Reply
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012

Re: Over Priced Apps

I personally think that Angry Birds Space doesnt count since its new but even in apple and andriod the other Angry Birds and great games like are .99 or free, they just have adds which arent bad considering when they pop-up they normally have a skip button.
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,043
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Over Priced Apps


Adelynn wrote:
I personally think that Angry Birds Space doesnt count since its new but even in apple and andriod the other Angry Birds and great games like are .99 or free, they just have adds which arent bad considering when they pop-up they normally have a skip button.

The version of ABS that you buy for $2.99 here (the tablet optimized HD version) is $2.99 everywhere. The $.99 one is the cell phone version that looks terrible on any screen over 4 inches.

 

I personally can't stand advertisements getting in the way of anything, even if it has a "skip" button, so paying the massive sum of $3 for quite some hours of gameplay isn't too onerous for me.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Over Priced Apps


flyingtoastr wrote:

Adelynn wrote:
I personally think that Angry Birds Space doesnt count since its new but even in apple and andriod the other Angry Birds and great games like are .99 or free, they just have adds which arent bad considering when they pop-up they normally have a skip button.

The version of ABS that you buy for $2.99 here (the tablet optimized HD version) is $2.99 everywhere. The $.99 one is the cell phone version that looks terrible on any screen over 4 inches.

 

I personally can't stand advertisements getting in the way of anything, even if it has a "skip" button, so paying the massive sum of $3 for quite some hours of gameplay isn't too onerous for me.


Personally, I find ads offensive in general.  I have to sit through them when I watch TV, or listen to the radio, or when I surf the web.  I absolutely loath when I want to run an app, and there's somebody wanting to sell me something before I use it and I think it's only right to pay a couple bucks for an app that someone has spent time developing.  At least the ones from B&N look great on the NT (and they don't have any reference to ring tones, auto dialers, or any other such useless junk).

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Correspondent
Sandan53
Posts: 74
Registered: ‎11-21-2010

Re: Over Priced Apps

I agree I will not by an app that has advertisements in it.  For some reason I just don't like the adds. But to each his/her wish.  I have a WII and xbox,  the games are, onsale for $19.00, new up to $60.00.  With those prices the average price of $0.99 to $5.00 is a steal to me.

 

2 NC, 1 NT, 1 Kindle Touch (because of text to speech).

Everyone says that they are listening but, no one remembers what was said.
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012

Re: Over Priced Apps

Well if you want to waste your to save a couple seconds thats your loss
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,586
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: Over Priced Apps

Adelynn commented:

 

> Well if you want to waste your to save a couple seconds thats your loss <

 

Ah, but it's not his loss at all.  He already stated that he "can't stand advertisements getting in the way of anything".  Clearly, taking a couple seconds to clear the ad, over and over and over again, is a much higher price to pay than the money you claim he is wasting.  You need to accept that fact.

 

There are definitely some people who agree with your POV, and hate paying anything at all for Apps.  But not everyone feels the same way.  However it definitely is YOUR loss (and many others) if by your complaining, and demands to get all your Apps for free, you drive away software developers who decided there is no point in creating Apps for the Nook tablets.

 

You are a member of a vocal group who not only complains that Nook apps aren't free, but also constantly asks, "Why aren't there more apps for the Nooks?".  Think about it.

 

- Mark

 

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Over Priced Apps


Adelynn wrote:
Well if you want to waste your to save a couple seconds thats your loss

You missed my point.  It has nothing to do with time, it's about priciple.  I'm sick of ads being shoved in my face everywhere I look.  I don't think a couple of bucks is an unreasonable amount to pay for an app, and if my paying it helps add incentive for the developer to continue to support it and create new apps, then all the better.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
Ahbella
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

Ive been wanting cut the rope and angry birds ever since i got my nook. My mom wont let me buy it because its 2.99 when it should be .99! I hate to compare this to apple but come on barnes and noble :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps


Ahbella wrote:
Ive been wanting cut the rope and angry birds ever since i got my nook. My mom wont let me buy it because its 2.99 when it should be .99! I hate to compare this to apple but come on barnes and noble :smileysad:

Please read reply 22 of this thread.

Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

I completely agree, one i wish i could get some better apps but cant because Im running out of cash on my gift card and my dad doesnt want me using his money for an app. And any way I dont play my apps that much but when i do i want good games.
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Contributor
tarzanphan
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

I have found that I almost always end up upgrading from a free version to a paid version.  I find ads being shoved in my face annoying too. 

 

For the most part, it seems to me that the app quality in the B&N store is much more stable than the app quality in the Amazon Android App store.  And you don't have to look far to see if it works on your device.

Reader 2
MilanoooLeeeigh
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎03-06-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

Thats actually Not true.while my Nook was rooted apps like angry birds temple run draw something etx were HD clear an i got them from stores like andriod market amazon app brain etc.
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

Does rooting your nook effect it in bad ways at all and if not how do you do so?
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

if you agree we have over priced apps please click the laurel leaf 

 

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps


Czechboy wrote:

Adelynn wrote:
Well if you want to waste your to save a couple seconds thats your loss

You missed my point.  It has nothing to do with time, it's about priciple.  I'm sick of ads being shoved in my face everywhere I look.  I don't think a couple of bucks is an unreasonable amount to pay for an app, and if my paying it helps add incentive for the developer to continue to support it and create new apps, then all the better.

and your missing my point. My point is that i dont like to have to pay money for an app and for someone who is too young to have a job and buy everything on her nook wth gift cards getting free enjoyable apps benifits me greatly and i dont know about you but i like to save money not spend it on things that could be free ( see FREE APP PETTION)

 

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Over Priced Apps


Adelynn wrote:

Czechboy wrote:

Adelynn wrote:
Well if you want to waste your to save a couple seconds thats your loss

You missed my point.  It has nothing to do with time, it's about priciple.  I'm sick of ads being shoved in my face everywhere I look.  I don't think a couple of bucks is an unreasonable amount to pay for an app, and if my paying it helps add incentive for the developer to continue to support it and create new apps, then all the better.

and your missing my point. My point is that i dont like to have to pay money for an app and for someone who is too young to have a job and buy everything on her nook wth gift cards getting free enjoyable apps benifits me greatly and i dont know about you but i like to save money not spend it on things that could be free ( see FREE APP PETTION)

Your point was obvious, you want every app for free.  Well, if your so dead set on obtaining free apps, maybe you should have looked at the B&N app market before you bought it.  I believe, most people who buy a nook, buy it for it's primary purpose... ereader.  The apps are nice, but certainly not the primary function.

 

You can always root your device or get an Android image on an sd card and download free apps 'til your hearts content.  I don't think you're going to get very far with B&N by ranting on these forums.  You've spent your money on a device that didn't (in your opinion) live up to your expectations, and now you want B&N to bend over backwards to "fix" it.

 

I understand your pain, really I do.  I have kids in the same boat.  But for a lot less aggrevation, you can make the device into what you want it to be with an aftermarket Android sd card.  It sounds like the app ability is really what your interested in.  It's been stated many times in this forum that the app developers are who set the prices for their apps, not B&N.  But it's B&N's choice not to allow free (unsanctioned) apps onto the device.  You have to understand that free apps are not without some degree of risk.  I've heard lots of stories of people ending up with viruses because of the ads on some free apps.  It wasn't the developers' fault, it's the ads themselves.

 

I still believe that if you're going to use the nook as it was intended, a couple of bucks for an add free app is not a big deal.  At least you know the app will work on the nook and look really good at the same time.

 

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

Im not saying I want EVERY app free just more of them and anyway why does everyone defend 3.00 apps like they enjoy spending money on them. I understand that its developers that price the ads and all that junk but they also have the free version with ads that those of us who only have a gift card to go by can get. Its not like they will take away all the apps that cost 3.00 and up. I just dont understand why b&n has a no ad policy and if you want to get an app makes you spend money when they arent even that good.

