New User
self6241

Nook Tablet internet connection issues

I just got my nook today. It connects fine at home. At work I took my mobile wifi and it will not connect there for some reason. Ay ideas. Thanks. So far love it..

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet internet connection issues

Hi self6241,

Congratulations and thanks for the post!

Would you be able to provide more info regarding that failed connection?

Thanks!

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Contributor
Tim_J
0 Kudos

See my post of a few minutes ago under NC technical wi-fi

New User
hhdesai

I am tech savvy and have similar problems - connected to internet through wifi and worked well for about a day or so and then stopped working even though the internet connection showed connected. I also tried an ipad and pc side by side to ascertain that it was not a router or a cable modem problem.

After the first above problem I decided to reset the device and try again and that worked agian for about a day or so and then stopped - the symptom was it would not refresh or change the web page I was on...

I took it to the BN store and they dont know either...

I bought it for both book reading and internet browsing and I really like the touchscreen interface and a lot of the features of Nook Tablet but, this internet problem has made me decide to return the device...too bad!

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

hhdesai,

Have you updated your NT already? If not, please do and then give it a try.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
New User
ghoudeshell
0 Kudos

I recently bought a Nook Tablet for my daughter for Christmas. I can get the NT to connect to our internet wifi without any problems. Its the keeping the connection that is the problem with it. I can be sitting like 6 feet away from our wireless router and it will lose connection over and over. I dont think that its our router or anything like that because both of our computers run off the same wifi and they dont have any issues.

Is this possibly a problem with just this particular NT and maybe I need to take it back and swap it out? Or is this an issue that come standard with these things? Its really frustrating seeing it reconnecting every minute or so, especially when I am searching for things to purchase or trying to surf the net.

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

To the OP, I would try and see if it connects up at B&N or another source you know should work. If you do it at B&N where you purchased your NT you have the support staff there to help you troubleshoot or provide you a working unit.

New User
kaa_acklie
0 Kudos

I'm having the same issue! Its been a day and I cannot fix it and since it was a gift I'm past the date of return! I hope they address this problem because I am getting frustrated!

New User
jag527
0 Kudos

I am having the same exact issue...it will freeze on a page and shows that I'm clicking a button (search, login, etc.) but does not move...or when I search on google the green bar at the stop shows as loading but never finishes...I can move to bookmarks but cannot navigate the pages??  I got this for Christmas and forced it to shut down twice already - that can't be good for the device and isn't really a fix?

Inspired Contributor
CriticalReception
0 Kudos

I would check to see if your device is on the latest software which is 1.4.1, especially if you are having wifi stability issues.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

@kaakli, Shutting down on an occasional basis is recommended for android devices, as many apps do not close when you go to another app. Shutting down frees user memory by closing running apps, including browser pages. You also want to clear the browser cache occasionally by going to the button above - to the right of the star button, clicking on more options, then clicking on settings.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Correspondent
SamSpade88

@jag527:  I know exactly what you are going through! It is a real PITA for sure!  A new User of the NT is never prepared for this until it happens and then you think the worse case scenerio that your network has failed (for whatever reason) or the NT has failed also (for whatever reason). Even with the new update 1.4.1. it continues to manifest this malady. I have posted this elsewhere but while it isn't the ideal setting it does work:  Change the web Options to Tablet Mode (turning off Desktop Mode). You will see the page load all the way.  If one was to ask me why that works I would say there is way too much scripting/javascript loading in Desktop Mode and the NT just can't handle it.  And this setting works the best for my NT. I've tried other suggestions like turning the NT off all the way (not Sleep Mode) and clearing the Cache and deleting the Cookies and History but nothing works as complete and permanent as by changing to Tablet Mode.

Contributor
reubensitos

This is a problem on my NT as well. The only way to deal with it is to do what Sam says above. Just clear your cache, history, turn off desktop mode and restart. (although it happens in both modes for me).  

Now that we have the free Puffin browser, I find myself surfing boards and other sites with it to avoid having to go through that drama just to surf the net. The lack of Flash hurts it for sure, but I have faith they will update it as they stated and then I will use Puffin 100% of the time. 

New User
Lamini
0 Kudos

just took home a Nook Tablet yesterday. First thing i noticed was... why does it constantly disconnect, and require me to suddenly reconnect, even though I was JUST connected.  Coming from a home w/ a couple Droids, IPAD2, and several Windows 7 computers, and a new Nook Tablet.

Just plain old internet experience is not so great. If its on the built in apps and content not so bad, but on the internet... geeez

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

Knock on wood!  I've been using the web tablet mode now for a month or so and I couldn't be happier!  All my pages load up just fine. The only site that looks different than the desktop mode is MSNBC but all the pages load super fast and no issues with videos or links. This confirms my earlier posting.  I did enable java and it still works just fine so it has to be something in the desktop mode that the NT is not optimized.

And my internet connection is just perfect each and every time.  I have not had to 'reboot' or do anything wierd with the network connection to my wifi. I shut down my cable modem internet connection daily but leave my router on all the time.

New User
koraknits
0 Kudos

I bought a NT today and can't set it up because I keep losing the internet connection.  My other wireless devices are connected fine and I'm sitting only 10 feet from my router.

I read one post about turning of tablet mode, but I can't get on the device to change any settings.  Do I just need to return it?

Wordsmith
PJLLB

[ Edited ]

I had problems when my router was automatically selecting a specific WiFi channel (it happened to be 6) that was also being used by two other neighbors.  When the router finally figured out that it was bouncing up against other WiFi networks, it began selecting channel 11, which was not being used by anyone.  Since then I have had no problems with the NT WiFi connections.  Apparently it cannot handle mutiple available WiFi networks on the same channel very well.

New User
koraknits
0 Kudos

Well, I took the NT to a B&N store.  Of course it connected there.  They swapped out the device and registered it there.  I brought it home and... no internet connection.  It's connected to my network, but it tells me there is no access to the internet.  Now what?  I tried another poster's suggestion about switching between desktop and tablet mode, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

BN_AlexG
0 Kudos

Hi koraknits,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with keeping a connection. By chance, do you know what bandwith your home connection is running?

- Alex

Wordsmith
PJLLB

koraknits wrote:

Well, I took the NT to a B&N store.  Of course it connected there.  They swapped out the device and registered it there.  I brought it home and... no internet connection.  It's connected to my network, but it tells me there is no access to the internet.  Now what?  I tried another poster's suggestion about switching between desktop and tablet mode, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Have you tired the suggestion I made?  It's in the post just above this one from you.