New User
taylorterv

Nook Tablet Web Browser Freezing

I really wanted to love the Nook Tablet, really, truly.

But, I am disappointed in the performance...the blazing, hot speeds diminished shortly after the 1.4.1 download and the web browser began to freeze up for the next week.

I came to these boards and saw that this was a perennial problem. I also saw that BN customer service didn't seem to be too responsive to the issue based on several other poster's similar dilemmas. This, coupled with the lack of response here by BN Administrators to individual posters gave me even more cause for concern.

It was with a sad heart that I brought my Nook Tablet back to the BN brick & mortar store where I purchased it. It was with a sinking, sadder heart that in-person customer service was lackluster at best. Without getting into too much minutia, after much back and forth Q&A where I assured the CS rep that I was a normal, non-sideloading, average user; that nothing was wrong with my wifi at home; that yes, the device was powered down completely several times after the 1.4.1 download; I was told that my formerly beloved Nook Tablet would need to be re-registered, and even that would not guarantee a fix to the problem, I decided to return the device. I had visions of a previous dissatisfactory electronic purchase, albeit not a BN product, but one with similarly "buggy" issues starting from Day One of use and leading to many, many blue screens of death which in turn led to many hours spent on the phone with customer service, loss of use and eventual return. 

I had high hopes...I had planned on buying Nook Tablets for both my parents but based on my brief, disappointing experience, alas, that will not happen.

What will happen, however, it that this experience has driven me into the arms of a certain brand, named after a forbidden fruit...hello I***2.

New User
howrselouver
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet Web Browser Freezing

We bought my Nook Tablet the first week it came out.  I have used it non-stop since I got it, but the internet froze on it yesterday.  I completely powered it off and back on and the internet is working again.  Yeah! 

New User
wizardSC

I bought my NT at the BN store the first week it came out and experienced browser lockups repeatedly from day one.  I finally stopped by the store when the unit was locked to show them the behavior.  They were helpful but I had to call in after that and customer service replaced the unit. That was a few weeks ago.

I still have the lockups happening on the new NT and it is the device.  When this happens you can't refresh or go to another page as if the internet connection is broke.  My phone, and wife's color nook, are both fine and share the same WiFi.  I have two different wireless networks and it behaves the same on both (as the old one did in the store).

I'd like to see BN either fix this or allow us to load an alternative browser.  I currently use DolphinHD on my android phone and much prefer it to the standard droid product.

From reading these boards it sounds as if this is a recurring problem for many people - maybe we can bring some exposure to the issue so it can be addressed!

I really like the NT and bought it just to read and browse the web.  I handle all else on my phone or desktop.  I can deal with an occasional lockup but it's happenind much more frequently for me to be happy with it (every couple of days).

Reader
mzjackson

Well, Now I see what my issue is... My browser is not working at all..  I just powered it off, and it looks to be working.. Yes I know that this is an e reader.. But Yes I do like to go online sometimes. Also it was working fine before that update..

Reading is an escape. When the dishwasher, washer and dryer are all going. I am sitting by a pool reading.
New User
DJC-Tyler

Well, got my answer for sure!  I was seriously hoping my "browser freezing" issue was NOT common.  I'm more than a little disappointed!  I love the Nook Tablet and its features, but with the non functioning web browser -- and no other browser option -- I feel like I've been ROOKED!

I'm even more disappointed to learn of BN's apathy to resolving this issue, which I find extremely shortsighted and naive on their part to think they can remain competitive in today's market without a sustainable reputation for customer service!

New User
tracysj60

Come on BN, get this fixed!

New User
lmcc67

[ Edited ]

Wow, I thought I might be an isolated problem but it looks like this browser freeze-up is sadly very common. Got my Nook on Christmas and as of yesterday my browser has been locked on one page - can't go to any other sites. But I can access my e-mail and use internet-reliant apps like Words With Friends. And of course the B&N store opens in a flash.

I tried shutting the thing off but I think I need to power down completely and reboot. How do you do this?

Meanwhile, count me as very disappointed, B&N. I got my daughter a Kindle Fire and now wish that was the tablet my family would have gotten for me. B&N - you need to fix this.

New User
MeowAndBow
0 Kudos

I think everyone is running in to this. the work around, enable device security, enable security on the web browser, it will have a green check mark once that is done, go to nook home, it will show browser disabled. Go back to security setting enable device, enable browser. Go back to home page, select web browser, it should work again. YouTube videos seem to crash it most often.

