Contributor
ibelieve1968
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Tablet Battery Draining to red when not using

My nook tablet has been draining to red in just 8 hours or so when it's not even being used. I am running a live wallpaper, have an SD card installed, and wifi is on. I do not have email setup and brightness is down very very low....maybe 20%. I have noticed that the screen seems to be coming on frequently because the cover pushes the n button when the cover is closed. I did not have this problem with my nook color so I am confused. Please help?
Contributor
jlmwrite
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet Battery Draining to red when not using

Try disabling your live wallpaper.

Many live wallpapers are battery hogs -- especially if your screen is coming on as you describe.

Distinguished Correspondent
keithlm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the same basic problem... I'm wondering if this is normal or if I have a problem. (I had the original nook which lasted for days on a single charge... so this is frustrating.)

I have even followed these steps:

1. Restored the default image.

2. Turned wi-fi off. (No other config change.)

3. Rebooted. (Cold boot.)

4. Done nothing other than read books.

Even doing the above my battery will be at about 15% at around noon the next day.  Even if it was at 100% at 10pm the night before. I read for 90 minutes last night and perhaps an hour or two this morning. Nothing else was run. Getting 3 to 4 hours of battery while doing only reading is very frustrating. It is worse if I actually do anything else.

I wonder if a certain amount of these units have a battery problem and I just happened to get a bad one.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

keithlm wrote:

I wonder if a certain amount of these units have a battery problem and I just happened to get a bad one.

I don't think so. On mine, at least, the battery seems to last as long as expected when constantly in use. It is only the problem of the battery draining when not in use that bugs me.

keithlm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ah... I've never really tried timing it while constantly on.  I'll charge it to 100% and then turn off the snooze and see how long it can sit there on a book page.

My prediction is that when "always on" it will drain about the same rate that it is draining now while snoozing; about 15% per hour.

SIDE NOTE: Perhaps this is a conspiracy to make me want to buy another e-ink reader for backup.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

I should probably have mentioned that I do use an SD card, and that the problem doesn't always occur. I have not tied it any specific event (opening a web browser, opening a certain book, etc.), but I frequently have problems.

Just to be a devil, I'll point out that I could probably narrow down the problem if the device was a little more open. It is hard to diagnose the system without the tools to do so... :smileywink:

Contributor
ibelieve1968
0 Kudos

I got rid of the live wallpaper and keep the wifi off most of the time unless I need it and it has helped dramatically.  I did test the wifi theory and my battery dropped 8% in 30 minutes of reading with the brightness turned all the way down wit the wifi on and only dropped 4% in 30 minutes with it off.  Haven't tested the live wallpaper ion the same way. 

keithlm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I removed my microSD card and put all side-loaded books onto the main drive.

At this time it seems to be dramatically better on battery life. It doesn't seem to be dropping while sleeping like it was; perhaps the microSD card is keeping it from sleeping correctly.

That is: Maybe. I 'm still testing; but the fact that it didn't drop in the last 12 hours while sleeping is very encouraging... previously with the microSD card it would have dropped at least 40%-60% in that amount of time.

Although it could be the 1.4.1 update that did this? You can't really make two changes at close to the same time or you get mixed results. Either way it seems that one or the other makes my battery life MUCH MUCH better. Making me a happy nookster. (Nookstanian? Nookii? Nooker? Nookman? Nookesian? Nookonian? Che-Nook?)

keithlm
0 Kudos

BTW: It's been almost 6 hours testing with it on suspend/sleep and it hasn't even dropped by a single percent.

Which is exactly what I would expect. (Not dropping like a rock as if it was turned on the entire time even when it was manually put into suspend/sleep mode.)

So... some more testing. Once I double test and verify the microSD card is what is keeping it active I'll maybe see about submitting an "official" problem report. (Do they even have an official mechanism for that?)

