New User
Jasmin25

Re: Nook Tablet power on problems

Oh wow. I had a similar issue right out the box, 30 minutes ago! I played with it for 5 min and it froze while I was on the web. I tried to turn it off, and it didn't seem to work at first. When it did go off, it wouldnt come back on. The 20 second hold worked. I called tech support before I tried it and she merely asked if I let it charge completely before turning it on the first time. Then she suggested I just let if charge for 4 hours. I asked if this was normal and she said "Well, I wouldn't say that it's normal". I asked what the device being charge to 50% had to do with it... freezing and not turning back on even though the battery wasn't dead. She couldn't seem to give me an answer.

I did the 20 second hold, got it back on, and then turned it back off so it can sit and charge for 4 hours as tech support recommended. If it *really* is that important to device functionality, they should send it completely uncharged with a huge red sticker on the front stating not to turn it on. But what do I know.

I do know that if this happens again, I'll be requesting a refund. There were a number of reasons I chose the Nook Tablet over the Fire. One of those reasons being that I expected it to be less buggy as it's not a gen 1 device. *sigh* I really don't want to be stuck with a $30 skin and no Nook to stick it on. Or worse... trying to make it fit the Fire.

New User
slevah

Removing the SD card kinda defeats one of the features/reasons I purchased this product.

I am on my SECOND Nook Tablet... it is now having the same problem... :smileysad:   I didn't buy the Kindle because of it's lack of expandable memory!

Sigh..

New User
Nook_flow

WoW, was on vacation and the second day the nook stopped working.

Today went on line and found this solution of pushing down Power button and "n" button

for 20 seconds or so and it was like magic..Saved my 'down time' options during

my precious time off.  Thank You sooo much!

New User
Hawksana
0 Kudos

Try removing and reinserting the Micro SD Card. 

Here's what's been happening to me:

I'm a new 16G Nook Tablet owner (purchased on 3/9/12) and I have had trouble on occasion getting it to power up.  Until this morning, holding down the Power button for a long, long time has worked, but this morning it did not.

So I tried a few other things.  I tried pushing Home and Power at the same time -- that did not work. So then, I removed the Nook from it's case, and ejected the 4G SanDisk MicroSD card that was in the card reader; reinserted it; put the Nook back into it's case and tried to power up again.  This time it powered up instantly.

I'm not sure,  but I think the 79 apps I have installed on it may occasionally create a system conflict of some sort.

Also I've been fighting to get hooked into stuff like Facebook and Twitter and had all sorts of password issues. The apps don't talk to each other. Dolphin browser knows how to log me in to Facebook and Twitter, but Pulse, Seesmid, PepperPlate, . . .  still don't.  So as I'm trying to  get all my apps set upI keep using the forgot password -- email reset thing which opens Email, Dolphin Browser, and the apps I'm tying to authorize for FB all at the same time. And doesn't give me a good way to be sure they get shut down.

I'm sure I've created a mess by the number of time I load and cancel and switch -- so I haven't been really concerned about system glitches -- I figure it'll setlle down once I get it optimized.

I also find that when I use it in the evening on the charger it gets a little warm in the lower left corner. Not ridiculously warm, but warm.

Anyway I love this thing! -- Just absolutely love it -- so hopefully once I get it all set up it'll settle down -- or they'll figure out what the software conflicts are and get it sorted for us.

New User
hondiver
0 Kudos

This worked for me to when my nook died for the second time, I agree why doesnt support know this?

Reader
DCrampton

This happened to my NT shortly after purchasing it in January, but did not crop up again until this morning.  It happens whether or not I have the microSD card in, whether or not I have it connected to the power adapter or to my computer (always with the NT cord).  So far, I'm really digging the size and hardware, and would hate to have to go out searching for a nice, inexpensive tablet with a visually pleasing and responsive touch screen.

But, if this is an issue that B&N hasn't fixed, and I'm just as likely to have the issue after swapping it out for a new one, I may not have a choice.  Any word on if this has been addressed in a more permanent manner?

