Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet won't stay connected to my wi-fi

Good deal. I noticed too that a couple of folks fixed the problem by locking their routers into "G" mode.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my wireless HP printer, but that was because AT&T sent out an update with a setting called "Wi-fi Protected Setup" that was on by default. I caused all types of trouble until someone discovered that setting. It was a simple fix to toggle it off in the modem settings.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

Let me know if that works, hopefully I can figure out how to do it as well.  I was out of town over the weekend and it connected perfectly to at least 5 other networks.  Back home and it's back to the same problems!

Contributor
bnbull
0 Kudos

Well, I swung by the office today to see if the fix also worked there. Unfortunately, it did not. Same problem. It resolved my issue at home, so I can only surmise there are at least two incompatibilities.

Too bad, I really liked the Nook Tablet. I've had a Kindle Fire on hand I've been trying as well, and I think the Nook Tablet is a superior device, but unfortunately with wifi issues that make it unusable fo rme. TIme to return it.

Hope one of the solutions above solves your home wifi issue!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm sorry to see that BN apparently released the NT without creating an option in the wireless settings to turn wifi power saving off - I agree that this may be an issue. 

Another issue I see is that at least one poster sounds like they've locked their wifi router to its highest speed, 145 mbps. 

I would suggest turning off fixed speed settings (if you control the router yourself) - on the NC, at least, many routers do a lot better if they can negotiate a speed with the device than if they are used at their top speed.

I don't have an NT and at the rate things are going may not get one, but for a series of things you can try, I put together a checklist at http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-nc-cant-talk-to-my-wireless.html and I hope the mods can ask one of the members of the nook engineering team to put something together and make a sticky for it, as it sounds like their input would be very valuable here (not just in terms of advice, but in terms of preventing returned units which might otherwise have been fine, working models.)  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

bnbull wrote:

Well, I swung by the office today to see if the fix also worked there. Unfortunately, it did not. Same problem. It resolved my issue at home, so I can only surmise there are at least two incompatibilities.

Too bad, I really liked the Nook Tablet. I've had a Kindle Fire on hand I've been trying as well, and I think the Nook Tablet is a superior device, but unfortunately with wifi issues that make it unusable fo rme. TIme to return it.

Hope one of the solutions above solves your home wifi issue!

Take a look at the Amazon forum

There are a lot of Wifi connection problems with the Fire also.

Contributor
bnbull
0 Kudos

Take a look at the Amazon forum

There are a lot of Wifi connection problems with the Fire also.

Perhaps so, I didn't see any. Regardless, mine hasn't had any problems in the locations I've tested, which is on par with my Android phones, laptops, etc. My post wasn't intended to be "Go Fire!", indeed, it was a lament that it's unfortunate that the device I find much less enjoyable to use is the one working 'properly'.

roustabout
0 Kudos

bn, I didn't take your comment as bagging on the NT at all.  

I don't know what % of android devices generally wind up with weird network issues, but my feeling is "more than computers."  

Google rewrote a lot of things from scratch as they built android for the sole reason of getting as much of the OS into a more closed (Apache) license and out of the fully open source (GPL) license as they could.  

Since the kernel had to be released anyway, I really wish they hadn't decided they could do an okey dokey job on things like the network stack and VPN.  I don't trust the VPN implementation on Android devices as a result, and the number of flat out weird things the network stack does is high, especially given that you basically need root and fairly good low-level commandline skills to troubleshoot on the device.  

That said, BN regularly winds up making changes to something in their Android implementations that degrade networking for some users.  The NST update to 1.1 did it, the 1.2 update to the NC did it, folks with N1Es tell me that it's happened several times on that platform.

I do not know what Amazon's history on this score is, though.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

I took my Nook 7 to work today to see if it would connect there. It connected instantly. So, I am wondering what is the difference between my wireless hook up and the one at work. We have PC and Mac there. This is very frustrating. I tried a couple of things my ISP suggested but so far no go. Help! I want to keep the tablet but if I can't get the at home issue solved it will be returned.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I put together some things to try for the NC awhile back.  Some of it isn't directly relevant - the stuff about router models that are known to have problems, because we don't have that experience with the NT yet - but a lot of it is relevant. 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-nc-cant-talk-to-my-wireless.html

First, try the obvious: hold the power button on your NC in > 15 seconds. Ignore the "do you want to shut down?" dialog. Your NC will power down. Power back on. This process resets some components, and some folks find it helpful. I include it here, but I realize you probably already tried it. More than once.

