Contributor
os2k
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Store - "A Problem Occurred"

I can't seem to get the Nook store (apps or books) to load up on my NT. I am getting an error message - "A Problem Occurred". Scrabble app won't start either. Web and email, as well as most apps work just fine. 

Is the store down / overwhelmed, or is the problem on my end?

Contributor
Inquisitive30

Re: Nook Store - "A Problem Occurred"

I also got this message and upon investigating I found that I had filled up my Nook 1 gig allowed to be used already.  My Nook color was trying to download and didn't have anywhere to store the download so it errored out.  I have also seen this come up when the Nook could not connect to my wireless properly or when my wireless I connected to is redirecting the Nook  to another page, mainly a proxy server page at my company.

New User
AvadReader
0 Kudos

My problem started day before yesterday. When I go to the B&N Store (SHOP) I get nothing. The browse the nook stage and popular lists appear but are empty. When I search for something I ge tthe following:

A Problem Occurred

Sorry, a problem has occurred. Please try again. If you continue to receive this error, visit nook.com/tablet/support

I've tried visiting that site and it's less than helpful. I have 0.94GB free of the available space on my nook plus I have a 16 GB SD Card.

I haven't tried the deregister process. I did change my user password on the website so I wonder if that is why the Nook won't work, but there is no where on the nook to update my account password.

Anyone else have any good ideas?? I'm really frustrated by this. I've had it for 3 days down and it's having problems.

Contributor
os2k
0 Kudos

I am still stuck in the same situation. I did check, and my available space is around 90%.

I even called tech support - they suggested to reinstall the update manually, which I tried but the tablet wouldn't finish installing - I think it is due to the update already installed on my NT.

I would rather not do a factory reset if possible.

I do think the latest update (1.4.1) is culprit here.

I hope 1.4.2 is coming soon.

New User
AvadReader

I do not believe 1.4.1 update to be the culprit because I never had it. I was/am stock 1.4.0. After Erase/De-Registering my device I was able to restore and then get my Nook store back on the device.

Pain in the butt process but it worked.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

So, I get this error ALL the time when I try to logon to this forum from my pc.  LOL.  Haven't  seen it (yet!) from my nook. 

To the OP:  The apps that work fine, were they preloaded?  Do any that you have purchased work?  Did you purchase via PC and browser?  Or are you entering the shop directly (On the NT, click the "n" one time, then a menu comes up, 3rd tab over says "shop". )   If you purchased via PC, when you are in the Apps library, have you synced? (circular arrows on bottom left hand corner.)  Just throwing ideas out that might work (and trying to narrow down where the problem is starting.)

Re: to NC user with 1G of memory --- you can go to a B&N store and have them repartition it for you so you will have 5g for apps (but then you will lose the same amount of space for sideloaded materials.)

Two other things to try are going into the web settings and clearing your cache.  And the other thing that sometimes will clear "errors" is the hard power off (when go to power off, instead of clicking botton to power off, just keep holding the power off button.  Wait a few minutes, and then turn it on again. 

Contributor
os2k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

NookGardener wrote:

To the OP:  The apps that work fine, were they preloaded?  Do any that you have purchased work?  Did you purchase via PC and browser?  Or are you entering the shop directly (On the NT, click the "n" one time, then a menu comes up, 3rd tab over says "shop". )   If you purchased via PC, when you are in the Apps library, have you synced? (circular arrows on bottom left hand corner.)  Just throwing ideas out that might work (and trying to narrow down where the problem is starting.)

Two other things to try are going into the web settings and clearing your cache.  And the other thing that sometimes will clear "errors" is the hard power off (when go to power off, instead of clicking botton to power off, just keep holding the power off button.  Wait a few minutes, and then turn it on again. 

Thanks for the replay. The apps that work fine were both preloaded and new ones, however, the new apps were free (Showtime, priceline). The only app I have issues with is the paid one (Scrabble).

It was purchased on the nook itself.

Once I archived it, it would not re-download. (I get an error message).

I tried clearing the cache, as well as a hard power-off. I think my NT just lost my account credentials.

It looks like I will have to perform and erase/de-register, but I will lose all of my sideloaded apps...

SInce I am not going to root this device, I guess I will have to wait and see of BN will allow sideloading again with the next software update.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Erasing and deregistering is a PITA.  Only to be done if all else fails.  Have you tried unarchiving it from the website? And then re-syncing?  I'm out of ideas here.  Sorry

Contributor
os2k
0 Kudos

NookGardener - thanks again for your help. I am out of ideas as well. I did try archiving on the website, the problem is that my NT lost all connection to the store - so I can't even sync.

I'll give it a few more days,and see if anything changes...

In the meantime, I can still play Scrabble on myNC or on the NT with wifi turned off. I can't make any new purchases on the NT though.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Avad Reader,

Your issue is definitely the change in password, which will probably require your to deregister and reregister. as you can only input the correct password during the registration process.

Or, you can try changing your password back to the prior one on the B&N website.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
os2k
0 Kudos

I finally gave up last night and performed a factory reset (power on with the n key pressed). It did fix my store access problem, but I lost all of my previously sideloaded apps as well as the ability to load them back (nook resets the version 1.4.1). Luckily I have a nook color with cm7 dual boot, so I still can get android market and other apps. Thanks again for everybody's help.