Contributor
avenie

Happened to me too. The thing just shut itself off and wouldn't come back on. I freaked.

I called customer support (on Easter) and they told me to hold down the power button for thirty seconds. I did and nothing happened. He then said hold it for ANOTHER thirty seconds. Before I completed that thirty it came back on.

No reason for it.

Contributor
Cycosfireball

Same here.... had it for 3 days, worked great, I love my Nook Tablet. Then the internet started freezing on the same page for hours, before somehow unfreezing itself, and just this morning ( day 3 ) . I unplugged it from it's charger, to read a book and it would not power on... tried the power and n button. tried 5 secs, 10 secs.. 20 secs... I was freaking a little, at 200 bucks, it's a cheap tablet BUT 200 Bucks is still alot of money to most of us and I do hope B&N does something about this, or I'm buying a Kindle. With this many people having the same issue, it's obviously a hardware problem. I purchased mine at Staples, btw and was very dissapointed in the total lack of knowledge from their staff. I looked at both the color and the tablet and was told, that color does not support netflix etc... I bought the tablet, only to have these issues, now. Not good... not good at all. Even if it does come back on, after holding power for 20 seconds... I should not have to sit here and press the button for ages, nor should I have to remove my SD card, just to make it work correctly. That defeats the purpose of being able to expand storage.

Wordsmith
PJLLB

[ Edited ]

Cycosfireball wrote:

Same here.... had it for 3 days, worked great, I love my Nook Tablet. Then the internet started freezing on the same page for hours, before somehow unfreezing itself, and just this morning ( day 3 ) . I unplugged it from it's charger, to read a book and it would not power on... tried the power and n button. tried 5 secs, 10 secs.. 20 secs... I was freaking a little, at 200 bucks, it's a cheap tablet BUT 200 Bucks is still alot of money to most of us and I do hope B&N does something about this, or I'm buying a Kindle. With this many people having the same issue, it's obviously a hardware problem. I purchased mine at Staples, btw and was very dissapointed in the total lack of knowledge from their staff. I looked at both the color and the tablet and was told, that color does not support netflix etc... I bought the tablet, only to have these issues, now. Not good... not good at all. Even if it does come back on, after holding power for 20 seconds... I should not have to sit here and press the button for ages, nor should I have to remove my SD card, just to make it work correctly. That defeats the purpose of being able to expand storage.

What browser are you using?  Dolphin Browser HD (available in the Nook Store at no cost) works MUCH better than the stock browser.  I used to get lockups with the stock browser, but never do with Dolphin.

New User
esl22
0 Kudos

Buying a nook has been a disaster.  My first one had power problems.  I live near a B&N so went in every time it happened and it would come back on.  But finally talked them into exchanging that Nook for another since I was going on a 3 week vacation.  This one has power problems too.  Sometimes it comes back on in 15-20 minutes and others times it will take hours.  I just tried the 20 second holding  power button and N book and it just worked.  So, I'll see what happens the next time.  There is no reason for this to ne happening so often and especially with two separate units.

New User
RobertWC
0 Kudos

My daughters still does this from time to time after 2 months. Not a power problem as it happens when charged fully also, not an SD card issue either as it happens with or without a  card. One thing i know for sure is that it is poor customer service for BN if they wont even admit to a problem that is quite apparent. They have an inferior product. My other daughter has a kindle and NEVER has this issue with it. So very easy to see why BN is failing financially, poor customer service and poor products. 

New User
england9904
0 Kudos

Thank you for your advice.  The B&N Nook Online Customer Support person could not help and told me to take mine back to the store for help.  I knew there had to be a fix somewhere out there, You just can't find it on their website.

