New User
Lisa_Gresham
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet - Wireless Connectivity issue - MAC filtering error message

There are 2 Nook Tablets in my house. Both connected with no issue to my home wireless notebook from day one. However, both suddenly stopped connecting at about the same time. I got an error message saying there was a MAC filtering issue.

I have checked my network (ATT-supplied Motorola NVG510), and validated that MAC filtering is turned off. I have to think there was a software push that caused this, because both stopped working at the same time.

How do I recover wireless connectivity?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet - Wireless Connectivity issue - MAC filtering error message

Have you tried rebooting your router?  You can also try connecting to free wifi hotspot and see if they connect.  Since there have been no other reports of this so far and both NTs stopped connecting at the same time, it could be an issue with your router.  Also try turning the NT completely off and on.

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

Lisa,

Strange that you post this today. I have WiFi at home I connect to with my NT and there is WiFi at my church that I connect to. Never had any problem until this morning at church I turned on my NT WiFi and got the MAC address filter error. It never did connect. After reading your message I check my NT with my home WiFi and it works just fine. My conclusion is that there is a router problem at church that a reboot might correct. I suspect yours is a router problem as well. Unplug the power to your router for a minute then plug it back in. Once it comes back up check connectivity again.

Jack

New User
Lori_Leigh_Riddles
0 Kudos

I have same issue. I turned off MAC filtering, rebooted the router, and the two Nook tablets in use at this moment. BOTH nooks are still having the same error, but the laptops and desktops computers are not. Mine is not a router problem, I am certain it is a Nook issue.

New User
Lisa_Gresham
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. I also don't think it was my router because I connected laptops with no issue. Oddly enough, the problem stopped, first on one nook, then several hours later on the other.
New User
CaptainJanina
0 Kudos

Yesterday my NT lost its connectivity and gave me the MAC filtering error. I rebooted the router and the Nook--all to no avail.  I then went through this tortuous process of downloading a purchase from my desktop to the Nook. One more bit of information--I lost the connectivity immediately after making a purchase through the Nook. PLEASE HELP!!!

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Does the NT have the option of "forgetting" a WiFi connection? "Forgetting" (deleting) your normal connection may allow it to reconnect (you'll have to re-enter the security passcode -- WEP/WPA).
Baron Wulfraed
New User
CaptainJanina
0 Kudos

Baron--thanks for commenting. It does have that option, but disconnecting and reconnecting with the router doesn't have an effect. Do NT technicians ever comment on this forum?

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CaptainJanina wrote:

Baron--thanks for commenting. It does have that option, but disconnecting and reconnecting with the router doesn't have an effect. Do NT technicians ever comment on this forum?

Don't just disconnect and reconnect.  "Forget" (delete) the connection and then create a new one.

New User
Stormrider39
0 Kudos

When I first purchased my NOOK Tablet, I had no problem connecting with my home WiFi connection. I even purchased a book. Now I get the error: Cannot connect to Access Point and when I click on the ! on my NOOK Tablet it says I have a MAC Filtering Issue with my WiFi Connection. Wi-Fi Error 101. I have a NETGEAR WPN311 Adapter and no manual on the thing. I have no idea how to add my NOOK MAC address to my wireless access point or router. I don't know how to check for or turn off MAC filtering on the wireless access point or router. I have not tried turning off/on the router yet. I also get a web page not available message that http://go.bn.com.qwj might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. What is the new address if it has moved. I am not computer technical savvy so I need help understanding all of this in lay terms. I did find my Nook's WiFi MAC address. I also do have the latest upgrade 1.4.3 for my NOOK Tablet.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Stormrider39 wrote:
When I first purchased my NOOK Tablet, I had no problem connecting with my home WiFi connection. I even purchased a book. Now I get the error: Cannot connect to Access Point and when I click on the ! on my NOOK Tablet it says I have a MAC Filtering Issue with my WiFi Connection. Wi-Fi Error 101. I have a NETGEAR WPN311 Adapter and no manual on the thing. I have no idea how to add my NOOK MAC address to my wireless access point or router. I don't know how to check for or turn off MAC filtering on the wireless access point or router. I have not tried turning off/on the router yet. I also get a web page not available message that http://go.bn.com.qwj might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. What is the new address if it has moved. I am not computer technical savvy so I need help understanding all of this in lay terms. I did find my Nook's WiFi MAC address. I also do have the latest upgrade 1.4.3 for my NOOK Tablet.

Most all routers and network adapters don't come with a manual -- unless it is on a CD disk that came with the device. Usually you have to search the web... Took about 2 minutes (opening new tab, entering search terms in Google...) Note that in some cases, any detailed information is found on the device itself (you connect to the admin pages, and there is a HELP button on the page that describes the settings that can be made).

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/WPN311_UM_04Feb07.pdf&sa=U&ei=it_...

I'm actually surprised that the Nook could identify a MAC filter block -- after all, a proper WiFi MAC filter should just be dropping requests from the Nook onto the floor.

Also... Looking at the WPN311 manual, this is a computer WiFi module that is primarily used to connect TO a WiFi access point/router... Except in the ad-hoc connection mode your Nook would not be connecting to this unit (and since ad-hoc won't work in DHCP mode, the Nook likely wouldn't connect at all).

