet in three years. Even if Barnes & Noble sold the batteries, I would not expect to purchase another Nook Tablet unless for some reason the one I have stopped working.

That being said, I don't expect the same thing here as I do with a desktop or laptop, where I can buy and replace all [or at least most] of the parts.

j-andersonjma wrote:

Scott-Michael; your experience is like my own.  The customer service reps in India (or which ever country they are living in) can only read scripts.  Their responses are often off topic because they have applied the wrong script for the circumstance.

I wondered that very thing. Bob did not come off as someone who's first language is English. Either way, where he is is extraneous. He said one thing, and the rep in email said another.

Who would want to send in a Nook to get back a refurbished product?

kamas716 wrote:

Can the battery of the tablet be replaced?  No.

No, that's not what it states. It states:

No. The rechargeable battery in your NOOK can only be accessed and replaced by authorized service professionals.

You would have to have an authorized service professional REPLACE the battery. I don't see anything that suggests they will replace my Nook Tablet, or send me a refurbished tablet in lieu of replacing the battery in MY Nook.

Soooo, what's the catch-22 here?

gabourele wrote:

Last I remember you can't replace and ipad battery or a galaxy tab battery as well unless its by device manufacturing professionals. i believe engadget or techcrunch just did a report on customers ipad 3 batteries heating up the device. Don't know what a lawyer can do about it. When BN clearly states its not replaceable.

That's the issue. One rep says it can be replaced, another says it can't, while their website says it can, but by an authorized service professional.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

Scott-Michael wrote:

[...] Ya, that's right, I bought it, and not because Barnes & Noble advertised that they do not support the battery in their $250 eReader. They sell the battery for the Nook... curiously not for the Nook Color or Nook Tablet [which by the way have essentially the same battery, with the exception of life of charge].

Whoa there, big fella. My point was that, even knowing that the batteries aren't readily replaceable by "official" methods, we (the buying public) still buy this sort of tech. B&N aren't alone in this. You'll notice that I agree with you that it's a lamentable state. 

Interestingly, replacment batteries for the NC and NT from 3rd party sources sell for different prices. In the TechReplic NT teardown, they do note the battery has a "nookcolor" prefix, though. Not sure why there's a difference in price. The good news, either way, is that you can get around B&N for about $40 if you do the work yourself. I find myself getting around B&N to do much of anything on my NOOK devices.

I do have Pulse, but the drain started before installing any app that would be running a background process. Could be just a crap battery.

The easiest way to determine if this is the case is to try running in as pristine condition as possible. You could try uninstalling new apps for a day or two to see if it helps. How much battery loss are you seeing?

That does not make it right.

No, it doesn't. But that doesn't make taking it out on a tech support rep making a lousy wage right either. The agent is stuck in their situation, probably just hoping to get home for dinner. He/she certainly can't do anything about your situation.

Does Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Apple advertise that they do not support the batteries in their devices? What next, $1000 HD LED TV's that last a year, requiring you to purchase another? I'd agree with you, Bob or anyone else had B&N not manufactured the first Nook, and sold the battery for it. Its a marketing choice Barnes & Noble has made that I think is unethical.

Advertising and ethics? I don't expect them to go together. I do think consumers have to share the blame here. Would you have bought a unit that used 4000 mAh worth of AA batteries and weighed 50% more? I would not. I suspect the majority of consumers would not. As lamentable as it is, consumers buy disposable products. Tech products are particularly disposable.

[...] And as far as wanting to buy a new Nook Tablet in three years. Even if Barnes & Noble sold the batteries, I would not expect to purchase another Nook Tablet unless for some reason the one I have stopped working.

That being said, I don't expect the same thing here as I do with a desktop or laptop, where I can buy and replace all [or at least most] of the parts.

If your concern is usability of your device past warranty, again, there are sources for do-it-yourself batteries. Even if the device is intended to be disposable, you can make the ethical choice not to dispose of it. You're even voting with your pocketbook by not buying their latest-greatest. You can still choose the ethical option.

[...] I wondered that very thing. Bob did not come off as someone who's first language is English. Either way, where he is is extraneous. He said one thing, and the rep in email said another.

Given the history of complaints about the B&N reps, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find another four or five variations. They're obviously not the source of reliable information. I'm not sure what hammering them for it proves. A complaint to B&N corporate would probably be more effective if you really want a chance of changing anything. Otherwise, we all know B&N tech support will tell you to reset your device at least once per session. That is actually a valid troubleshooting step in your case, as it will help determine if the problem is due to add-on programs, or the device hardware. Even if they did offer to swap your battery out, I'd expect to go through steps like this.

Don't worry about my writing. It pays me well. Literacy can be a curse.

[...] Who would want to send in a Nook to get back a refurbished product?

FWIW, the refurbs I've purchased have been in good-as-new condition. It might not be such a bad thing if your unit is showing wear and tear by the time you're ready for a new battery. You didn't inidicate whether you purchased the extended warranty, so the value will depend on when you decide on a swap.

At this point, I'm not sure if you're genuinely interested in determining what your (battery) problem is, or just shouting at the injustice of the world. You can replace your battery independent of B&N policy if you want to extend the usable life of your device. You can have it swapped out out if there's an actual problem and you're under warranty. You probably won't have much luck getting any B&N employee to quote your line in any official capacity. You do not have to choose disposable products if the ethics of product selection bother you.

Contributor
Akoforever
0 Kudos

You do know that many devices don't have a consumer replaceable battery right?   Take for example Iphones, Ipod touch, Archo mp3 jukebox, some handheld car GPS devices and most likely a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

That said, that doesn't mean you can't tinker with it yourself understanding that you'll be voiding the warranty.  Just saying...

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Welcome to the new way of doing business. Of course B&N sold it while knowing that it would become a paper weight. It's not new to them though, it's the way more and more companies are treating their customers. They sold that tablet as a tablet, when anyone with half a brain knows it's not really a tablet but that's another story.

Like I said, it's a normal business move now and there's probably nothing we can do about it other than stop buying a company's product after you get fleeced by them.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

TelSC wrote:

Welcome to the new way of doing business. Of course B&N sold it while knowing that it would become a paper weight. It's not new to them though, it's the way more and more companies are treating their customers. They sold that tablet as a tablet, when anyone with half a brain knows it's not really a tablet but that's another story.

Like I said, it's a normal business move now and there's probably nothing we can do about it other than stop buying a company's product after you get fleeced by them.

Tell us how you really feel.

Everyone knows Lithium batteries have a limited number of recharges. It's part and parcel of any electronic device sold these days. Quit it with the hyperbole.

Correspondent
Scott-Michael
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The number of charges is IRRELEVANT. What other companies do is IRRELEVANT. What IS relevant is principle. Barnes & Noble sells, or at least sold a battery for the NOOK, and its clear that they developed the NOOK Tablet in a way that forces the consumer into a corner. The website says the battery can only be replaced by authorized service professionals. It just so happens that Barnes & Nobles means B&N authorized service professionals.

Because most here have no problem with Barnes & Noble, and other companies apparently, sticking their middle finger up at them does not mean everyone should like it. Consumers here like having corporations tell them what they want because they are not capable of thinking for themselves. Gluttony is no excuse for bending over. IDK, maybe $250 does not mean much to most here, which would explain why it is so many are willing to toss out tech products that are still working, but for a lack of a freakin' battery.