New User
Ice_Mother

One hand I am happy that others are having the same problem.  But on the other hand it is disconcerting that so many are having this problem.  I do find that eventually I can press anywhere on the web page and it will force close and then the web browser will work again.  What I have not figured out is what I do to get to the force close screen.  It seems to be more by luck than by actual set steps.  Does anyone else know how to bring up the force close screen?

New User
icanc4

1/14/2012

Same here, sad to say.   My web browser has been locked up for almost a week now.   I was going to go into the store tomorrow but thought I would check here first.    Glad to see it's not a problem of my own but not happy that it's happening in the first place.   I want to try that workaround that Meow gave us but I can't get past the first step.   How do I enable device security??

New User
icanc4

Okay, I found the workaround no problem and it DID actually solve the problem.   Only thing is now every web page I try locks it up and I have to do the workaround to fix it.   Any word as to if they are going to fix this?    I'm seriously considering returning it.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

Try the new Puffin browser. It's free and I haven't experienced any freezing while in use.

Contributor
duckwar
0 Kudos

A reboot fixed my issue...i use dolphin browser.
New User
icanc4
0 Kudos

I'm not familiar with either the Puffin or Dolphin browser.     What are they?

Contributor
her-hd
0 Kudos

Okay so yesterday, I was trying to open a local newspapers website and after about a minute of it trying, I hit the stop button.  Went back and tried again, after another couple of minutes I gave up, and hit the stop button again. I got an about Error message at the top and a blank white screen. I tried clearing history, etc. But it wouldn't navigate from this screen.  Held my finger on it, and got the force close screen, clicked okay, and it closed.  I opened the web and it went to the last screen I had been using and just sat there, I couldn't click on anything on the page to make it change, nor clicking on a favorite would it do anything.

I was about to call support today, when I decided to read the entire Nook Guide.  There was a paragraph about how to perform a soft reset.  It said to turn off the Nook, then hold the power button in for 20 seconds, release and hold in again for two seconds to power up the Nook again.

This worked my browser is working again.  I don't know if it will last, but it was better than doing a hard reset.  Surprised an admin has not made any suggestions here. 

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Try the new Puffin browser. It's free and I haven't experienced any freezing while in use.

Same here.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

icanc4 wrote:

I'm not familiar with either the Puffin or Dolphin browser.     What are they?

The free Puffin Browser App was recently added to the Nook Store; click this link to read the description, user reviews, and (if you like) download the app.

The also-free, but more feature-rich Dolphin Browswer App is accessible at the Apps Store and Android Market; if you've updated to 1.4.1, it can only be accessed if your NT is rooted or can sideload apps.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41

Hi All,

A soft reset should clear this issue up for you, (hold the power button down for 15-20 seconds, then power your device back on). However, if you continue to run into this problem or that does not resolve it, please PM me with the following:

When did the error occur? (page load, navigating, opening browser, etc)

What page were you on?

Have you tried anything else?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, hopefully we can work out a resolution quickly.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Contributor
heav
0 Kudos

Well, for starters, the browser locks up all the time...  It is not an isolated incident.  I received my Nook Tablet for Christmas, and it has been happening since the first week I received it.  Obviously the web browser needs a bit more coding/patching to make it work properly.  Just today, while trying to add the Barnes & Noble Nook Blog as a favorite, it locked up, did not move.  After that, when I try to go to another web site....it just sits there, nothing!  Yes, we know about the soft resets and that is what we end up doing, or more like I have to unregister and then reregister the device.  This really needs to be fixed.  Other than the web browser being quite non user friendly, I love everything else it has to offer. 

New User
pamb53
0 Kudos

Tried all of the suggestions, but folks here write like we all have inate ability to understand these precesses.

Especially to the person who writes about "enabling browser security"- I searched EVERY function and did not find that option.

As for the "I use a different browser" suggestion:smileytongue:Please don't casulally make it unless you include instructions to complete the task !!! How do you download a browser when whe you can't get to the Web?

I was trying to load Netflix, which froze.

Apps like  'Words With Friends" and the B&N shopping app works fine.

Navigation prompts ( like back arrow, etc.) are frozen as well!!

Most of you have obviously attended the same schools as the folks who created this contraption and who wrote the manual for it.

Simply.....take it back to the store and contact Consumer Reports!!!!