New User
breakingme10
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Previous Owner Never DeRegistered!

I bought a used Nook Tablet, the Previous Owner Thomas Johnson email is trinity-tk@yahoo.com never deregistered the nook from his account. We all know that "erase and deregister" doesn't remove it from that account. I can't seem to contact this guy at ALL and customer support won't deregister the nook unless I have his address and THE LAST FOUR DIGITS OF THE CREDIT CARD ON HIS ACCOUNT! COME ON! Who is gonna give that info out at all?! Anyone have any suggestions?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Re: Previous Owner Never DeRegistered!

"Erase and deregister" DOES remove it from an account, but a "factory reset" does not.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
New User
breakingme10
0 Kudos

I've restarted it and tried Erase and Deregister multiple times with no solution. I bypasses Oobe to do that. This is the biggest headache I've ever had. I have a Nook Color. But I wanted to upgrade and see if this was truly better. And can't even get it to register

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When a user does a "erase and deregister", a wifi connection is required in order for the Nook to notify the B&N servers of the fact, so that the Nooks and B&N servers "remain in sync" regarding the state of registration.  However, a "factory reset" does not require a wifi connection.

The previous owner may have done a "factory reset", in order to remove rooting, or perhaps because a wifi connection was not available.  That left it registered on the B&N servers.  At that point, if the previous owner had re-registered the Nook with the same user information, the B&N servers would have allowed registration, and the Nook and servers would have been in sync again.  At that point, an "erase and deregister" would have left the Nook and B&N servers in sync as well, and you would have been OK to re-register as a new user.  Or, if the previous owner had never done a "factory reset", you would also be OK.  However, most sellers don't want you to be able to buy eBooks etc on their account, so they do an "erase and deregister".  A "factory reset" is normally not necessary, but if it is done, it needs to be followed by a registration, followed by an "erase and deregister".

Unfortunately, none of this really helps you.  If you can get in contact with the previous owner and have him give you his B&N password (granted, unlikely), you can then register as him, then "erase and deregister.  Or, if he can contact B&N and verify to B&N's satisfaction that he is the prior owner, B&N can delete your Nook from his account.  You can understand (due to the possibility of stolen Nooks) that B&N is reluctant to do this without verification.

I have both bought and sold used Nooks.  When selling, I always make sure (like just yesterday) that the new owner can register the device before the transaction is complete.  Same when I buy a used Nook.  Of course, this usually means a face-to-face transaction.  I use Craigslist for these types of transactions; buying a Nook via eBay is fraught with a little risk in this regard.  Not because the owner is dishonest (that can happen as well), but because they don't understand the issues involved.

In one case, I bought a used Nook that have not been "erased and deregistered".  Before doing that, I noted the previous owner's eMail address (which you can see on the device info page), in case I needed it.  As it turns out, I did not, and the "erase and deregister" and reregistration when fine.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

How would we know that the device is not stolen?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

DeanGibson wrote:

Unfortunately, none of this really helps you.  If you can get in contact with the previous owner and have him give you his B&N password (granted, unlikely), you can then register as him, then "erase and deregister.  Or, if he can contact B&N and verify to B&N's satisfaction that he is the prior owner, B&N can delete your Nook from his account.  You can understand (due to the possibility of stolen Nooks) that B&N is reluctant to do this without verification.

Everything Dean says is 100% correct. If you can get in contact with the person you purchased from and get their name, email address, billing address, and the last 4 digits of their default CC (or have them call CS with said information), BN can remove the registration from their end. But outside of that we're not permitted to do so, under the worry that it may be a stolen device.

Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

Does this situation prohibit booting from an Android card?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

byter67 wrote:

Does this situation prohibit booting from an Android card?

Good question !!!  The answer is "No", but your question implies another:

If you have the Nook Android app installed on on the Android card and attempt to use it (or install CM7 on the Nook itself), the Nook Android app should work.

The lack of the device registration only affects booting and using the B&N firmware (whether or not rooted).