Inspired Contributor
EB613
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

One More NT/NC Update?

I know this has been covered before, but does anyone (including Alex and 5ivedom) know about one last final update to NT at least, perhaps NC?

I was thinking that Nook Video would have been great for NT. I'm happy with my NT though-it's great for college and just plain old reading. Netflix and Hulu work great. I seem to have bad luck ripping DVDs. (Can anyone help me with that? I have a Mac and I hate Handbrake--unless I'm using it wrong, which wouldn't surprise me.)

I know 5ivedom, have commented on the subject in these threads. Do you have any updated info, 5ivedom? As a developer I thought you may have had some updated info. You had commented earlier that you were pretty sure that BN would update the NT/perhaps NC crowd. What are your thoughts now that it's January?

PS--Anyone who's new, go search "5ivedom" and get those apps! I have been nothing but pleased with the apps this team has made!

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18

Re: One More NT/NC Update?

[ Edited ]

Anyone that works for B&N that can talk about anything new, only gets the news a few seconds before the rest of us.

The electronics products industry is extremely close-lipped about the future, and B&N is more paranoid in this area than most.

For updates, the first we typically hear of it, is from some user who has been unexpectly updated.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

DeanGibson wrote:

Anyone that works for B&N that can talk about anything new, only gets the news a few seconds before the rest of us.

The electronics products industry is extremely close-lipped about the future, and B&N is more paranoid in this area than most.

For updates, the first we typically hear of it, is from some user who has been unexpectly updated.

Not true, sometimes the people who work at B&N hear days after you.  :smileywink:

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EB613, thanks for the kind words.

It's all speculation on my part.

That it makes a ton of sense for B&N to add Nook Video to Nook Tablet. That since apps like Netflix and Hulu work, Nook Video should too. I don't see any technological limiting factor.

The one thing is that B&N has stopped selling Tablets. So you have competing factors -

1) Large installed based of Nook Tablet (and Color).

2) No more new device sales for Nook Tablet (and Color).

We don't really get any 'special' information on non app store related features such as 'Nook Video'. What I can tell you is that B&N put in a lot of information for people who want to make video player apps for Nook HD and HD+.

Lots and lots of information on codecs supported etc. So there does seem to be a focus on Videos, but for HD and HD+.

Not sure if Tablet is seen as part of this new push for video apps.

Lots of people say good things about DVD Catalyst (http://www.dvdcatalyst.com/). Not sure if that's available for Mac (it doesn't seem it is). You could email the DVD Catalyst person and get his recommendation for Mac.