Distinguished Correspondent
AdamOutler

[How-To] restore the ability to sideload apps

[ Edited ]

Since most of us would throw away our tabs if they were totally locked down, here's how to un-1.4.1 your device.  Barnes & Nobel really screwed up when they locked down the Nook Tablet.  The technical community no longer backs this device up.  However, here's how you can get back to the point when this device had it's one saving grace..  Root access and side-loading.

Introduction

Making a magic SDCard which will take you back to stock 1.4.0 is easy!  This method will allow you to restore 1.4.0 firmware onto your Nook Tablet.  Personally, I think holding the buttons and halting the device boot 8 times in a row is a bit time consuming.  So, here is how you make a "Magic SDCard".

Instructions

Just follow these 4 easy steps to restore your device to 1.4.0.

1. Download this file: http://teamkomin.com/index.php?dir=NookTablet%2FStockRecovery%2F (Do not change the file name).
  2. Copy the file on a Micro SDCard.
  3. Insert the Micro SDCard into your Nook Tablet
  4. Turn on your Nook and observe a factory restoration. This will initiate Recovery Mode and flash the entire zip. acclaim_update.zip will restore your device to stock firmware and wipe all user data..Upon reboot, you have aproximately 20 minutes of wifi access before the 1.4.1 update is reloaded.
  5. Root your device using instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354487 

6. Block firmware update here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20499801&postcount=2

Conclusion

I urge Barnes & Nobel to stop locking this feature which is used by "a small percentage of users".   This "small percentage" are the geeks who recommend or denounce products vocally.  The "small percentage" are the people whom are trusted to be asked for product recommendations on a regular basis by peers.   Without the backing of geeks, this line is destined for failure.   Currently I own one because it was given to me, however, I would never pay for such a locked product. 

Now that it's open, I think I like this Nook Tablet.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: [How-To] restore the ability to sideload apps

Thanks for posting this, Adam.

One observation from the NC (and the NT recovery and update files I looked over this morning.)

If you're uncomfortable using the SQLite commands, you can extract the build.prop file from the update and use it in place of a 1.4.0 buid.prop file.  This will block the update until the next update comes around.

You need to remount your /system as r/w (root explorer will do that) and copy in the build.prop.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
AdamOutler

Someone **bleep**ed with my link and I can't edit the first post

teamkomin.com/NookTablet/StockRecovery/acclaim_update.zip

Now that it's open, I think I like this Nook Tablet.
New User
caitpoo

Thanks.

B&N needs to learn to help their consumers not restrict them.

gilgomez

AdamOutler:

Conclusion

I urge Barnes & Nobel to stop locking this feature which is used by "a small percentage of users".   This "small percentage" are the geeks who recommend or denounce products vocally.  The "small percentage" are the people whom are trusted to be asked for product recommendations on a regular basis by peers.   Without the backing of geeks, this line is destined for failure.   Currently I own one because it was given to me, however, I would never pay for such a locked product.

Thank YOU for your help!!!!  Your comments echo my own opinion and situation as I have been helping friends with their Nook Tablet and other Nook products and have recommended these products.  No longer the case!!!!  I find the restrictive and heavy handed approach that Barnes and Noble has taken against its customers totally unacceptable.

Please continue to share your expert advice and/or post via some other forum that BN cannot control.  I now do NOT trust BN at all and fear they use these same help forums against us by limiting our access to work arounds.  And they probably use these same work arounds to tighten their noose on us their customers.  Wow, totally unacceptable.

Thanks again!!!!

Reader
dragon101
0 Kudos

Read This!!!!

B&N if you do not return the ability to sideload apps from the android app store in the next month I will demand you to give my money back. And I will post a bad revew.
Reader
dragon101
0 Kudos

Re: Read This!!!!

You have 30 days
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I believe you have until the end of January to return th NT.  YOU have 28 days.  Use them wisely

dragon101 wrote:
You have 30 days

Contributor
Fred67

Just wanted to say that I agree.  I've got five Nooks in our family now (four people - two original Nooks until just recently, we got three new Nook Touches).  I was prepared to have some limitations, but the B&N app store is woefully lacking, and honestly, I've bought dozens of books (some full price because they were not yet in paperback)... I have no problem buying from the B&N app store if the app I'm looking for is in it; otherwise I want the ability to get it elsewhere... I think it's fair if you won't sell me something I be able to get it elsewhere.  There's also some books you simply don't have and Amazon does - I want the kindle app.  I know you hate that, but it's for books I can't get from you anyway, so what's the problem?

Reader 2
ftokc

Adam wrote: "...I urge Barnes & Nobel to stop locking this feature which is used by "a small percentage of users". This "small percentage" are the geeks who recommend or denounce products vocally. The "small percentage" are the people whom are trusted to be asked for product recommendations on a regular basis by peers. Without the backing of geeks, this line is destined for failure. Currently I own one because it was given to me, however, I would never pay for such a locked product." I rooted my nook the same day that I bought it. I don't think I would still own the "tablet" if there weren't "geeks" like adamoutler, Indirect, and deangibson, among so many other fine people. Keep up the great work, gang! Also, to B&N: Gathering from your past practice - if Amazon opened a book store across the street from one of your stores, you would probably break both my legs to keep me fom walking over there to buy one of their books!
Reader
dragon101
0 Kudos

Tick tock tick tock
New User
AlienX
0 Kudos

++1

Locked down devices simply generate either 'dis-interest' or 'complete domination'.

'dis-interest' means B&N won't sell as many.

'complete domination' means rooting and removing the B&N firmware/marketplace for something more open like CyanogenMod.

New User
JeannyJM
0 Kudos

You have to be kidding.  For the larger percentage of user that do not sideload this is the best product on the market for the price.  Get a life Geek!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

You are responding to a thread that has been inactive for over a year. Please don't engage in thread necromancy. A lot has changed since then. In case you haven't noticed, B&N finally acknowledged the geeks were right and has enabled access to the Google Play Store to access additional apps on their latest HD/+ series. The NT is no longer sold, thus hardly "the best product on the market" for anybody.

New User
dservati1
0 Kudos

Not sure what thread necromancy is, but I really wish the Nook Tablet software would be updated to offer Google Apps access like B&N did for the Nook HD and HD+ only seems right...
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Thread necromancy is resurrecting old threads by commenting on them. Don't hold your breath for B&N, or anyone, to add GPS to a product that a year beyond end of life. If you want GPS on your NT, your best bet would be to either root the device or buy/build a bootable microSD card with something like N2A or AFN.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716