New User
bicyclistGA
Accepted Solution

Nook Tablet power on problems

More often than not, my Nook Tablet won't power up when I push the power button. Even when I push and hold it for 5 seconds it doesn't come on until I have pushed it repeatedly over a 5 to 10 minute period. This is especially frustrating (and embarrassing) when my friend is standing right next to me using her Kindle Fire.

Reader 2
brennard

Re: Nook Tablet power on problems

I am having the same problem with my tablet (purchased 12/4). About a week ago it turned itself off and wouldn't come back on for an hour -- even when plugged in. Since then, I have to press and hold the power button at least 10 times before it starts.

Called support for the second time today and the customer rep told me to return it to the store for a new one.

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

Here is the way mine works:  If it is in sleep mode a quick press of the power button or the 'n' button should make it come alive immediately. I have mine set with security so a popup window comes up as soon as I press the button asking me for the passwork. If you are starting up from non-sleep mode (completely off)  it will take a bit more time for it to load but you should see activity within 30 seconds. If not, you may want to do a hard reset though it will reset to factory specs. If that doesn't do it right then back to the store it goes!

Frequent Contributor
COBHC

simply press and hold the power and the home key"n" at the same time for around 20 seconds if it doesnot work try to plug your nook to your computer using the usb cord

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others
New User
Alianna15
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for your solution it helped so much! :smileyhappy:

New User
ddeditor
0 Kudos

12/31/2011

This worked -- can someone tell me WHY BN tach support doesn't know this??????

They told me to return it!

Thanks much and Happy New Year

Reader
suzbluz

I had the very same problem this morning.  This is my second nook tablet and I was really steamed.  Went back to BN with all my paperwork.  Spoke with the manager and he couldn’t get it to turn on either.  I told him I really just wanted my money back, he said fine, but they didn’t have the cash to cash me out.  Great!  I paid cash for it, so I really don’t have any recourse.  I don’t want a store credit – paid cash/want cash back.

I was told to come back later (this is 12/31/11-probably not many folks spending New Year’s Eve at the local BN Store).  I decided to try and “waste” time until they had cash.  Well the manager said he would honor the return next week.  Perfect!

I have made 4 trips this is my 5th to BN because of this thing and I am thinking they got a bad batch.  1st trip just looked at it and played with it, 2nd actually bought the Tablet, 3rd trip they replaced the charger, 4th trip they replaced the unit…now…they need to return my money because I have had it with this.  I have lived here more than 20 years and I had only been in that store a couple of times up until I just had to have this stupid thing. 

After killing about an hour I called BN Store and asked if they had the cash?  It is a little creepy calling and asking that – but NO…sorry not enough idiots like me thrashing about trying to resolve a NT problem on New Year’s Eve.  Long story short I gave it just one last go and I will be darned if the stupid thing didn’t turn on.  Then it had the nerve to tell ME not to turn it off because it was updating.

I flew into the parking lot at BN holding it above my head like a cop with a badge and here is the explanation I got:  “It didn’t turn on because it was trying to update.”  Will someone please tell me on what planet that explanation even makes sense because I don’t get how it could be dead but updating.  Also was told before this happened it had to be plugged into your computer in order to update. 

Sorry to be so long winded, but there is something causing this and even with my limited expertise I can see glitch written all over it.

New User
TangerineSky
0 Kudos

Thanks.  This tip helped me.  I just bought it a few days ago and was afraid that I would have to return it to the store which would have probably been closed today -- Jan. 1.  I would have had a very upset 11 year old who is addicted to Angry Birds.  He and I are also both reading novels on it. 

New User
Demi18
0 Kudos

Thank you very much this helped a lot. This is my second Nook Tablet and I was VERY disappointed when it happened again. I was going to take it back tomorrow but I found this support group first. Holding down the power and "n" button at the same time for 20 secs, really helped. Thanks again!!!!!:smileylol:

New User
sb7693
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem.  And all I have to say is as much as I love my tablet, this will be the last BN product I buy.  It appears to be a known problem that is continually occuring.  I shouldn't have to do anything special to turn it on, I should be able to press the power button and have it turn on immediately, all the time.  It really makes me mad.  

Correspondent
cinderxhella

suzbluz do you have a micro SD card in the Nook? That has been causing weird problems in our store! I have no idea why but taking the SD card out usually fixes the problem.

New User
robertkrusen
0 Kudos

I too have already returned a Nook Tablet because the screen goes blank.  The second one has done the same.  I know now to hold the power button and the n button to restore power after @ 5 minutes HOWEVER this SHOULD NOT happen at all.  I hope B&N has become aware of this problem with this system and is working on a resolution. 