Do you actually have a WiFi /router/? (Maybe all this time you'd been really connecting the Nook to a neighbor's unsecured WiFi connection and that connection is now secured or moved)

Did you mistype that B&N URL? ".qwj" is an unknown domain to me -- "/qwj" is a valid redirect to the B&N "book clubs/groups/etc." page.

Baron Wulfraed
New User
Stormrider39
0 Kudos

Actually the NETGEAR wireless router is WPN824 v2. I have been searching the internet and trying to find out how I can access the router so I can try turning off the MAC filtering or add my Nooks MAC address to the router. I even went to Netgear forums and am now waiting for help from them, too.

I connected to the Nook store through the nook link so there should not have been a URL typo error. The first time I set up the nook to access the wireless router at home, I had to type in a huge long WEP number so I know I am trying to connect to my home house wireless router.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Stormrider39 wrote:

Actually the NETGEAR wireless router is WPN824 v2. I have been searching the internet and trying to find out how I can access the router so I can try turning off the MAC filtering or add my Nooks MAC address to the router. I even went to Netgear forums and am now waiting for help from them, too.

I connected to the Nook store through the nook link so there should not have been a URL typo error. The first time I set up the nook to access the wireless router at home, I had to type in a huge long WEP number so I know I am trying to connect to my home house wireless router.

You can often connect to your router using your browser and entering the IP address of the router into the address window.  If you don't know the IP address, try 192.168.0.1.  Many routers default to this address, but not all of them. 

If you are using Windows 7, type "ipconfig" into the command line and see what the IP address of the "Default Gateway" is.  It will often be the address of the router. 

Just a thought. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For my router it's 192.168.1.1.

New User
Stormrider39
0 Kudos

yes I have Windows 7 and the default IP address is 192.168.1.1 -- I will try typing in ipconfig, too. I hope there are instructions on how to turn off or add the MAC filtering.  Thanks for all your suggestions so far.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

If you know the IP address of your router, access it with your browser.
New User
Stormrider39
0 Kudos

When I type in the IE browser, I only get links to information about 192.168.1.1. The instructions say to type ipconfig and then a username and password, but there isn't any place that asks for username or password.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

If you're doing it in the browser, then in typoing 192.168.1.1. you should be taken automatically to the wireless router page.

The first time I don't think it asks for any password.

What do you see when you ONLY do 1 thing

1) Open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar at the very top (where normall the website address of the address you are on is listed).

That's it.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

[ Edited ]

Stormrider39 wrote:

You may need to practice "GoogleFu" -- a simple search for "netgear wpn824" gave lots of candidate links, one of which leads to the manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WPN824V2/wpn824_ref_manual.pdf

Page 4-13 is the MAC filter instructions

{WRT a later comment}

Interner Explorer... Ptui!

If all you are typing is the IP number, I wouldn't be surprised if IE decides that is a network search term and not a connection address...

Try:

http://192.168.1.1/

(use whatever number your system reacts to -- my router is configured in the 192.168.2.x subnet, because my DSL "modem" is issuing 192.168.1.x DHCP connections to the router -- that is, my DSL is 192.168.1.1 router "internet" port on 192.168.1.2; my router talks to my computers on 192.168.2.101 to .110, and responds to the computers on 192.168.2.1).

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

[ Edited ]

Wulfraed wrote:

Stormrider39 wrote:

You may need to practice "GoogleFu" -- a simple search for "netgear wpn824" gave lots of candidate links, one of which leads to the manual

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WPN824V2/wpn824_ref_manual.pdf

Page 4-13 is the MAC filter instructions

{WRT a later comment}

Interner Explorer... Ptui!

If all you are typing is the IP number, I wouldn't be surprised if IE decides that is a network search term and not a connection address...

Try:

http://192.168.1.1/

(use whatever number your system reacts to -- my router is configured in the 192.168.2.x subnet, because my DSL "modem" is issuing 192.168.1.x DHCP connections to the router -- that is, my DSL is 192.168.1.1 router "internet" port on 192.168.1.2; my router talks to my computers on 192.168.2.101 to .110, and responds to the computers on 192.168.2.1).

Wulfraed is correct that what you need to enter in your IE address window is: http://192.168.1.1 if that is the correct IP address of your router.  In all probability, your login will be something like "admin," and your password might be blank (simply press the "Enter" key).  You should see screens that allow you to administer your router's settings. 

The "ipcponfig" function simply allows you to verify the IP address of your router.  If you already know it, then it is not necessary to use ipconfig.  If you do want to see your IP settings, you should use the "Command Prompt" that can be found at the "Start" button, then "All Programs," then "Accessories" and "Command Prompt."  To leave the command line, you can either close the window, or type "exit" at the command prompt and press "Enter." 

The Command Prompt allows you a number of capabilities that you might find interesting.  The "ping" command and the "tracert" command are especially useful.  Any time I believe that I have lost connection to the Internet, I simply type "ping yahoo.com" at the command line and if I receive a positive response, I know that the hardware is working.  You can also ping 192.168.1.1 to see if your router will respond to that IP address. You can also ping a cable or DSL modem if you know its IP address.  It certainly helps in troubleshooting when network problems arise.