Contributor
jesimons
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet with Weak WIFI..

the list..

1) refurbished Nook Tablet 16Gig, 1.4.3 rom, partitioned for 8Gig free..

2) Netgear wireless router WNR834B v2, last full update from Netgear..

the problem is that the Nook will connect, using WPA-PSK [TKIP], Channel 11 at 270mbs (draft N).. the issue is, that the Nook only reads two bars of signal strength when it is 6" from the router.. move it 12" away, only the single "dot" remains.. walk 8 feet, line of sight with no barriers, and it drops all connection to wifi..

i've done everything that is on the net about the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet for wifi issues.. minus purchasing another router.. which i've looked for a recommended router specifically for the Nook, and could not find a consensus as to which would be best..

i have had the Nook for about 27 hours now.. this is disappointing and somewhat upsetting..

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet with Weak WIFI..

Is the system actually in "N" only configuration?

WiFi-N does not get along well in a mixed mode environment (where there are "N" and "B/G" systems).

Do you have neighbors running on channel 11, 10, and maybe 9 ("N" uses a wide bandwidth, and even "G" overlaps with adjacent channels). So neighboring access points could be causing interference (granted, I wouldn't expect interference to directly affect signal strength -- but maybe the "meter" is taking into account packet loss problems, not just signal strength seen; pure signal strength would be reporting on the strongest access point on the channel).

Oh, also note that 802.11n was finalized in 2009 -- "draft N" is 2007; it may not be fully compatible in "N" mode with modern devices.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Some things that MIGHT help:

You should be using 2.5 Ghz if possible. 5 GHz not sure how well it works. Mixed definitely doesn't work with Nook.

Nook doesn't play well with N. Use a, b, or g.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If I read the specification sheet for that router -- it only supports 2.4GHz...

And I've not seen any Nook recognize a 5GHz (a or n) access point (mine has different SSIDs for 2.4 and 5, plus a third SSID for 2.4 "guest" access)

Baron Wulfraed
Contributor
jesimons
0 Kudos

it's strange that it works fine, in N @ 270mbs if it's less than 12" away from the router.. i've switched modes to G (up to 54mbs), completely opened the router, and it does the same exact thing.. i've unplugged the router and let it sit.. turned it back on, same thing.. changed channels, including auto, and it's the same thing..

i'm fairly convinced it's the Nook Tablet, not my router..

as i've said, all other devices used see the router at 80% though walls, etc..

really disappointing.. i'm going to take it to the local B&N tomorrow and see if i can either swap it out, or return it..

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

This: N @ 270mbs if it's less than 12" away from the router

Perhaps the antenna mechanism for your Nook Tablet is weak or something. Not sure what Nook Tablet's 'distance vs strength' behavior is supposed to be. However, it should work. I have seen very few reports of signal getting weak on going away from router and it was always other things like security protocol or a/b/g/n issues.

Hopefully a new one works for you even at long distances.

Contributor
jesimons
0 Kudos

i used my Netgear FM114 A/B router with it.. it did the same exact thing.. more than 12" away, it dropped to one bar.. more than 8 foot away, no connection.. i took this Nook Tablet back to the local B&N, and was *rudely* told that they wouldn't take it back because it's from another retailer..

it's not the fact that i was told that it should go back to the retailer, but in the curt way it was delivered.. it was as if he was getting into a fist fight.. as soon as he looked at the Nook's box, his attitude turned sour..

i am exchanging the Nook Tablet for another one.. hopefully this one will function..

after all of this, this is the last time i purchase anything that has to deal with Barnes & Noble..

i am disgusted..

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's strange. I've mostly heard good things about Store support (and some bad things about phone support).

I think you just got a disgruntled employee.

Best of luck with the new Nook Tablet.

Contributor
jesimons
0 Kudos

the new Nook Tablet seems fine..

i'm ok with it.