Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

How can I erase ALL my personal data before returning the Nook Tablet?

Would like to make sure I clean out the device internal memory of my credit card information, web browser and email history prior to returning the device for a refund.  I want to protect my contacts' email accounts information as well so your advice is greately appreciated.

Thanks and happy 2012!  :smileyhappy:

raqball

Re: How can I erase ALL my personal data before returning the Nook Tablet?

Go to Settings --) Device Info --) Erase & Deregister Device
Contributor
os2k

I am not 100% sure, but I think that performing erase/dergiser from the settings menu will clear your data.The other option is to perform a factory reset by powering the nook on while holding the n button. Perhaps someone else could chime in as well.
gilgomez
0 Kudos

Maybe the reset using the hold down button........I have seen reference to that technique on XDA forums.  Just want clear instructions so there is nothing left on the device when I finish deregistering it.

Thanks for the feedback so far.  Any other suggestions or instructions regarding the factory reset process?

Happy 2012!!!!

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18

ERASE and DEREGISTER IT FIRST!

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
wjmecca
0 Kudos

I have the same question.  I went to the settings, to unregister my Nook, but it says that it will still show the books, that the only change would be that I can't use it to purchase books, etc.  I don't see an 'erase' function.

Contributor
wjmecca
0 Kudos

It figures...after I finally ask on here....I got it!! First, I held the top button down, to do that reset, which emptied my library.  Then I Unregistered it, then Reset To Factory Settings.  Thanks to you folks who posted answers to the original question here.  That sent me in the right direction!

Contributor
wjmecca
0 Kudos

Hello,

Were you able to delete your personal data?  I know it's been a month since you posted, but I will post this, in case anyone else runs across this issue.

I posted, in reply, that I was trying to do the same thing, and wasn't finding an 'erase' button.  So I held the power button in for 20 seconds, to do that reset.  That cleared my library.  Then I 'Unregistered'.  {The first time I went to Unregister, it said that the books would remain in the Nook}.  The last step was to 'Reset to Factory Settings'.  Now the Nook is just like it was before I ever put anything on it.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

When I gifted my NC to a family member, all I did was Erase and Deregister. I did not have to do anything else.

It was totally clean just like out of the box.

New User
ritikitib
0 Kudos

Hello, I went to settings and deregistered. In the process of de registering, I first read a message warning me that all my settings would be reset to how the nook was from the manufacture. Then I also read that any books that I bought on my nook would be saved. This means that my books are saved in my B&N account; not in my tablet. I hope this helps.