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If it turns out to be your MicroSD card then I don't have that issue. I use a Transcend 32gb card and I can go days and days without much of a niggle (?) on battery drain. 

Is it possible you have an app on the card that is active?  If not, try reformatting the card and see if that changes things.  Then start to add your files with known no-drain activity e.g. pictures or movies or music files (unless of course you use them) back to it until you have everything back to where it was before.  Another suggestion is try another MicroSD (clean and formatted) card in the short-term for battery drain testing.

keithlm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Right now I'm enjoying some battery life. 9 hours on suspend and it is still at 99%. As should be expected.

But yes... as you suggest the next step would be to plug a newly formatted card in and see if that affects anything. (Without using it.)

Then I will side-load some pdf files (actually e-pub, I converted them) to the drive but NOT use them and see if that changes anything.

Then I will try using the file that is there. (I've been reading books from the microSD card... so I'm thinking it might be possible that if you leave a book opened from the external card it might not allow the unit to sleep correctly?

If that is the case then I can verify that it is true and then try manually closing all files before I put the unit to sleep and see if that fixes it. If so then we'll know the cause and a work-a-round until they get a fix.

New User
nhmaina
0 Kudos

i am curious keithlm if you now believe its the software upgrade or the sd card.  I am loosing about 5% an hour just sitting with the tablet doing nothing, i.e. off.  The internet is also off.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

The update to 1.4.1 definitely improves battery life.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

@nhmaina Sounds like something is running in the background for you still. If you set up email, go in and change your settings so isnt checking every 5 minutes (if email is set up this way, doesnt care if you are connectec to wifi or not.) Then power all the way down (this should turn everything off.) Turn back on and see how it does. If that doesnt work, turn it off again and take out the sd card. Software upgrade hasnt changed my battery life. Hope this helps.
New User
TimoteoDosGatos
0 Kudos

I received a Nook tablet for Christmas. About a week ago - maybe a bit less - I fully charged my Nook. I disabled wi-fi, turned the screen brightness way down, set the sleep timer to 15 min., and read a book I had downloaded for about 1-1 1/2 hours, then turned the Nook completely off.

This evening, I got out the Nook, turned it on, and it said the battery was too low to be used!! The device was OFF - how could the battery drained, esp. with wi-fi turned off? I am not using an SD card. There should be nothing keeping it awake. I don't know what version of the OS I have, nor do I know how to get updates to it yet.

Is there a firmware bug that is causing my Nook battery to drain even when the Nook is turned completely off?

The first post in this thread has a comment on it that says, "Solved!" (something like that), but I didn't see any solution there - just more discussion about the battery problems.

If this was a common occurrence, I would think I would have read about it on the tech sites I follow on-line.

Anyone find a solution to this problem? I also emailed B&N, but I have had very little luck with tech support from ANYONE. They usually reply with a "canned" message asking for information I already sent them, or not answering the question at all so I am not expecting too much from B&N tech support.

Maybe it's like the iphone 4 reception problem? Job's answer: "there is no problem.You're holding the phone wrong".

Reisnice
0 Kudos

Have you noticed that the battery % is shown when you tap on the battery/time icons at the bottom right of the screen - along with the wifi on/off? I would charge it, check that the battery says 99% at least, turn it fully off (hold down the power button until it asks you whether you want to shut down). Wait a couple hours, turn it on and check the battery %. If it's down any, I'd say there's a short somewhwere. If not, note the % and just push the on/off button quickly to put it to sleep. Wait a couple more hours and check again. Even sleep shouldn't run it down that fast without the music player, wifi, or email being on.
New User
shtell
0 Kudos

battery not charging

My NT keeps turning off without warning and then won't recharge correct. It stays off  for hours then starts up and recharges but takes hours to get to 100%.  Went to the store and got a new charger/then went back a couple of days later and they gave me a new NT. Shut down last night at 8pm and has been on the charger till now(130pm) Still not charged/on.  Taking it back again for the 4th time.