Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Tablet dead one month after warranty expired

My nook tablet is dead, of course, one month after the warranty is up. B&N have troubleshot and said there's nothing more they can do. There was no offer for any resolution.... even for me to pay for repair. 

I just seem to now have an expense paperweight. I loved my nook, but not looking to replace it with another  one after this...:smileysad: Really disappointed in B&N, I get it that the warranty is expired, but no repair offer seems strange to me.

Anyone know of any places I can attempt to get it repaired in the Vancouver, BC?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet dead one month after warranty expired

Most all consumer electronics devices these days are "dispose of and replace". Consider -- you can't even change the batteries, and rechargeable batteries are only rated for 500-700 charge/discharge cycles. If you are a heavy user, that means the battery is done for in less than two years. And the battery is the easy part -- for the most part there are four components in something like a Nook: the shell, the battery, the LCD, and an SMT circuit board that doesn't really have any replacable chips.

While B&N may have had a factory that could refurbish a device /while it was still in production/, now that the model is out of production they probably don't even have spare parts for them.

Tablets, P&S cameras, cell-phones... All are "trash and replace" while under warranty. (In the case of cameras, you have to get into the upper end SLRs to get to where repairs are viable -- replacing the shutter mechanism in an SLR is a $200-300 job; and entry level SLRs start at $600 with a lens).

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

That's odd, I just had a woman in my store the other day with a NST that was out of warranty and the screen had 'shattered'.  Couldn't do much in the store, so I called store support, and they offered the following

40$ NST refurb

80$ Nook Color refurb

100$ Nook Color new

I'm not sure what would have been offered had the device been a NC or NT.  It may be worth giving customer service another shot, or PMing Alex about your options. 

I can't promise that the above would hold true, it's just my most recent experience with a Nook that is out of warranty.  Keeping in mind the NST is still being produced, the NT may have other options.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Re: $100 for a new NC - Whatta ripoff! I recently bought someone a brand spanking new NT 8G for $100 at a Walmart in the NY metropolitan area.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
bobstro
0 Kudos

What's wrong with it?

What exactly is wrong with your NT? If it's a software problem, it may be fixable if you're willing to spend a bit of effort.

Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos

Re: What's wrong with it?

[ Edited ]

It freezes on the startup "Read Forever" screen. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Did you try the reset method. Just search for 'hard reset'.

There are a few things to try:

1) Simple restart.

Power Off: Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power ON: Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

2) Restart.

Power Off:  Press and hold power button and the physical N button below the screen for 20 seconds.

3) Hard Reset - Please check how it works. This is what I think it was, but not sure.

Power Off: Press and hold power button and the physical N button below the screen for 20 seconds and keep holding it.

Let the device power back on and then keep holding it. It will restart again.

Did you root the Nook or something else? Whatever information you can provide on what you did before this problem happened, or what you loaded will help figure out a solution.

Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos

I've tried all of those things multiple times, still the same issue.

I did not root it or install anything on the nook other than books. It was working just fine, then powered off and powered up with this screen.

Wordsmith
PJLLB

Have you tried the 8-resets process?  It would reload the OS from a safe copy.

Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos

Yes, I have tried that as well....

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Another thing to try is to completely drain the battery so that the device turns off. See if that "clears" whatever is stuck. Wait a bit, recharge it, and see if it will restart. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That sounds like a classic bootloop. The good news is that your device can probably be recovered. 

Have you tried completely powering off (hold power down 20-30 seconds), then holding the 'n' key down as it reboots until you see the first text on screen, then releasing it? That should bring up the reset screen. This will wipe your system, so it will be just like you got it out of the box. You'll need to set it back up.

If this doesn't work, the bad news is that you may have to get more into techie stuff than you want. I'd suggest asking for help over at the XDA Forums. People there are usually more than willing to help with "unfixable" problems. Be sure to explain to them the symptoms and let them know your technical aptitude.

roustabout
0 Kudos

There is a flashable copy of the Nook Tablet OS floating around which can probably recover you if need be, but a less aggressive way to try to restore would be to try reinstall just the recovery boot portion, then trigger a recovery.

I am not sure if it matters wheither you hare using an 8 or a 16 gig nook tablet - be sure to read up on it and ask questions if needed;  some of the tools for recoverying an NT work only on one or the other (or did when I was last paying attention.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1458630

is the thread with the flashable stock recovery discussed.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos

Thanks, but tried that too...

Contributor
bwen
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll take a look at the forums. The reset with the N button didn't work either.... 

bobstro
0 Kudos

bwen wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a look at the forums. The reset with the N button didn't work either.... 

Did you get the menu with the option to reset it, or did you not get that either?

New User
jbpMB
0 Kudos

My nook is not turning on. I used the Ipod charger head to charge it because I do not have the nook head with me.  I tried holding the power and N button together but nothing is happening, I also plug it into the computer but when the light came on it is just showing red, like it is fully charged. What can I do, I am really worried.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

When my wife's NT shows the red light, it's dead. Green light means it's fully charged. Sounds like your battery is dead and needs to be charged.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What kamas said - Red means needs to be charged. Plug it into the wall charger and leave it overnight.

Frequent Contributor
Raven2099
0 Kudos

looks like yout nooknis a lemon... mine as well give it back take the loss and get a kindle.... or galaxy..

i hear they noth have longer battery life and google play....

make my nook suck less