Another obvious one: are you sure you're entering and sending the wireless password correctly?

Test the password by making a new connection to the AP from a computer or other device in the house. Then, forget your connection on the Nook Color and set it up fresh. Untick the "hide my password" button in the password settings, so you can see what you are typing. Check that your Nook Color and your router agree on both the password and encryption setting (WPA, WEP, WPA2, etc.) you are using.

Now to some of the less-obvious:

1) Take a look in Settings.... Wireless... If your nook color remembers more than 10 wireless networks (these are not just the networks displayed, but those with stored passwords - they are displayed as "remembered") go in and forget a few of the ones you use least often.

The nook color can only store 10 networks' login data, or so I have read. So select and forget a few of the ones that say "remembered" but are out of range. Now try connecting to your AP again.

No?

2) find out what router or access point model you have, and what software it is running. If an update is available from the manufacture, install it and see if your NC can connect after you reboot both devices.

No?

3) Once your router is up-to-date, try this, making each of these changes together:

- tell your router to run in G only or G/N if you'd immediately kill services you need by disabling N.

- Disable MAC filtering

- Disable WEP and WPA

- Put speed in "auto" and channel in "auto" rather than manually setting either

- Broadcast your SSID

- Try setting your lease time to a very long interval - 1 week if possible

If you make those changes you may well be able to connect. Then you can start walking the changes back one at a time.

On the N band setting, you may not be able to "lock" the router at its highest speed or anything close to it under 1.2. You may not be able to use N at all (some Cisco access points in N just don't work with NCs running N, but do work with NCs running G.)

Most folks are ultimately able to hide SSID, use WPA-2 and MAC filtering all without problems. 

There is some very interesting juju happening with WEP. Some WEP connections won't work; if your router only supports WEP, be aware that at one time BN was advising customers that WEP was not supported. To connect to Nook Colors, some WEP-only routers need to be in "open" WEP key mode, some need to be in "shared" WEP key mode, and the Nook Color cannot connect to some.

If your router only supports WEP, as a network guy, I would recommend you replace it and get a router with WPA-2.

Frankly, you might as well run your router without a password until your replacement arrives. Use a different method to secure it (MAC address filtering, all by itself, is far more effective than WEP, and simply not broadcasting your SSID is probably as effective as WEP.)

If you are unable to connect your NT to your access point after updating your AP softwareand  turning off the bells and whistles on your router,

please let BN know that you followed this guide and could not establish a connection. Please also give them the model # of your router or access point.

BN doesn't have a copy of every AP in the universe and right now I think it makes sense to help them identify problem models. APs are commodity hardware. Most run one of a relatively few Linux kernels and a relatively few wireless and ethernet chipsets. The more problem routers BN knows to test, the sooner they'll find a pattern.

Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

I think I may have resolved the problem with connectivity. I have been trying different things and I think I may need to sign in as a guest on my wireless server. I got so far last night and gave up but I think I am on the right track, I just need to find out what the password is for the guest and try it. When I tried to connect it went to guest this time and said it connected but I needed to put in the password which I need to  find out and just haven't had the time yet. I hope it works!

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will let you know if it works.

Reader
Qwilterpc
0 Kudos

My Nook Tablet won't reconnect to my wifi after it has shut down and I turn it back on.  I am told to reboot my router. It connects again if I do that and input the security code again.   I talked to BN support a week ago and they said they would  have "upper level" call me within 7 days.  No call.  I called back today and they said it is an ISP problem because the NOOK says " you have encountered a DHCP issue..."   I talked to Centurytel and they checked everything and said it is fine.  I have an older Nook, 2 Droid Charge phones, 3 computers and a couple printers...all connect with no problem.  So the Nook Tablet gets returned today.  I am not technically savvy and I need/expect my equipment to operate.  Being in the middle between ISP and B&N is a no win situation.  Too bad 'cause I liked the Tablet features.

Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

Finally! I put in my guest password and I haven't had any problems connecting. The Nook tablet is a keeper! My preschoolers enjoyed using it today at school. I have enjoyed using it too. If you have problems it could be something as simple as my problem to fixing it. Good luck!

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

Since you returned your Nook I will respond to anyone else with this same issue of the Nook disconnection to the router issue after turning the Nook off and then back on (Sleep Mode).

For some unknown reason, the Nook cannot 'see' the existing connection.  The solution?  Start up the Nook and then go to your wireless settings and turn OFF (On to Off) the wireless connection.  Then turn it back ON and it will connect up instantly.  It is a solution and there may be others but this is how I have to do it practically everytime!  An inconveniece for sure but pretty minor and that's about the extent of it! :manindifferent:

Contributor
Magic_Emrys
0 Kudos

I have no idea what's wrong with my Nook Tablet, but it's starting to make me want to cry. It's SO much slower than my Nook Color. It's just not connecting to the wireless right. Either it the internet is slow or it's telling me it has little or no connectivity.

I've restarted it. Made it forget the connection and added it again, restarted it again. All the while my Nook Color is MOCKING me for abandoning it for this slow beast.

Reader 4
carmb
0 Kudos

I totally and completely feel your pain. I spent 2 days trying to get mine to connect. Talked to tech support who told me to return it to the store because it was defective. Store said it was fine because it worked there. Store clerks told me it was my firewall. Nope. Knew that wasn't right. Read lots of forums. Finally.....

If you log into your router, look at the speed. It has to be the "up to 54" choice NOT the "154" or "300". We had to dumb down the router for our wireless for it to work. Changed that and I've not had any problems. We just have to put up with slower stuff for our laptops.

Not very happy about the solution, but at least we figured it out. There is another post on this forum somewhere that was very helpful, I searched for "nook tablet netgear" and found it. The person listed all of the router settings (although I'm not sure the speed was one of them). I got to the router settings by going to routerlogin.com on my comptuer (the "universal" login is admin/password). This is where you can see your settings.

I'm not very technical, so likely can't answer any questions, but wanted to share what worked for us.

~CB

New User
thygizmo
0 Kudos

Hi, had a simiular problem.

Had to update the firmware of my NETGear Wireless Router. Now it connects just fine.

Unfortunately, I have found another "feature". Since the spectrum around my place is pretty much crowdede with other Wireless Networks, I changed the default channel to 13...

However the Nook Table does not seem to recognize this channel....

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

thygizmo wrote:

Hi, had a simiular problem.

Had to update the firmware of my NETGear Wireless Router. Now it connects just fine.

Unfortunately, I have found another "feature". Since the spectrum around my place is pretty much crowdede with other Wireless Networks, I changed the default channel to 13...

However the Nook Table does not seem to recognize this channel....

Channel 12 and 13 are not allowed in the US, but are used in Europe.

Nook (and I believe also  Kindle)  supports only the US Wifi channels.

Reader 2
chrisesahpd
0 Kudos

After reconfiguring my N router from WEP to WPA2-PSK, I began to encounter problems similar to many discussed in this thread. After reading some of the suggestions, I decided to try one of the simplest - I reconfigured my router to "G" only. That being the only change, and after several hours of use, I have not experienced a problem - I had been having internet connect losses within 10 minutes of re-establishing internet connection! I hope this helps. I will continue to monitor the thread for questions/comments.
PepperDenny
Reader
occupyMiriam
0 Kudos

is your n router more than 2.4 ghz? that might be the problem. the nook is not compatible with 802.11 b/g/n routers (no more than 2.4ghz)

or 

have you tried deregistering it and registering it again.. that could help ask well.

go to your settings tab>device info> and click on erase and deregister. all your files/photos/etc could be delete it once u deregister but you just go it right? so that shouldn't b a problem..once you deregister the device:

the tablet will restart on it's own and then it will ask you if you want to register it.. go ahead and re register

make sure you're connected to a hotspot when you do so. i hope this helps :heart:

Reader
occupyMiriam
0 Kudos

(typo) i'm sorry It is* compatible with b/g/n routers but no more than 2.4ghz