Contributor
Eldrod

How to Backup a Nook Tablet

Does anyone know how to backup a Nook tablet? I haven't seen an option or an appto do this. Any ideas?
Inspired Contributor
logdog

Re: How to Backup a Nook Tablet

All of your B&N content is already automatically backed up to your B&N on line account.  If you ever have to exchange (as I have) or reset your nook, all apps, books, magazines, etc. will automatically reload to your device.  If you sideload content, you should keep a copy on your PC since that will have to be redone.  

Distinguished Correspondent
raqball

While this is true to a point, data, settings and other things are not backed up... It would be nice to have this ability for us who have no interest in rooting / sideloading.. Example is game level data, browser bookmarks, general settings, app data / settings ect....
Contributor
Eldrod

That is my point exactly. There does not appear to be any way to back up anything that is not downloaded from your BN account.  I would like to be able to preserve applications settings and data files, but since you can't even see the "internal" filespace, you can't even make copy to your PC or SD card.  I have heard that there are some non-BN Android apps to do a backup, so since BN wants to make us use only their apps, I hope they get one deployed swiftly.

Correspondent
SamSpade88

If you root your NT, you could install Titanium Pro and that will take of all your settings.  See step 2 of this article:  http://liliputing.com/2011/12/how-to-block-over-the-air-updates-and-keep-root-on-the-nook-tablet.htm...

Frequent Contributor
geertm

logdog wrote:

All of your B&N content is already automatically backed up to your B&N on line account.  If you ever have to exchange (as I have) or reset your nook, all apps, books, magazines, etc. will automatically reload to your device.  If you sideload content, you should keep a copy on your PC since that will have to be redone.  

You should always backup your ebooks. There is no guarantee they will always be available at B&N to download them again. If B&N or the publisher loses the rights to the books, they will be gone.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

You can backup your ebook library by installing Nook for PC and downloading your ebooks to that.  Once the ebooks are downloaded, go to "My Documents", My Barnes & Noble Ebooks", then click on the folder containing your email address. All your ebooks can then be sideloaded to an SD card,  CD, or thumb drive for backup. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Agree. A backup program like Titanium should be in the B&N'S store. Especially if it would take into account shelves. In the meantime, had to do a erase/reregister last week (first time ever.) I have an Sd card installed and did notice that I did NOT loose settings for the following programs: Evernote Pulse Taptu And I was saving all my marked up ezpdfs on the card as well so all was pretty good. Don't really play a lot of games on it so can't help you there. Did have to go in and change other settings though (but it only took 5 minutes.)
Contributor
Eldrod

Thanks! I.m hoping B&N will see threads such as this and make it a priority.  We know they aren't keen on the rooting and sideloading activity, but it is somewhat negligent to block owners from 3rd party required functionality like backups (the EULA says you will backup your stuff), when they do not offer the same functionality in the B&N portal.

Like you I found that Evernote and Pulse did not lose their settings, but Angry Birds lost everything. I assume that since Pulse and Evernote have you create an online account, they must backup your settings that way. 

B&N needs to partner with a backup software designer to make something available to owners ASAP. This is a big disaster waiting to happen.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Actually, it's "a big disaster waiting to happen" again.

In April last year, the BN servers threw a hairball and remote wiped essentially any Nook Color that contacted BN within a 5 or 6 hour period.

Best guess is the registration database got hammered and so a bunch of registered Nook Colors phoned home, presented their tokens - which did not match the borked database - and were reset because in the BN verse, that indicated that the devices were not correctly registered.

At that time, and periodically since, folks have been asking for a backup app. 

Asus bundles a workable one with their tablets.  no root required.  It's remarkable that BN still hasn't delivered one. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 4
norsky2
0 Kudos

I had a huge Contact List and it wiped on reset. Please, B&N, get a backup app going for us!
ARNE L. BUE
Alaska eBooks Alaskan Authors
http://home.gci.net/~bue/index.html
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You should add this as a Enhancement/Issue at the Issues board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Issue-Reporting/idb-p/newNOOIssueReporting

In the meantime suggestions such as LaurieB's are very good

1) Get Nook for PC and download a copy of each of your purchases to PC.

2) Use something Like Calibre to backup your sideloaded books etc.

3) Some Apps save data in your /android/data/ folder.

Others store data in your Nook drive under various folders (usually the app name).

If you have some important app that does this, then you can back its data up to your PC.

4) Most Apps save data to app internal space that is not available. So only a proper backup app is an option there.

5) Not sure if Clippings and Notes can be saved.

New User
marmstrong89
0 Kudos

although there should be a record on your barnes and noble online account...my son deleted 3 books that I bought off my nook and now I cannot re-access them.  I'm not sure how barnes and noble will support it's users if something major were to happen.

I know when I tried to find the order for these 3 books it was buried several pages in and sometimes it would come up under orders and sometimes it wouldn't....so if there is a better way to back up the nook I would love to know, not sure I trust Barnes and Noble.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Download Nook for PC.

Download your books to it.

Find the folder where the books are saved.

Copy those books to another folder for safekeeping. Perhaps even to a SD Card.

Those books you can now read on Nook provided you remember the credit card number you used to buy them with.

Reader 4
pen564

You can get your books back just call B&N customer service and tell them that your child deleted your book and they will restore them back and if you have the order number it will be done faster.

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

You should add this as a Enhancement/Issue at the Issues board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Issue-Reporting/idb-p/newNOOIssueReporting

In the meantime suggestions such as LaurieB's are very good

1) Get Nook for PC and download a copy of each of your purchases to PC.

2) Use something Like Calibre to backup your sideloaded books etc.

3) Some Apps save data in your /android/data/ folder.

Others store data in your Nook drive under various folders (usually the app name).

If you have some important app that does this, then you can back its data up to your PC.

4) Most Apps save data to app internal space that is not available. So only a proper backup app is an option there.

5) Not sure if Clippings and Notes can be saved.

Thanks- I was going to ask if calibre serves that purpose!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, like Nook Gardener said on the other thread. Find Compulsivereader's post. It's a treasure trove of tips on how to get the most of Calibre. Calibre should include them in their help section.