Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook Tablet won't stay connected to my wi-fi

I purchased a tablet yesterday, and I haven't been able to get it to stay connected to my wi-fi.  I have a Netgear wireless N router, and have never had problems connecting devices to it.  My laptop/360/android phone all connect without problems. 

I was finally able to get through the registration process after reconnecting 3 or 4 times, but I've never been able to access any internet, app stores, etc.  If I unlearn and reconnect it will say "connected to the internet" but only for a short time.  When it checks the connection it will switch to "connected with no internet".  I called tech support and they were pretty useless.  All they wanted me to do was reset the nook, router, etc...then she said to take it to the store and exchange it.

Has anyone else had this problem?  If I won't be able to use the internet at home I'm going to have to return it.

Thanks!

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Tablet won't stay connected to my wi-fi

I personally would try to return it. If everything else seems to stay connected OK, then I would suspect the Nook. I haven't gotten my tablet yet, but my Color doesn't have the range of my laptop. If you're a good ways from the router, then the only other thing you could check would be the output power of the router. Most of them default to 10 or maximum unless they're manually changed.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'm hoping to run over to a store today to see if it will connect there.  I live in a small apartment, so I'm really only about 10 ft away from the router max when I'm sitting on the couch.  I'm hoping it's a defective unit, because I'll be bummed if I have to get rid of it!

Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

Well I took it in to a store today over lunch, and the lady that looked at it said it was having issues there as well, even though you could browse the net on it.  I didn't have my receipt so I took it back and exchanged it tonight.  I played with the new one a while at the store with no issues, and now that I'm home it won't do anything....

I have a wnr2000 Netgear Router.  Nothing else has ever had issues using the wi-fi.  Any suggestions??

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

When you say it won't do anything, do you mean it doesn't even see the router or it won't connect.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

Sorry.  It will get an IP address, and connect and say that it's connected to the internet.  Then if I try to do anything at all that requires internet..BN store, aps, newspapers, web, netflix etc.  it says that there's a connection issue and to check wireless settings. 

When I go back in to the settings it will say connected, testing... then it will eventually go to connected but no internet.

I've cycled the router a few times, powered down the tablet, forgotten and re-entered my network, and tried running it on WPA-PSK [TKIP], WPA2-PSK [AES], and WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] with no success.

My router SSID has a unique name, and the mode is set to up to 145Mbps.

Thanks for any help, I really don't want to buy a new router when this one works perfectly fine!

Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

I should also note that it will occasionally switch from "connected but no internet" and go back to "connected to the internet" if I let it sit at the wireless settings screen for a while.  Last time I picked it up I even had a new email notification for the email address I added to it while at the store, so apparently it will actually have connectivity at some point.  Getting a new email is the most internet activity I've been able to do with it though.  I can't get a webpage to load ever, or browse apps, or any other internet driven applications.

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if it's a wireless "N" problem. It wouldn't suprise me if B&N isn't running an N router and you were able to connect using wireless G. I'm not familiar with that router, but I'm wondering if you can restrict it to "G" only and if it works that way, then you'll know that it's still a Nook problem and it was just connecting via wireless G at the store.

Just a thought.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

Thats a good idea, but I can't figure out if I'm able to do that.  They say it is backwards compatible with G devices though, and I am able to ocassionally receive email notifications so it seems to work for very short periods of time.

Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

I was at micro center today, and the guy there thought it might be a port forwarding issue?  Does anyone know what the default port setting would be for the tablet?  He told me to search around for default protocol, but I cant seem to find that anywhere online.

Correspondent
TelSC

I also have another thoght. Do you have any other wireless devices around such as cordless phones, baby monitors, wireless alarm, etc? Most routers broadcast on 2.4ghz as do other devices like some cordless phones. It could be your getting interference from another cordless device. If you have a cordless phone or something like that, try unplugging it. Also, if there are any speakers or a monitor near the router, try to move it away from them. Interference could be a big problem.

Also, did you say it drops in mid-use? The Nook does drop internet when it goes to sleep.

Also, does your router have a unique broadcast name so it can't try to connect to a neighbors router with the same name.

Have you tried going into the Nook's wireless connections and having it forget yours and then making a new connection to your router.

You could also go into the router setup and change the channel it's broadcasting on.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

It is near my subwoofer for my tv, but I haven't noticed any issues with my signal before.  I do have a unique name, and it's the only wireless thing I use.  I used to use my wireless rear speakers, but that did cause interference so I don't use em anymore.  I'll try moving it to a new spot and see if that helps.

It's hard to describe what it's doing exactly.  When I initially connect it says that it's connected to the internet, but I can't acually access anything through the web here.  The only thing that has ever come through have been emails to the account I set it up with while at the BN store.

