Reader 4
maratree
0 Kudos

New Downloads Cause Older Ones To Be Deleted

This concerns non-B&N reading material downloaded directly to my tablet. A couple days ago I downloaded some epubs to my library files. I know I have to power off then back on for those to appear in my files. When I did so I discovered the new ones had been uploaded but the count on my files downloaded still remained the same. A search on my Shelves saw that at least one of them had been emptied ot, and when I checked the librsry content those files were no longer there. With the new uploads I should have had a total count of 633, but there was no change to the original count of 627. I did a couple more power offs and ons and each time I lost one more file. I don't know which files are gone unless I'll need them in the future. Checked my available space for non-B&N items and it indicates I still have 87% space available. What gives, and how can this be fixed? Thanks for any help with this.
Reader 4
maratree
0 Kudos

Re: New Downloads Cause Older Ones To Be Deleted

Did further investigation and discovered there's a new B&N app WOODWING that has apparently been uploaded to my nook. I press to open and am told the Library app is not working and am directed to Force Close. With a sinking feeling I go to my library files and yep, I am minus one more file. So with the Netflix snafu, this is piled on? C'mon!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Woodwing, a new app?

That's interesting. IT's a Digital Publishing Solution. not sure why it would be present on your Nook. Did you get NookPress or something added to your B&N account recently?

Woodwing - http://www.woodwing.com/en/tablet-publishing-overview

I can't think of why it would delete a file. Perhaps it tries to open a file by default and start. It fails to start and then the file it was opening gets deleted.

I think you should contact B&N. No logical reason why a digital publishing tool is on your Nook. Are you sure B&N installed it automatically?

Reader 4
maratree
0 Kudos

I saw the app in the same section as the AMV that was also automatically sent to Nook users. It has the same logo notation as the AMV app. I checked my account and the app isn't listed as something I downloaded. Yet again another file is missing from my library.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Then it might be a background download.

Do you have App Killer. Use that to uninstall the new app.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

I just checked and the Woodwing app has magically appeared on my Nook Tablet as well. Does anybody know why? I have not tried to open it.  

Reader 4
maratree
0 Kudos

Don't have app killer. When I press the woodwing icon there's no delete option.
Contributor
CarmelaM
0 Kudos

I discovered Woodwing on my NookColor today, too. I do have AppKiller, but it doesn't list Woodwing as installed.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Would someone at B&N please ask the team to stop doing these background installs.

These silent installs seem to bother people a lot. AMV was supposedly needed for magazine reading.

OK, not ideal. but one app that's needed for magazines is fine.

Why Twitter and the other apps as silent installs. And now this new one?

It's getting to be a real bother to get all these apps installing magically.

Contributor
KellieKatLady

Agree 100%. I have a Nook Color. I am tired of silent downloads that I neither want nor need. On top of that, all 3 apps - Twiiter, AMV, and Woodwing are all in a perpetilual state of downloading. I have appkiller and my app manager. I deleted Twitter at least 5 times and it keeps coming back. B&N PLEASE stop sending these apps.
Contributor
CarmelaM

I contacted the email address listed in the info about the Woodwing app: support@book.com. Here is part of the reply:

>>We appreciate you taking time and bring this issue to our notice about the WoodWing application. Please be advised that we are receiving emails from other customer regarding the same issue. However we have forward it to the concerned department and they are working diligently and we hope to correct this situation shortly.<<

Perhaps if everyone having this problem emails them the fix will get a higher priority. Unfortunately, the response also said I could fix the constant installing problem by restarting my Nook and updating my apps. I've tried that multiple times. Doesn't work.

I used to love my NookColor and recommended it to all my friends and family interested in ereaders. That's no longer the case in light of the poor response I've received regarding this issue.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

CarmelaM wrote:

I contacted the email address listed in the info about the Woodwing app: support@book.com. Here is part of the reply:

>>We appreciate you taking time and bring this issue to our notice about the WoodWing application. Please be advised that we are receiving emails from other customer regarding the same issue. However we have forward it to the concerned department and they are working diligently and we hope to correct this situation shortly.<<

Perhaps if everyone having this problem emails them the fix will get a higher priority. Unfortunately, the response also said I could fix the constant installing problem by restarting my Nook and updating my apps. I've tried that multiple times. Doesn't work.

I used to love my NookColor and recommended it to all my friends and family interested in ereaders. That's no longer the case in light of the poor response I've received regarding this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will email them as well.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Carmela, thanks for checking up on this.

I have the same problem as you i.e. I love my Nooks but can't recommend/gift them because of these small things that keep happening. This last holiday season was the first one where I didn't gift anyone any Nooks (neither eReader nor Tablet).

B&N in its Press Release talks about 'disappointing sales'. Perhaps they should look long and hard at what percentage of their sales are due to

word of mouth referrals

gifts for friends and family

and then look long and hard at who/what team is making the Nook software and messing up so many sales for them.

They have beautiful hardware and a good, loyal customer base and good store coverage and good store support.

They are letting a few issues like software issues and phone support issues mess up the whole product line.

New User
MadyLM
0 Kudos

I too have these 3 apps on my Nook Color. 
When I live chatted BN, they said this
"I regret to inform you that the apps which are updated by BN over the air cannot be deleted."
Turns out that AMV (adobe magazine viewer), WoodWing (another magazine enhancer) and Twitter are sent out from BN to every single Nook, wether we like it or not. 
They also said this
"This are the apps automatically updated by the BN over the air as per the user convenience."
I don't think it's very convenient to have these apps wasting and sucking battery from my Nook.
"The apps are pre-installed for the enhanced magazines so that you can view the magazines without any difficulty."
I know that these apps were not on my nook when I bought it a year and a half ago...so are they just now 'pre-installed'?
"We regret to inform you that the pre-installed apps cannot be deleted or arhived."

And when I said this:

It's just kinda sad and disappointing that I was not made aware that I would be sent apps on my Nook when I purchased it.

Shirley: We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction, and we would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns. These issues should have been thoroughly resolved upon your initial contacts with us, and we are truly sorry any difficulties you received.

I really don't think BN has their act together. 

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If you've read any of the the many AMV threads you'd have seen that investigations show it had always been on the device. What has changed is that a recent update gave it a visible icon (which I do find perplexing as the base reader apps aren't designed to be explicitly opened rather than opening when the book is selected).

Baron Wulfraed