New User
hayu

NO NOOK COLOR/TABLET USB

I have searched everywhere for a new USB cable for my nook tablet and tried 2 times to buy from B&N to no avail its like they just dropped the nook tablet and color for their HD a simple micro USB will not work and could even damage your nook if anyone thinks that B&N dumped us tablet/color users so we would have to get HD's and feel we can file a class action suit IM all for it a product should be covered for at least 8 to 10 years for parts like the USB cable or have aftermarket sellers available

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: NO NOOK COLOR/TABLET USB

Simple microUSB cables WILL work with the Nook Tablet and there's no way they will damage your tablet.  I use one all the time.  The difference is that it may take twice as long to recharge your tablet using a regular microUSB cable.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What omnigeek said.

I've used chargers for other devices with my Nook Tablet and Nook Color and it works fine.

You can call up at some stores and ask about cables.

I think their problem is that they can't order cables for the relatively small number of people who need new cables.

If we assume that 3.37 million Nook Colors and Nook Tablets were sold, and that 2% of them will have cable problems over the next 2-3 years, and that 10% of those have repeated cable problems, then we are talking about

7,000 to 70,000 cables needed over the next few years. Note: I'm assuming a low failure rate because most of the ones that were going to fail would have failed by now (it's 2 years since Tablet came out, 3 since Color).

If it's closer to 7,000 then it's very difficult.

Even with a figure like 70K it's not very easy because if you divide by stores and time we're talking about 4 to 10 cables per store per month.

That's a logistical nightmare.

Since Color and Tablet use microUSB cables, which are widely available, B&N has two choices -

1) To support the 7K to 70K cases of cable failure over the next 2-3 years, set up the pipeline to supply each store with 4 to 10 cables a month (assuming 70K are needed).

OR

2) Just let people buy microUSB cables elsewhere.

It's not an easy decision.

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect

Some stores have gotten small shipments of the cords at 9.95 each.  We got some, ran out, then actually got some again ... and ran out again.  So it could be worth it to keep checking back. 

Also, the cord is included in the car charging kit for Color/Tablet (along with a car adapter and a regular microUSB cord).  This is 24.95, though, but if you don't have a car adapter, at least you get a little something different and get a cord, too.

5ivedom, don't forget that some people just straight up lose their cords (usually while traveling, so that thing is gone).  That creates a little more need, too.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

The Imperfect, that's a good point. Forgot about that.

Right now I have so many cords from Tablets and eReaders wish the 'Little Magic Gnomes that make things disappear' would come take some of them away.

Correspondent
ps56k

[ Edited ]

As I mentioned in the Nook Color microUSB a long time ago....

The Nook Color USB is a specially enhanced USB cable....

the connector is longer with an extra set of power pins at the tip.

So - a normal USB cable will go in just fine, and supply the normal USB power & data,

it will just take longer to charge since you are missing the extra power pins.

You can see this if you compare a normal USB cable with the Nook special USB charging cable.

Reader
RC_News
0 Kudos

Buy the car charger -- it comes with 2 cables (NC/NT & 2nd ed).

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
jelabarre59
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

What omnigeek said.

I've used chargers for other devices with my Nook Tablet and Nook Color and it works fine.

You can call up at some stores and ask about cables.

I think their problem is that they can't order cables for the relatively small number of people who need new cables.

If we assume that 3.37 million Nook Colors and Nook Tablets were sold, and that 2% of them will have cable problems over the next 2-3 years, and that 10% of those have repeated cable problems, then we are talking about

2% failure?  From my experience , if the number of Nook Tablet/Nook Color models is "X", the number of replacement cables would be 3X (if you use the P.o.S. cables B&N sells).  I'm just hoping to keep some solution for the year or so the NT will continue working.  Then I'll have to do with whatever cheap knock-off Android tablet I can find to hold me over.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Well, I'm not sure what the exact failure rate is.

However, it's very interesting that lots of people don't get failures and some people get cable after cable failing.

