Reader
Crystal_Cardinal
0 Kudos

Factory Reset -- On Its Own????

At 2am this morning, I heard a sound from my Nook Tablet ... It was a video playing.  The video was the 'start-up' video that you get when the Nook Tablet is new, telling you how to setup the Nook.  I stopped the video but then the Nook started taking me through the setup process.  Obviously, it had gone through a factory reset; however, I have no idea how it happened?  About 10-20 minutes prior to his, I had left an new app (the Free Friday App "Special Enquiry Detail:  Engaged to Kill") that I had downloaded & played for a short time.  The only other action that I took prior to this event was to plug the Nook in for its night-time charging (it still had plenty of charge but I wanted it ready-to-go today for my visit with the grandchildren).  I am now in the midst of trying to recover everything that was lost with this factory reset (with is really taking a lot of time); however, I am more concern with the 'why' and/or 'how' it happened.  Restoring it once is frustrating but restoring it over-and-over again is not a good thing at all.  Can someone 'accidentally request a factory reset?  Does not seem probable ... but I am at a loss at what may have happened?  Any suggestions of what may be wrong?  And, would it be a re-incurring problem? 

New User
SW13
0 Kudos

Re: Factory Reset -- On Its Own????

Happened to me this morning.  Tablet was charging, display came on, and went off, I did not read what was on the display, when I came back to the Nook it was in setup mode.  Did not have time to go through setup, as I was on my way to work.  Will I be able to retrieve all my data that was on the tablet?

Crystal_Cardinal wrote:

At 2am this morning, I heard a sound from my Nook Tablet ... It was a video playing.  The video was the 'start-up' video that you get when the Nook Tablet is new, telling you how to setup the Nook.  I stopped the video but then the Nook started taking me through the setup process.  Obviously, it had gone through a factory reset; however, I have no idea how it happened?  About 10-20 minutes prior to his, I had left an new app (the Free Friday App "Special Enquiry Detail:  Engaged to Kill") that I had downloaded & played for a short time.  The only other action that I took prior to this event was to plug the Nook in for its night-time charging (it still had plenty of charge but I wanted it ready-to-go today for my visit with the grandchildren).  I am now in the midst of trying to recover everything that was lost with this factory reset (with is really taking a lot of time); however, I am more concern with the 'why' and/or 'how' it happened.  Restoring it once is frustrating but restoring it over-and-over again is not a good thing at all.  Can someone 'accidentally request a factory reset?  Does not seem probable ... but I am at a loss at what may have happened?  Any suggestions of what may be wrong?  And, would it be a re-incurring problem? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

The NT has an 8 failed boot feature. If the device fails to boot 8 successive times, it will restore the factory firmware and do a reset. Usually, this is the result of some sort of corruption or problem resulting in a "boot loop", and this automated recovery saves you a lot of manual work. It's impossible to say for sure, but it sounds like this was tripped on your devices. I have seen my device reset if not firmly on the charger. Hopefully, this will be a one time event, but take note if you see it rebooting.

Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59

Mine did a factory reset a couple of weeks ago as well. A real PITA to re-load everything. But perhaps I should take this as an opportunity to install CM 10.2.
New User
Kristy61258
0 Kudos

I just had my Nook run the Factory Reset now for the second time in a month on it's own!!  I'm about to toss my Nook out the window.  I had problems with this new reset saying my wifi was wrong.  I checked it a number of times and I was right and B&N Nook was wrong.  Once I accessed my wifi I was unable to download the book I was reading earlier this morning, again my lovely nook was saying I was having wifi problems.  NOT!!!!  I'm glad my books are backed up on my i-phone so I can read them when my Nook crashes again.  Note, I didn't say if.  I'm just waiting!!!  Black Friday is coming up real soon, maybe it's time to buy myself an early Christmas Gift.  It won't be a Nook!!!

Frequent Contributor
Sunflower_galaxy
0 Kudos

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I had the same issue yesterday on several nooks that I couldn't download anything (my own and my friends and family's). I talked to 1800-THE-BOOK and they apologized for the inconvenience and explained that the servers were down that morning. Everything is up and running today with no problems for me. None of the nooks I was working with had any other bugs, were both black and whites and color/tablet devices and had not factory reset. So, that particular part of your problem looks like it was a B&N server problem vs a problem with your nook specifically