Contributor
A_E_D
0 Kudos

To answer the questions I forgot, I do have a unique SSID, and I've tried a few channels with no avail.

Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

I received my Nook Tablet yesterday and tried to hook up to my wifi today. I have been totally frustrated! I did some research on the Nook site and saw that I may need a mac wireless filter. I called my phone co. that supplies my internet and router, he didn't know anything and said I could talk to a techy for $40. I called the Nook site and he tried to help me but he also said I would probably need a port thing which is the mac wireless filter and my phone co. could do it for me. So, I called again and got someone who knew a little more and suggested the same techy or I could get someone I trust to do it for me. I am not happy with having to pay someone $40 to make my Nook work. If I had known that I would not have bought the Nook Tablet. I really would like to keep it. I have a while before I run out of time to return so I guess I will see if I can find someone to do this for me instead of having to pay someone. Very dissappointed as this is a present for my husband and I was hoping to have it set up and ready to give. My wifi hooked up and then said disconnected. I did get to the B&N registration page twice and it said that there was a problem with my connection. After that I have not gotten anywhere with it. **bleep** luck.

Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

I don't know why it bleeped g-o-o-d.

Contributor
bnbull
0 Kudos

I've had a similar problem with my Nook.

When I use my Nook Tablet at work, where we use AeroHive APs, I can connect and see a very strong signal. The first web page I load loads very quickly, but afterwards nothing loads at all. No web pages, no data from apps. Turning wifi off and on again repeats the process. Seems like the first connection or two works then nothing after. When it stops working, it'll fail the "testing" part on the wifi status screen, even though it passed it when first connecting.

I tried power cycling and even doing a factory reset, with no improvement.

At home I have two wifi networks, one on a Linksys WRT160N and another on an Apple Airport Extreme AP. When connected to the WRT160N I have similar connection problems, but it seems to last a little longer before getting stuck. When connected to the Airport Extreme, things mostly work fine. Pages load, though sometimes it can seem a bit slow.

I did some testing. I assigned a static IP to the Nook, and then 'ping'd it from another machine on the network. When it was connected to the WRT160N, the pings had extreme variation in latency, and many were lost. Once the connection broke, no more pings came back. On the Airport Extreme, the pings were received pretty reliably (98%+), but the latency was a little irregular -- varying between 5ms and 80ms. Also works OK on my Verizon 4G hotspot.

I also have a Kindle Fire I've been trying, and it works on both of my home APs and the work APs. On all of them, it's consistently pingable and with a consistent latency (~5ms). My phone and laptop of course also connect to all of these networks without issue. Some of my coworkers use iPads and HTC Flyers as well.

I spoke to the tech support but they didn't have much beyond the power cycle bit. I'm going to try exchanging tomorrow and see if it makes any difference. I've been enjoying the Nook Tablet a lot, but if I can't use it at work, it's gotta go!

Contributor
bnbull
0 Kudos

A-J-D,

MAC filtering is typically an optional setting on your wireless router that restricts who can use your wireless router by the semi-unique "MAC address" assigned to each device. Only devices on the router's list can use the wireless.

Most wireless APs/routers have this disabled by default. If you're typically able to connect and use laptops, phones, etc. without typing in a bunch of stuff that looks like A0:B4:FF:smileyvery-happy:1:3C:9F into your router interface each time, then you almost certainly don't have MAC filtering enabled and thus this isn't your problem.

Contributor
A-J-D
0 Kudos

I sent an email to my interent provider running the nonconnectivity by them. Hopefully, they can help. I don't have any problems with connecting with my two laptops. I am using the Westell modem and a Cisco Valet router. I talked to Cisco and they couldn't help me either. I am at a loss here. I really like the Nook and I want to keep it. Could this one be defective? Thank you for your reply.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I purchased my device this evening and came home to find out that I am having the same problem with my connectivity.  I also have an NST which connects very rapidly and efficiently.  However, the NT is a different story.  I also have a Kindle Touch which has not had any troubles connecting with my modem, 2wire from AT&T.  Shall I return my device in order to get a new one?

Thanks for your advise.

Lector GS
Contributor
bnbull
0 Kudos

So I swapped my Nook for a replacement one.. no improvement. Exact same behavior.

After doing some searching I turned up these two posts:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/54362-root-required-solve-droid-wifi-rand...

https://supportforums.motorola.com/message/106891#106891

This seemed highly related, at least to my issue with connectivity that works at first, then not. It seems the Nook defaults to using a power saving extension that is incompatible with some APs.  I figured out how to get root, and then tried the fix (the echo | wlan_cu commands). It seems to have made a difference on my home AP. I'll report on Monday whether it helps on the office APs.