New User
medeaV

Re: Nook tablet won't power on

Thank goodness for the web and people like yourselves writing in with questions and solutions! That is why I'm beginning to add to this thread.  I tried holding down the power up button 20 secs, off 3 secs, on 2 seconds and the nook powered up.  My Concern is this:  Great to have the esoteric solution somewhere handy because of you fine people,  But, Come On B&N, this is a Bug!  It has been a bug since when?  This thread started 2012.  Fix the bug and make it available to our nook downloads.  It is a software issue, not a hardware issue (can you tell I'm a software developer?!)  You can deploy a software fix and have it pop up just when a nook user goes into the "shop" site.  hmmm... i feel strongly about this and will follow up with B&N.  Thank all. ~medea

New User
Cayce0628

Just had this happen to me I tried every suggestion on this thing 3 times each finally on the last try of the power + n it didn't work and I was about to give up let it sit for a min while I searched  for something else to try and it turned itself on..... Seriously B&N this is crazy fix this crap Im on my second Nook  and third charger, I would go to kindle but most of my books are B&N books and other things that B&N has that Kindle doesn't that keeps me from no switching but this is the last straw one more thing and Im switching to something else.

New User
der3
0 Kudos

I was encouraged to read the power on and n at the same time for 20 sec.  but have tried it several times and nothing has happened.  I am so frustrated and disappointed.  I have truly enjoyed my Nook tablet but this is not good.  Any other suggestions?

New User
der3
0 Kudos

I checked with online chat (Nook) and he said not to charge the Nook more than 3 1/2 hours. I've been charging overnite.
He said to do the power on for 50 seconds. It is now working & charging.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

der3 wrote:
I checked with online chat (Nook) and he said not to charge the Nook more than 3 1/2 hours. I've been charging overnite.
He said to do the power on for 50 seconds. It is now working & charging.

I've been charging my NOOK Tablet overnight for the past 13 months (since I have owned it), and have had no problems.  I'm not so sure that the B&N online chat is very reliable. 

New User
EllynorRaven
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, I was going to start crying if this thing died!!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Seconding what Deesy said.

I just leave the Nook plugged in for days at a time. It works fine.

New User
musicgirlAS
0 Kudos

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! THIS IS SOO IMPORTANT TO ME AND I HAVE SO MANY THINGS I HAVE TO DO ON IT!

New User
SansAlias

Thank you... that solution worked. Was charging my Nook and went to turn it on and nothing. Came here to this site and got my answer in almost no time.

Thanks again...
Jon

T
Reader
vtmom43
0 Kudos

Thank you sooo much, it just worked for me too !

New User
deborah723
0 Kudos

thankyouthankyouthankyou! My nook is my absolutely favorite toy. I was totally stressed out at just the thought of it not working.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Regarding this: I was encouraged to read the power on and n at the same time for 20 sec.

What has worked for people is - doing it 30 seconds.

Also I see above where someone from Help suggested trying it 50 seconds. It's worth a shot if 30 seconds doesn't work.

New User
rjahnsen
0 Kudos

OMG! Thank you! I though my Nook was fried by a power surge while it was charging in my camper. You saved my life because I don't think I could live without my Nook!
New User
jennpGA

Had the same issue, Nook just "died" and we could not get it to power on at all.  I read this thread and did MULTIPLE combinations of holding just the power button or holding power & n for 20, 30, 50, then 60 seconds & NOTHING worked.  I finally got onto the live chat & the Nook rep told me to plug the nook into the wall charger & do the power & n combo for 20 seconds and then hold just the power for 5 seconds.  After doing this three times, the Nook flashed a "battery to low to power up" message.  The online support rep said to let it charge 3-4 hours & it would be good to go.  I would say I had to press buttons at least 10 times.  So don't get discouraged if yours won't "boot" right away; I'd suggest plugging it into the wall charge & keep at it. 

New User
sophie72
0 Kudos

Thanks. My tablet is now working.
New User
amjsmoma
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. I got this for my 7 yr old and she added stuff to it and I thought she added a virus or something, I had no clue was about to pack it up and take back to store. Thank you so much!
New User
mmyw
0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!! Went to the local B&N and the woman told me my unit had burned out and asked if I had an extended warranty! Don't you think their staff should know about the reset???
New User
jakd_up
0 Kudos

This suggestion worked for me! Thank you!
Frequent Contributor
Sunflower_galaxy
0 Kudos

The other thing I have found helpful is to hold the power button for about 30 seconds (the timing isn't a hard and fast rule) and then as soon as you let go of the power button to plug the nook into the wall charger. It seems to get the nook out of a loop it is stuck in. Depending on the charge on the nook, this will either restart the device or allow it to charge and then turn on.

New User
Jeenz
0 Kudos

TY This worked!