Contributor
klavierfrau
0 Kudos

PC stopped finding Micro SD card

My PC seems to no longer be able to "see" my micro SD card.  It used to list two drives - one being the Nook Color the other being the micro SD card.  Now it just shows the Nook as a drive. The Nook Color itself seems to have no problem reading the SD card. I've tried shutting down the NC completing, taking out the card and putting it back in, but that didn't help.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: PC stopped finding Micro SD card

It might be a problem with the SD Card.

When you connect your Nook to the PC it reads the NOOK hard drive and the SD Card as separate drives. If it's not recognizing the SD Card then it has something to do with the SD Card.

You can do the following:

1) Plug in your Nook. Go to Computer > control Panel > Hardware & Sounds > Device Manager. Then right click on the computer line item and choose 'Scan for Hardware changes'.

See if this brings it up.

2) Take out SD Card and put it back in while Nook is plugged in.

3) Check what happens when you try SD Card via a SD Card reader.

4) Try a restart of Nook (even though it's very unlikely to be Nook related).

5) Restart Pc.

For me I've gotten this issue just once and it went away by itself.

Contributor
klavierfrau
0 Kudos

It has to be something with this particular PC - although it used to read the SD card.  My home PC can still read it. Any ideas?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Might be a driver problem.

You'll have to go to Device Manager (via Control Panel and then Hardware and Sound).

IMPORTANT: Don't do anything to Nook since that is working.

Right click against the drives to see if you can figure out which one is the SD Card. I'm not sure how to do this. You might have to Google it.

Then you'll have to update the driver OR uninstall and then let Windows find the driver.

New User
harrylongstroke
0 Kudos

the last tip definitely works!

i had a problem with my computer recognizing my sd card loaded inside of my nook tablet.  my computer would recognize my nook in the (F:smileyhappy: drive.  if my (C:smileyhappy: drive is my main drive and my (D:smileyhappy: drive my dvd drive, then it would follow that the E: drive is missing somewhere!

went to device manager.  if you have windows 7, just hit the windows key and type in the words 'device manager'.  with the nook tablet plugged in (and assuming the sd card works with the nook tablet), click anywhere in the device manager window, click on action, and select 'check for hardware changes'.  

for me, the sd card appeared as an unknown item (it happened so quickly, i don't remember the exact words).  i right clicked on that item, selected update driver, and then i browsed my computer for drivers.  i selected generic drive.

after that, my computer read my sd card!  thanks for the tip.  this definitely fixed my problem!