So perhaps it has to do with some percentage of Nook Tablets and Colors having a faulty plug on the device, and those are the ones where the cable fails.

If the cable was the problem - How could it be that some users have ZERO failures and some have failure after failure?

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed

Everyone seems to be tip-toeing around the possibilty that it is the user.

That's what I'd be looking into if some users are still on original cable but others have gone through a cable every few months.

Yes, I know... That viewpoint isn't "politically correct".

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I have 4 NC/NT devices. 3 of the cables are fine. One had problems within weeks of purchase. I'm either selectively clumsy, or they have a fairly dismal quality control process, unless you want to argue that's a typical failure rate. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I have 4 NC/NT devices. 3 of the cables are fine. One had problems within weeks of purchase. I'm either selectively clumsy, or they have a fairly dismal quality control process, unless you want to argue that's a typical failure rate. 

One had problems within weeks of purchase.  But have you had multiple cables fail or only that one?  I think that's the point he was making, yes, a cable can fail, but what are the odds that one person would get 4 or 5 bad cables in a row and others are still on the original cable with no problems.  I happen to be one who hasn't had any cable issues, but I also didn't have tghe cracking button issue on my N1E until it was more than 2 years old.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point Wulfraed:

Everyone seems to be tip-toeing around the possibilty that it is the user.

The problem is you have to make the device user-proof.

Basically, user expectations being what they are, even if you give an option to mess things up and users do, user expectation is that you're liable.

One of the Kindles had those hooked things for attaching a case and getting light powered by Kindle. Some users would be very violent/rough in how they hooked it in. The cases started cracking.

Well, there was a class action lawsuit and Amazon had to apologize and replace.

This USB cable thing doesn't seem the same to me. Since lots and lots of people get it. So some cables must be bad.

However, for the users who run through 5-6 cables - there you have to wonder. Is there something in those users' method of plugging in and out that's causing the problem? did they just get Nooks where the usb port itself is broken or loose?

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Of the many possibilities that can affect the cords, some people, though I definitely realize not all, will plug in their nook, then lean it upright with the cord on the bottom getting tilted a bit from the pressure of the angle with the nook on it. Over time, this can make the cord "wiggly" until it gets too loose to work.  It still gets replaced, because the cord should be a little more sturdy than than, but in the meantime, it's a good habit to use the nook sideways while it's plugged in.  I realize there are certainly other things that can happen, but for a small group of people, this may help the cords last longer.  (I do this with my nook and cord, and it's helped me to still be on my original cable.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only issue being tiptoed around, and only here, is the fact that the NC/NT cable design was poorly done. Take a look through the 1,018 reviews on the B&N web site. 855 are 1 star, and a good number of these are actual written comments with explanations, not just idle children chatting. While largely complementary of B&N's customer service acceptance in replacing the cords, it's pretty clear that cable issues are not limited to just a "few clumsy users". Given B&N's record, I doubt they would have been so willing to replace cables had there not been an actual problem.

That long shroud on the proprietary uUSB places a lot of strain on the socket inside the device.  There is no real strain relief for lateral movement, either on the cord or device. Head over to the XDA forums for an exposition on loose sockets and other problems resulting from this. The cord itself is also poorly done, with a small circuit board inside the 'n' housing. Again, plenty of breakdowns over on XDA. 

Do user behaviors add to this? Sure. My son tripped over his. The problem is, though, that a simple goof that most devices can sustain without failure tends to be deadly to these fragile,  expensive and now scarce cables. On most devices, the cable is fairly robust. Not so on the NC/NT. 

IIRC, B&N stated that one of the reasons behind the new connector on the HD/+ was to avoid these very failures. I assume they've got the data to base that decision on. 

The devices are old and now mostly out of warranty, so I'm not expecting B&N to provide replacements forever. I just find it annoying and petty when these little aspersions start to be made about the users, with one notable party in particular happy to that the user might be at fault in all cases. The damned cables are notoriously fragile and failure prone.