Reader
kitaMA
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet won't stay connected to my wi-fi

Was also having the same issues with the NT I bought last night. During registration, it would connect, and then randomly go to "connected with no internet"... finally managed to register the nook in the short window before connection was dropped. But thereafter, could not access the web or any web-related apps (app store, email, etc.)

After reading through this thread, switched my wireless router to G only (as suggested above), and that seems to have fixed the problem.

FYI - I use the Fry's Wireless N Router (FR-300RTR). I didn't change any speed or other settings, just switched from g/b/n mixed to g only.

Contributor
jlmwrite
0 Kudos

We just moved and got a new ZyXel modem from Qwest/CenturyLink; my NT would connect to the modem but not get to the internet.

Changing my settings from b/g to g only fixed my connectivity problems as well!

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just to be clear, the NT will work with 'n' only and set to WPA-PSK [TKIP].  I wouldn't use WEP and I really wouldn't use 'g only' unless there is no other way! I have a D-Link router (DIR-655) and have no issues once connected.  I have noticed if you turn your router or your cable modem off along with the NT and then back to ON again, you may have to toggle your wifi ON to OFF on the NT and then back to ON again for it to recognize the network. I haven't figured out why you have to do that but it is a very small inconvenience and only takes a few seconds to do. Now if I leave the router and cable modem on all the time, I never have to fiddle with the wifi ON-OFF-ON setting at all and it always connects up instantly when I turn the NT back on. Once it is connected there is no intermittent disconnection or signal loss no matter what website I am on or what I am doing on the NT.

New User
LPS123
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had a problem connecting the Nook Tablet to my wireless router -- DLINK DIR655.  It connected once, and then caused the router to crash.  The solution ... I updated DLINK firmware to the 2010 update (version  1.35NA) ... problem solved!  Link to site (http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DIR-655&rev=DIR-655)

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

2.00NA...no problems
New User
iceenergy
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet won't connect to my wifi

I am so disapointed with this NOOK Tablet, it won't alow me to forget my wifi in my home, so I can redo it... I am going to retun it and just get a small lap-top, which I know will connect.... $300 is a lot of money to spend on something that has all these issues conecting to Wi-Fi! I should not have to call B&N, or my internet provider to get this set up. I passed up purchaseing a Kindle Fire because of bad reviews, I still should have bought it instead. Several of my friends have them and have been using them the first day!

Reader
Eaner
0 Kudos

But my wireless is only a G connection

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

iceenergy wrote:

I am so disapointed with this NOOK Tablet, it won't alow me to forget my wifi in my home, so I can redo it... I am going to retun it and just get a small lap-top, which I know will connect.... $300 is a lot of money to spend on something that has all these issues conecting to Wi-Fi! I should not have to call B&N, or my internet provider to get this set up. I passed up purchaseing a Kindle Fire because of bad reviews, I still should have bought it instead. Several of my friends have them and have been using them the first day!

I find it strange you cannot forget your Wifi connection. But if you think that is the cause of your problem than as a test change the SSID of your router. That way you also make a new Wifi connection with your router.

If you tell us which router you are using, and which security settings, we can try to help you solve your Wifi problem.

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

I think the poster is long gone, :smileysad:

Reader 2
tom_e_d
0 Kudos

On Sunday, 1/8/12, my nook tablet and a friend's nook color both started having problems connecting to our wifi routers. That day, both of us had to try multiple times to connect to his cisco router, and he eventually gave up. That same day, I started having trouble connecting to my netgear wifi router and have had trouble every day since. I have to make multiple attempts to forget/power down before i can reconnect. It's not an authentication problem. I've had my tablet since 11/18/11 and not had this problem before.
New User
radarat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone had posted an item like this. Most likely everyone is experiencing "Interference" of some type. 2.4Ghz Phones, Bluetooth devices or whatever that is working on the same freq as wifi. Adjusting the speed on your router (source) will slow all devices and yes this will compensate for interefence because the devices can retransmit any lost packets without end users seeing any speed degredation. Turn off your Bluetooth devices and see if that helps you keep a more solid connection. Some routers are running Third Party software to compensate for Interference (DD-WRT) like what I have.

See this

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wifihomenetworking/tp/connectiondrop.htm

radarat

New User
JayNYOne
0 Kudos

Had the same problem.  Restrict your router to "G" only and your problem is solved.  It is a linux issue - not restricted to the Nook.  I had this problem and as soon as I switched the setting on my router, I had no problems whatsoever.

New User
adhocal
0 Kudos

We are having the same problem here at our univeristy.  I manage the wireless network (Aerohive) and our Nook users connect and go to a web page and then the Nook loses connectivty to the network.  I thought the first time this happened that the Nook was defective. Then it happened to another student.  Now one of our staff has one and the exact same thing is happening. If these units can only run on N 2.5 gig or less, then they are pretty much useless.  We are NOT going to change over 80 access points in order to accomodate a product that was obviously not designed properly or tested adequately.  We will be alerting our community to buy a different tablet.  What a shame.  (Our bookstore  sells this travesty....)