You guys STILL arent getting my point even though your right it is OBVIOUS!

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,586
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
Registered: ‎12-14-2010

Re: Over Priced Apps

[ Edited ]

Adelynn wrote:

 

> ...your[sic] missing my point. My point is that i dont like to have to pay money for an app and for someone who is too young to have a job and buy everything on her nook wth gift cards getting free enjoyable apps benifits me greatly... <

 

I don't think anyone here is missing your point, Karen.  You've made it pretty clear.  Obviously getting things you want for free will be beneficial for you.  You don't need to explain this to us, over and over again.  The difference is that many of us are used to working to get the things we want.  Even if you are 'too young to have a job', there are always ways to earn some coin.  However, you may have to wait, and save a while, which I know is exceptionally difficult in this instant gratification society we live in today.

 

> Im not saying I want EVERY app free just more of them <

 

OK.  So as long as the ones you want are free, then you're OK with it.  :smileyhappy:

 

> ...and anyway why does everyone defend 3.00 apps like they enjoy spending money on them. <

 

It could be because, like maybe, they're worth 3 whole dollars?

 

I understand that its developers that price the ads and all that junk <

 

Please, write an app yourself and put it into the app store.  Then let us know how much the time you spent to do so is worth.  (And before you argue that you're too young, you should know that kids as young as 9 have written apps.  But I don't think they gave them away for free.  :smileywink:)

 

but they also have the free version with ads that those of us who only have a gift card to go by can get. Its not like they will take away all the apps that cost 3.00 and up. <

 

It is not true that every app has an ad-supported version.  However, you are correct that this is a growing trend.  And as it grows, more and more people like yourself will question why everything is not free.  I think that's a serious attitude problem, but that's just my opinion.

 

I just dont understand why b&n has a no ad policy <

 

Ah, well, in that case, I suggest you direct your question to B&N.  They would be the ones who know, and could provide you with that information. They must have some good reason for it ('good' from their perspective). 

 

I can tell you that there are developers out there who feel as you do, and would like this as an option.  There are also even devs who won't bring their apps over, specifically because this route to monetization is not available on the Nook platform.

 

Perhaps if B&N shared their reasons with you, you could formulate a rebuttal, which would make them understand why they are wrong, and it would be in the best interests of their customers to make ad-supported an option.  Then you could have a real impact, and effect the kind of change you'd like to see.

 

and if you want to get an app makes you spend money when they arent even that good. <

 

Nobody makes you spend money.  That's a decision that you make.  If 'they aren't even that good', don't buy them!  Problem solved.

 

- Mark

 

[Unfortunately, I suspect that 'they arent even that good' doesn't override, 'But I still want it!'.]

Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps

When i say they arent even that good I mean you only like them for a little while then you get bored of them and when you assumed theres a but I still want them in there your not correct yes they provide enjoyment for a little while so yes there is a bit of desire for them but not enough for me to buy them because I havent
Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,950
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Over Priced Apps


Karen973 wrote:
When i say they arent even that good I mean you only like them for a little while then you get bored of them and when you assumed theres a but I still want them in there your not correct yes they provide enjoyment for a little while so yes there is a bit of desire for them but not enough for me to buy them because I havent

Karen, expecting a developer to sacrifice their time so you can play free, even for a few minutes, is not realistic. Ask whoever pays your bills how much of their time they'd be happy to give away instead of earning a paycheck. Developers have every right to expect a few bucks for their efforts, and $3.00 is nothing compared to how much most PC games cost, no matter how much you play them. 

 

The "free" games you want are ad-supported, and simply put, Barnes & Noble doesn't do ad-supported. You can either buy another device, or modify yours so you can load such games, but the effort is not trivial and you might need some help.

 

The easiest solution to your problem is to ask whoever charges your gift card to add some funds to it. Presumably, you will have earned this by doing whatever it is you do to keep in their good graces, whether it be chores, homework or maintaining a high GPA. I was more than happy to buy my kids games so long as they kept their grades at nosebleed levels.