New User
punky48
0 Kudos

Thank you so very much!  I am not sure why this is so hard to turn on.  I haven't had problems before today. I showed my Nook Tablet to a patient and it came on fine.  Then at lunch I wanted to read my Nook.  Could not get it started for anything. I thought maybe the battery had gone dead.  But not, I remembered that it was a full charge earlier this morning...So frustrating.  But thank you so much for your help! I so appreciate it!

New User
punky48

Here's a great hint.  I find the B&N Tablet Support rather useless.  Either you try to write on their virtual rep., only to be told they are off line right now.  Or you wait forever on the line for a "real live" person.   I just call the local B&N Store. I have found their sales people are excellent in the jobs they do with the Nook.  They have been just wonderful and knowledgeable.  Much better than doing it on line or waiting on the phone.   Hope this helps!

New User
Hangman131DL
0 Kudos

Pressing the power button and 'n' worked for me.  I really wasn't looking forward to returning it to the store. 

Anyways it seems to me this is more of a software problem than a hardware problem being that it seems like such a widespread issue.  It doesnt seem to matter if a nook is bought at B & N, Best Buy or any other store all seem to be having the same issue and that screems software to me.  Hopefully in the next few updates it will be fixed but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I hope its not a hardware issue though because that would be one hell of a recall and it would be awhile before they could get repairs/new units into our hands.  I'm just remebering the debacle that was the red ring of death with the release of the xbox 360.  I do not want to have to send in my Nook for 2 weeks to a month to get a repair done that should have been fixed before release.

Anyways thanks again for the tip about the 20 second button hold down.  Tried it before but only held for 10 seconds as that is the standard amongst most electronics.

New User
pegboy247
0 Kudos

Is this an active string? I noticed recent posts...

So my two day old nook is doing the same thing. Pwr+n unsuccessful. Charge attempt unsuccessful. Connection to PC unsuccessful. Removing Micro SD....bing bang boom and I'm back in business.

Obviously not too thrilled at my new found memory restrictions, especially when buying a "tablet". Does anyone have any information on this specific issue or know of a URL with technical documentation?

It was a nice valentine's gift from the wife, and I loved it until ten minutes ago. 400 bucks is what I spent on her 16Gb Toshiba Thrive (10.1" screen, true tablet, nook app installed). If this is something I can expect, and given all of the posts regarding B&N tech support, I think I may just swap mine out for the 150 extra bucks.

Basically, I guess I am looking for a reason not to approach my wife with the prospect of returning the gift she gave me...anyone have any good reasons?!? Thanks.

Contributor
TinaLTX
0 Kudos

Do you need to maybe check that you are using the right class and version of the micro sd card? Perhaps it is a particular one giving trouble?  I haven't had any problems fortunately, but they can happen at any time I suppose.

Frequent Contributor
byter67

The Nook Tablet For Dummies book recommends the following card type:

microSDHC card

16 GB or 32 GB

Class 6 speed

Made by Kingston, Lexar, Sandisk, or Transcend

HTH those having card issues

Contributor
greenlevel
0 Kudos

Had the same shut down problem and didn't know what to do so I returned my nook tablet.  Mine also felt hot  around the bottom half.  Does anyone know what would have caused a shut off coupled with apparent overheating?  I guess the overheating caused the shut off,  but I am wondering what would cause the overheating.  I did have a micro SD card in it .  It was a  32 gb Transcend card.  I had planned to just leave it in, should you only put the card in when you plan to use it?  I am waiting for a replacement and hope to have better luck with it. Only had it two days when this happened.

Thanks

New User
RobertWC

I had the same situation with a new Tablet. I had a problem turning on the new tablet. I followed all the instructions provided. I checked this forum(run by B&N) and found that i was not the only person experiencing this. I knew that this is not how it is intended to work, so I did a MASTER CLEAR and i packaged it up and returned to the store. The first customer service clerk asked me if i even unpacked it(because i packaged it the way i got it). I laughed and responded to the ignorrant question. Then she pressed the power button and it turned on(probably becasue i did a MASTER CLEAR). She looked at me like i made this all up.I explained what was happening and then another Customer Service clerk walked by and said "hold the button for 5 seconds". I responded that i held it for 2 seconds, for 5 seconds, for 10 seconds etc... until i found the solution on the internet. He said to me "I've NEVER heard of that before" to which i responded, "it is on the Internet...LOOK it up".  Seriously this is here on the B&N website and i have to be subjected to listening to a clerk almost accusing me of making this garbage up. Are you kidding? The clerk even suggested to me that i "turn it on and off once in a while, she does that to her computer regularly and it helps". I mean really, i am the customer i don't expect to be treated that way. Obviously the MASTER CLEAR fixed it and i did not realize until the clerk powered it up in the store. I write this to share with anyone else 2 things...1. that a Master Reset/Clear worked for me, and maybe it will work for you... and 2. that there are some very bad customer service reps in some of these stores. Not good for a company that is in bad shape financially, maybe invest in a customer service trainng class.