Contributor
Liora
0 Kudos

I posted in the wrong place about this, but the Nook just doesn't seem to support my network type.  It's a huge loss for them as it's a big university full of dumb rich kids (really).

It connects and disconnects several times in short succession, and then I get a yellow caution sign in the corner saying to go on my router and tell it my MAC address, which I obviously can't do, and which the IT dept refuses to do for me.  I'm able to connect at home, and to the university's 'guest' network, but this isn't a solution because I had to sneak the password for someone and it changes frequently.

the IT dept has a site that has the below info for how to set up on android.  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get this to work on the Nook.  Someone suggested I manually enter the network, but that had the same exact problem.

Any ideas for this one?

Secured with 802.1x EAP
• EAP Method: TTLS
• Phase 2 authentication: PAP
• CA Certificate: (leave as N/A)
• Client Certificate: (leave as N/A)
• Identity: <NetID>
• Anonymous identity: (leave blank)
•Wireless password: <NetID password>

New User
winnie48
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem connecting my Nook Tablet with my wifi router.  I am using a Netgear WNR2000 router with firmware version V1.2.3.7NA.  My Nook is running the latest version 1.4.1.

The only change that I made was to set the Mode to 'Up to 54' instead of 'Up to 145'.  Once I changed this the Nook Tablet stayed connected to the Internet.  Some of the other settings that I am using are Channel: Auto and WPA2-PSK [AES].  As others have said, my other devices (laptop, desktop, iPad and iPhone)connected before, but only the Nook Tablet had a problem. I have not noticed any issues with normal web browsing but I don't do any steaming so I'm not sure it this would be impacted.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I experienced this problem the day after Christmas (when I received the device as a gift).  I noticed that I would lose WiFi connection in my personal area of the house, which is far enough away from the existing wireless access point that I did not have full WiFi signal strength,

I solved the problem by purchasing another wireless access point on the Internet for $43.  It worked like a charm, and I have had no disconnections since I installed it.  The only catch is that I needed, and had, a wired network connection nearby to which I was able to connect the new access point.  I don't think that the Nook has a particularly sensitive WiFi transceiver in it. 

New User
TJKAY40
0 Kudos

Here is my problem -

I gave this to my Aunt who lives in a condo for Christmas.  In certain rooms, her signal strength on her wifi network is excellent and the connection is perfect.  In another room it goes from excellent to good.  In that room, the signal strength of her downstairs neighbor is excellent because the router is located right underneath that room - so it then drops her good home wifi signal and tries to connect to the neighbors network instead.  She can't, of course, because it is a secured network.  After trying to work with B&N, they try to say it is an intemittent connection problem.  It is not.  All other devices work fine with the network.  The problem is that the wifi connection is always roaming.  So if there is even a slight shift in signal strength it tries to jump to another network.  Her network on her nook wifi connection is never less than good.  I don't understand why you can't tell it which network to connect to and have it actually stay connected to that network.  The tech help did say to tell it to forget the other network, which she is going to try.  Supposedly as long as the you don't power down the tablet, it should remember to forget the other network.  We will see.  They did say that she will have to tell it to forget the other network everytime after powering down and restarting the unit. 

Is anyone else having this problem?  Are there any other solutions for this?

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

TJKAY40 wrote:

Here is my problem -

I gave this to my Aunt who lives in a condo for Christmas.  In certain rooms, her signal strength on her wifi network is excellent and the connection is perfect.  In another room it goes from excellent to good.  In that room, the signal strength of her downstairs neighbor is excellent because the router is located right underneath that room - so it then drops her good home wifi signal and tries to connect to the neighbors network instead.  She can't, of course, because it is a secured network.  After trying to work with B&N, they try to say it is an intemittent connection problem.  It is not.  All other devices work fine with the network.  The problem is that the wifi connection is always roaming.  So if there is even a slight shift in signal strength it tries to jump to another network.  Her network on her nook wifi connection is never less than good.  I don't understand why you can't tell it which network to connect to and have it actually stay connected to that network.  The tech help did say to tell it to forget the other network, which she is going to try.  Supposedly as long as the you don't power down the tablet, it should remember to forget the other network.  We will see.  They did say that she will have to tell it to forget the other network everytime after powering down and restarting the unit. 

Is anyone else having this problem?  Are there any other solutions for this?

Try using a different WiFi channel on your router from that your neighbor is using, and make sure you're using WPA2 with MAC authentication.

Contributor
PiscesMN
0 Kudos

I have a Netgear N and had trouble all morning. A little while ago I turned off my router, then turned off the modem and then turned the modem back on, then the routerback on and so far so good. If this lasts, hooray. If not I still have some holy water from Lourdes and will use that to get my psyche in order.
Reader 2
Maria80
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook Tablet for my son and it will stay connected for about 5 min and then kick you off. I have a nook color and I have no problems what so ever I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue?

It is just irratating when you look something up and you are just sitting there reading it and the page closes out and goes to your home screen.