Contributor
dpersad978
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Locked in Recovery

I've had a Nook Tablet 16 GB for quite some time now and I've found myself to be using it less and less, because I still buy physical books, however I will be traveling quite a lot this summer so I, once more, have a need for it. After the warranty ran out last year some time, I was looking to figure out a way to install stock Android somehow, but I wasn't sure how. I ended up formatting the internal flash storage to allow for the custom recovery and to install Android. I'd like to know if there are any ways of re-flashing the recovery to the B&N one, and to re-install the B&N version of Android. Or could I bring it straight to a B&N store and have them repair it?

Here are some images of the boot-up sequence:

Nook Boot.PNG

(This occurs right after the initial boot screen with the normal Nook logo and the Adobe copyright information; I get a much larger Nook logo in the middle of the screen with no other text or images.)

Nook Recovery.PNG

(This occurs after the previous image; after about 30 Sec. it will load the CWM-Internal Recovery and I can't do anything after that.)

D. Persad
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Locked in Recovery

This question seems more like something that could be answered best over on the XDA forums. I doubt that B&N will have anything to do with it since you were messing with the OS.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Am I the only one who thought of Lindsay Lohan after seeing the "Locked in Recovery" title here?
Contributor
dpersad978
0 Kudos

Perhaps you're right; maybe I should consult those on the XDA Forums, however, if I were to bring this to a B&N Store I still think they would service it. Although, they might charge a fee, which I'm not hoping for. Thanks for the quick response.

D. Persad
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

dpersad978 wrote:

Perhaps you're right; maybe I should consult those on the XDA Forums, however, if I were to bring this to a B&N Store I still think they would service it. Although, they might charge a fee, which I'm not hoping for. Thanks for the quick response.

They don't "service" any of them.  

If it's not rooted, you might get a replacement device if it's inoperable.  If it has clearly been tinkered with you're probably not going to get that replacement.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The closest they get to "service" is the repartitioning operation to add room for purchased content by shrinking the user space partition. As I understand the process, they use a special boot SD card for that.

Baron Wulfraed
roustabout

a nook tab booting to clockwork has definitely been fiddled with :smileyhappy:

There is a complete, flashable bn os for the tablet that I've seen on xda.  as long as the partition table is intact that may well be fixable.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
dpersad978
0 Kudos

I saw the posts on XDA that had a stock 1.4.2 recovery images, but every time I attempt that something similar to this occurs:

(There's a red "X" and the device just shuts down after a while, and when rebooted, it loops to CWM.)

And there's where the issue is; the partition table is no longer intact. I understand that there was some methods that provided decent results for the users that required them to ABD into their devices, mess around a bit and then restore using one of the various images out there, and I've got no idea how to do that. Additionally, I was looking at the total wipe method, but I've had barely any success with anything I've done.

D. Persad
Contributor
dpersad978
0 Kudos

On that topic, would that mean that I'd be able to physically bring it to any local B&N store and have them attempt to repair the partition tables and restore the Nook to its stock operating system? Additionally, do you believe they'd charge for a service like that? I do know its possible to be done at home, I just personally don't know how.

D. Persad
roustabout

The disk that can do the resize may not help you - I home rolled a resize on my own before BN had one available - that disk may only touch two partitions on the Nook Tablet, not all of them.

You can certainly ask the local store to try using the resize card on your device, and it might work - but you should be very clear to them that you understand you made a mistake, that you would appreciate them taking a run at it, and that if it doesn't work you're willing to buy an HD to replace the tablet. 

If the resize works, you should then be able to get that flashable 1.4.2 to work, so bring a copy with you and try to make it an interesting and fun thing for the staff to help out with. 

At current prices, you could buy four of the HDs for what I'd charge to do the repair since my research time is valuable to me.   And the HD is superior in every possible way to the Nook Tablet - better display, better processor, and you can have the Google app store without completely borking your device :smileyhappy:

Frankly, the damage your device has sustained is a result of willful abuse.

Returning it to BN and expecting them to assist with a repair is not unlike hammering a nail through the display so you can have a second mounting attachment, then going to BN with the expectation that they'll assist with a repair as the display no longer works. 

This is why I suggest that your approach not be an expectation but a hat-in-hand, humble, can we try this before I give up and buy a new device? 

I know the family of devices well, and the modifications to them well, and it would still take me some time to recover functionality on your device - I'd need to spend a few hours reading up on how to do so.  The cost to me of doing it for you would far exceed the cost of replacing the device with a new one.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
dpersad978
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help! This was the perfect answer I was looking for. And besides, I was already considering a Nook HD/+ anyway, so who knows, maybe I'll end up walking away with a new Nook instead?

D. Persad