Phantom7198
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet internet connection issues

How do you check if the software is 1.4.1

Reader 4
japeiffer
0 Kudos

Nook Internet Connection problems

Why are so many people having problems with their internet connection on their Nooks (myself included?)   and yet there is not a single technical response from B&N regarding this clearly widespread issue.

My Nook says it is connected to my wifi but when I try to buy or download, it fails stating there is no internet connection.   I don't want to lose my books because downloading from PC doesn't seem to work either.   So far have found on online support to help me figure out what's wrong with the thing, or even answers to simple  questions like how to reset, trouble with downloading, or even if I'll lose all my books if I do have to reset.  

Quite unimpressive.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Internet Connection problems

japeiffer wrote:

Why are so many people having problems with their internet connection on their Nooks (myself included?)   and yet there is not a single technical response from B&N regarding this clearly widespread issue.

My Nook says it is connected to my wifi but when I try to buy or download, it fails stating there is no internet connection.   I don't want to lose my books because downloading from PC doesn't seem to work either.   So far have found on online support to help me figure out what's wrong with the thing, or even answers to simple  questions like how to reset, trouble with downloading, or even if I'll lose all my books if I do have to reset.  

Quite unimpressive.

Off hand -- because the Nook to WiFi router is the only link B&N could attempt to trouble shoot...

Once the Nook reaches the WiFi hot-spot, it is up to the router, any DSL/Cable "modem", etc. to determine what to pass and what to block. Since there are so many potential combinations for such (Counting equipment in my basement that is not in use, I have two DSL adapters by two manufactures, along with two generations of WiFi routers) B&N can't reasonably be expected to diagnose the full chain.

You say the Nook says it is connected... To your WiFi or some unsecured neighbor? (there are some found around the area by newbies that didn't set up WEP/WPA on the router)... Another possibility (since my current router supports it) is that it may be an "open" (not WEP/WPA) access point that requires one to enter a password via a web browser before it allows traffic to pass (this "guest" SSID on mine -- yes, it is a different SSID from the WEP 2.4GHz G which is different from the WPA 5GHz N ports -- is always blocked from the local network and will only pass to the "internet" when the user has successfully logged in with the password).

Do the admin pages of your router show the Nook as an active connection. Does your router have diagnostics like: Ping (use the DHCP IP number that should be shown as clients) while the Nook is awake and "connected" (at least, for my 1st edition, Ping responds -- for all I know B&N disabled ping response on newer models).

Baron Wulfraed
New User
LouisG
0 Kudos

This is total nonsense. I have an iPad and it NEVER drops a connection. I have an android mobile phone (Samsung) and it never drops either. I also have a laptop ( Acer) and It never drops.  All different devices from different makers who have built systems that don't drop connections.   Oh yeah, I have an Xbox 360 and it doesn't drop either. 

Reader 4
japeiffer
0 Kudos

I have WEP set up on my wireless router and the three laptops that we use throughout the house have no connectivity issues at all. The Nook worked when I first purchased it but now will not download new purchases without failing. Nothing has changed in any of the other devices prior to or since the Nook came into the picture.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

japeiffer wrote:
I have WEP set up on my wireless router and the three laptops that we use throughout the house have no connectivity issues at all. The Nook worked when I first purchased it but now will not download new purchases without failing. Nothing has changed in any of the other devices prior to or since the Nook came into the picture.

Isn't WEP consider to be relatively weak security?  Have you thought about using WPA?

New User
Skysharker1
0 Kudos

Hello! I have 2 Nook Tablets purchased in Dec 2011 and have had no issues with them until about 2 days ago.  They show active internet connections, I can surf the internet, read my email, I just bought three free books and they downloaded without issue....the problem is when I click on the "MORE" tab at the upper right of the screen, I get this message --> "Please make sure you have network connectivity", Also, when I open Netflix, I get this message--> "Netflix is trying to connect to the available network".

Like I said, for two years I've had no issues with either of the tablets. I attemptous numerous remedies, to include restarting the Tablet, Dregistering and Reregistering, Restarting the router, forgetting my wifi connection and reconnecting....whew!! All my other equipments are working just fine, 3 laptops, PS3, Xbox, and my Samsung Galaxy S3 have no connection issues...just the table

Oh yeah....I am running Version 1.4.3