New User
alex-44
0 Kudos

Thanks for the solution
New User
jgh57
0 Kudos

I just got my 2nd Nook Tablet yesterday.  I bought my first on July 4th. We were on vacation and I was trying to look at Google Map when the Tablet froze and then went dead. It was fully charged at the time. Nothing I tried worked. I took it back to B&N and they were unable to get it to come on. So they gave me anotherone. Hopefully I will have better luck with this one.

New User
des13CA
0 Kudos

I just got off the phone with Bernard in customer service.  I did all he asked, and prior to that I was on line with someone who also tried to help me. 

My tablet will not power on, and I did every thing they asked.

I want to say what a great experience it was with both customer service people.  Because of the problem I am haveing it replaced.  I will say I bought mine in December of 2011 and did not have any problems till today.

Thank you B&N for great service.:smileyhappy:

Reader
TodoMojoJojo
0 Kudos

I used to work for BN- and while I don't anymore, you sound like the worst customer in the world.  I would've paid you jus to leave.

suzbluz wrote:

I had the very same problem this morning.  This is my second nook tablet and I was really steamed.  Went back to BN with all my paperwork.  Spoke with the manager and he couldn’t get it to turn on either.  I told him I really just wanted my money back, he said fine, but they didn’t have the cash to cash me out.  Great!  I paid cash for it, so I really don’t have any recourse.  I don’t want a store credit – paid cash/want cash back.

I was told to come back later (this is 12/31/11-probably not many folks spending New Year’s Eve at the local BN Store).  I decided to try and “waste” time until they had cash.  Well the manager said he would honor the return next week.  Perfect!

I have made 4 trips this is my 5th to BN because of this thing and I am thinking they got a bad batch.  1st trip just looked at it and played with it, 2nd actually bought the Tablet, 3rd trip they replaced the charger, 4th trip they replaced the unit…now…they need to return my money because I have had it with this.  I have lived here more than 20 years and I had only been in that store a couple of times up until I just had to have this stupid thing. 

After killing about an hour I called BN Store and asked if they had the cash?  It is a little creepy calling and asking that – but NO…sorry not enough idiots like me thrashing about trying to resolve a NT problem on New Year’s Eve.  Long story short I gave it just one last go and I will be darned if the stupid thing didn’t turn on.  Then it had the nerve to tell ME not to turn it off because it was updating.

I flew into the parking lot at BN holding it above my head like a cop with a badge and here is the explanation I got:  “It didn’t turn on because it was trying to update.”  Will someone please tell me on what planet that explanation even makes sense because I don’t get how it could be dead but updating.  Also was told before this happened it had to be plugged into your computer in order to update. 

Sorry to be so long winded, but there is something causing this and even with my limited expertise I can see glitch written all over it.

Reader
DCrampton
0 Kudos

Since the problem kept happening, I took it in to my local store today.  They swapped it out for a new one, as expected.  I asked their Nook expert what I should do if it comes up again, and as he professed no knowledge of this kind of problem, to address that if it came up.

If it happens again, I'll post again, and probably ask the store for my money back, politely and firmly.

Reader
DCrampton
0 Kudos

It should also be noted that I wasn't given a new Nook, I was given a "Certified Pre-Owned Nook."  So said the giant sticker that sealed the box shut.

Reader 4
weisslc
0 Kudos

Got my first Nook Tablet for Christmas 2011.  It was having a problem keeping the battery charged so I returned it to the B&N store in March and they gave me a certified refurbished device.  Now this device is having the same power on issue as the others on this thread.  Holding the "n" and power keys has not powered on the device.  Removing the SD card does resolve the issue.  I purchased the card at the B&N store so I know it is a compatible card.   Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the card if you cannot power on the device with it in the slot.  and yes, I have removed and reinserted the sd card several times which has not resolved the issue.  Personally, when someone asks me if I would recommend buying a Nook Tablet my answer is "no, it is not worth the money".  buy an e-Reader just to read books and use your computer for apps and browsing the network. 

New User
pinders
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness! That worked. My screen was black and would not turn on. I thought my nook was a goner. However you figured this out, thanks!!