Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Nook battery draining

I am having trouble with my nook staying charged. This problem doesn't happen consistently so I am not sure what the problem is. I charged it a few days ago but have not used it. It was in sleep mode. Tried to use it today and the battery was so low it wouldn't even turn on. Wifi is off. I hadn't used any apps recently and when I do use an app I try to remember to turn off the nook completely when I am done as I have had issues with apps not shutting down and draining the battery(at least I think this is one reason why). I do not have an SD card and I am not rooted. I also have the screen brightness as low as possible and I use the energy saver mode. Twice I have have had my nook on the charger until it turned green only to find it hadn't actually charged. Other times my nook works great. It will stay in sleep mode for days with me using it a little here and a little there and not needing to charge for 5 days or longer. Any ideas?

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Re: Nook battery draining

Unfortunately, just an ongoing Nook Tablet issue. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping today's software update fixes it...

Frequent Contributor
tvd1204
0 Kudos

Sounds like the battery is bad. Take it to a store and see what they can do for you.

Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

rats, did a live chat with customer service and had to do a hard reset. What a pain in the hiney. But if it works great. Now to re-download everything and re-install all my sideloaded content. Hope it works. Sad thing is, my NT is only 2 months old.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, doing a hard reset is the standard answer for everything, and it won't help...I have the same problem with my battery, and have done several hard resets.  What I find that does help is doing a soft reset after I have used any apps or been on the internet with it.  I think it is a bug and am hoping that B&N will push through a fix for this in a future update.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

Well, that is what I am afraid of. I have made it a practice to turn off my nook completely after I have used any apps. Sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes not. It's the seeming randomness of the battery draining that gets me. I have no idea what is causing it. This last time I had charged my NT but didn't even use it and it drained to the point it couldn't even be turned on 3 days later.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I would definitely take it in to the store and tell them what is going on.  Let them know you have already contacted customer service and that it didn't help.  It may just be that you got a bad one. 

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis
Inspired Contributor
Badmamajama
0 Kudos

Yeppers! That very same thing happened to my nook color today. I fully charged it last night and turned it off after it was fully charged. Before turning it off though, I turned off my WiFi. Funny thing is, a few hours after I had turned it off, I discovered it had come back on and had booted up. I thought that really weird. so I again turned it off.

I attempted to turn it on this morning only to discover it was too low to even turn on. So, I plugged the charger in and after about 15 minutes it booted up on the charger. Now that to me is strange. what on earth could kill the battery whe it is turned off?

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ramblings of the Engineer, Easycool
Contributor
Scott70
0 Kudos

The nnok is designed to charge while on, if you turn it off (press and hold then choose power off in the dialog box) and then plug it in it will come on.

I'm not 100% certain of this but I think this is because the battery management software needs to be running.

I don't have an answer for the quick battery drain but at least you know the nook coming back on when you're charging it is just the way it is designed.

My postings on this site are my own and do not represent Barnes & Noble's positions, strategies or opinions.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02

Just wanted to say that there is finally an app killer app...it is called Your App Manager, and it works great.  I downloaded it yesterday, killed the apps that were running in the background, read for a while last night, put my nook tablet to bed with 88% left on the battery, woke up this morning and the battery was still at 88%!!!  That hasn't happened since I bought my tablet.  I am very pleased with the app.  It is only .99 cents in the app store.  A very well spent dollar IMO.

Reading Now:
by Stephan Davis
Contributor
idgal
0 Kudos

Ok, I've been having the same issues.  I just went and got the app manager.   Hope that helps.   Thank you for the great tip. :smileyhappy: