New User
redconductor
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet power on problems

I am now on my FOURTH tablet since the beginning of the year.  Always the same problem, unit will not power up.  Tried all the suggestions from customer support and the result is the same, return the unit for a new unit.  Heaven help when the warranty runs out.  Seems to be an inherent problem with the hardware that needs to be resolved by Barnes & Noble.  I am not a happy customer!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Have you tried holding the power button for 20-30 seconds when it's "off", then release and hold again for 20-30 seconds until (hopefully) you see screen activity? What you're describing sounds a lot like the "sleep of death" problem which freezes the unit at a black screen so it appears to be off, when in fact, it's still running. If your next unit locks up like this, and you're sure it's charged, try taking it into a darkened room to see if there's a faint glow, or if you notice a slight flicker when you hold that power button down for an extended period.

New User
Mitzigirl24

I'm so glad to have found this Support forum.  It's been such a big help - my first problem was that the Nook was freezing when I'd try to go to different websites.  I brought it back to the store - or course, it worked perfectly there.  They told me it must be my WiFi. After doing some research, I found this board and saw the suggestion abt using either the Dolphin Browser or the Puffin Browser.  I tried that, and its worked fine ever since.  Today at lunch I wanted to read a book I had taken out of the Library - when I tried to turn the Nook on, it wouldn't do anything - the screen was completely black.  I tried pushing the 'n' button and the power button - nothing happened.  I had just charged the battery a few days ago, so I didn't think that was the problem.  Anyhow, when I got back from lunch, I checked this forum, and, sure enough there was a solution.  I pressed the power and 'n' button at the same time for abt 20 seconds, and it came on.  The only reason I bought the Nook instead of a Kindle Fire was because I had several B&N gift cards from Christmas & my birthday - otherwise, I would have gone with the Kindle.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

New User
tara198824
0 Kudos

i just replaced my charger cord a week ago and then this happened. ur solution really helped thanks!

New User
kelimarka4
0 Kudos

I've only had my Nook for two months and I am having the same power problems.  Just got off the phone w/ customer service, they are replacing my Nook w/ a refurbished one.  Not happy but maybe they have corrected the hardware problems and I won't have to deal with the problem again, like many have on this thread...I love my Nook but will switch to something else if this does not fix the problem.  Good luck Nook users, that's all I can say  :smileyhappy:

New User
pkk2011

Thank you to everyone who wrote in, my tab is now working. I received it as a Xmas gift in 2011 and it just froze now in 10/12 I have been lucky I guess.
Reader
mjazz
0 Kudos

Thanks!  Your method worked.

New User
slandrum
0 Kudos

Thanks so much, this made my tablet finally come on!!!
New User
Tigerlibrarian

Thank you BN Community! I've had my nook since last September and it has worked fine until a couple of days ago. I was debating going back to Barnes and Noble to ask them--then thought to check here. Holding down the power button for 20 seconds worked like a charm...and when it came up it gave a message saying it was downloading an update and not to turn it off. After about a minute all was well. I've had an update and it's working fine.

:womanvery-happy:

New User
sexy1123
0 Kudos

I bought my nook last month 10/23/12 and Im on my thrid one already first one froze and wouldnt charge the second refuse to turn on now Im waiting for a replacement BN nows theres problems with this tablet they should recall them or fix the problem Im about tired and would just like to have my money back.. I bought a new product I dont feel I should have to settle for a pre owned one that still has the same problems.

New User
Cokoluv

This soooooo worked, this just happened to my tablet and this worked perfectly within 2-3 mins! GREAT ADVICE!!!
New User
FaithSL
0 Kudos

I have told them I have went through six nooks. The last one the company sent me a new one in August of this year. Gusse what it is still doing it. So for Christmas this year I went and brought a kindle fire my husband has had his a year and has had no problems. I gave my nook to my son he is going to play with it untill it dies. I think if we are going to pay this kind of money then BN needs to fix the problem.

New User
triceAM
0 Kudos

Hi im writing on behalf of my niece who recieved her first Nook from the big guy on christmas day..I started downloading my games first and my movies and books and my dora.  This morning i turned it on to watch a movie i fell asleep and when i woke up and it wouldnt tun on ..i told my mommy who brought it to my aunt linda who is writting to you...

I tryed to turn it on my holding the button for a while with no response. I suggested that she let it completly die the let it completly charge hold on button while still plugged in ...will let you know results.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

If it refuses to turn on, it usully means the battery level is too low. Plug it in to charge. Once the charge has reached a sufficient level, the nook will power on.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What laurieb52 wrote should work.

Charge it for at least a few hours and then try to start it.

In the rare case that does not work.

First try This

Power Off: Press and hold power button for 20 seconds.

Power On: Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

That should fix it.

If that doesn't work either try this:

Power Off/Reset: Press and hold both the power button and the n button (the physical n just below the bottom edge of the screen) for 20 seconds.

Power On: Wait and if it doesn't start on its own - Press and hold power button for 4 seconds.

New User
jkel
0 Kudos

Removing the SD card worked for me. 

My black screen was a little different from the ones described here.  I could get as far as the date/time menu, but the background was black and I couldn't get the green arrow to slide when I touched it.  Once I took out the SD card, it powered right up - with me only needing to press the N. 

This is the first time I had this problem in almost one year of use. 

Reader 4
scottsgirl1982
0 Kudos

you are awesome! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

New User
MountianMan
0 Kudos

Having purchased a Nook tablet and having to deal with B&N technical/customer service, I now have a much better understanding why this company is in trouble.

My Nook tablet had the powering up problem from the get go that others are speaking about here and the person  in the technical department on the other end of the phone told me there was nothing he could do until I registered a credit card with B&N. He continued to repeat the same sentence each time in response to my question as to how this was going to help my Nook perform adequately. My frustration cause me to terminate the conversation.

For several months, my Nook Tablet would not come on without me having to push and hold that stupid button 30 or 40 times when finally I remembered what was said to me as to what the definition of insanity is and that is when one continues to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results. I made another call to the technical support of Barns and Nobel and OMG what FU*****nightmare! After three hours of constantly being placed on hold, having to hang up and get back in line for another representative, they have decided to exchange mine with someone else defective tablet that they said "is fixed". I purchased new, I want new. "Sorry Sir, that's all we can do for you" 

I'm really afraid, I'm going to have to eat the cost and go purchase a Kindle Fire.

And there is NO ONE within their system that will hear your complaint.  "Sorry Sir, that is all we can do for you"

New User
rmckin

Re: Nook Tablet power on problems red !

I've tried

power 4-6 times

power with n 10-20 times

usb to computer

SD card in and out

All give the picture of little nook and red !

Nothing works

Does anyone have a fix?

Nook support says they sent a update but since it doen't boot nothing working.

New User
KellyNelly
0 Kudos

This worked for me, thank you!