Contributor
GraciesGoneShopping
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Problem with my NOOK - Most Aggravating

Recently, (within the past month) I noticed that a segment of my NOOK appeared to be dead. This is most obvious while playing a game which is spread out all over the NOOK. I would go to tap something on one side of my NOOK, and absolutely nothing happened. My NOOK Tablet was a gift for Christmas in 2011. Since I've had my NT I've been disabled so I can say with some assurance that my NT has not seen near the action yours has. It, like me, is always home. So I was even more puzzled by this dead area. This thing has in no way been abused.

Then within a very short period of time the dead area started to spread. Now there is a pretty large section of my NT that is unusable.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know why I might be having this problem?

Thanks Folks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Re: Problem with my NOOK - Most Aggravating

Try giving it a good cleaning with a microfiber cloth or similar. The NOOK Tablet and Color do occasionally act up if the screen has a build-up of residue.

Contributor
GraciesGoneShopping
0 Kudos

It really didn't need it, but I've cleaned it with a microfiber cloth. I doubt if it looked this good brand new, but unfortunately it didn't help. Dead area is still there.
bobstro
0 Kudos

This sounds like a hardware problem If you've done a full power-off reset (long-press the power switch until the screen goes dead) then power it back on, I can only suggest dropping by a B&N or calling tech support. I'm sure they'll want you to do a full device reset, which can't hurt, but doesn't sound like a promising fix.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're out of warranty, so even if they determine you have a hardware problem, you probably won't get a replacement. They might, however, offer a discount on the already very cheap HD/+ devices that replaced the NOOK Tablet.

Contributor
GraciesGoneShopping
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, I believe you're probably right. I don't know why but I have a feeling there isn't an easy fix for this, and that's why I've hesitated for so long to ask. Yes, I have done a full power-off reset. I think I would really dislike a full device reset IF it is all I was told it would be. Please allow me to ask about that here: The information I was given is that when a full device reset is done, oftentimes you lose a lot of stuff along the way which B&N isn't responsible for replacing, like games (or apps), pictures, and anything else on your NOOK which you put there without assist from B&N. Can someone tell me what I can truly expect if I ever decide to go the route of a full device reset? You are also correct that I am out of warranty. Do you have some way of suspecting that they might offer me a discount on a replacement, like history with them or did you mention that more along the lines of wishful thinking?

If I go the route of a replacement, can someone tell me what to expect when you do that? What can be transferred from one to another? What might I have on my NOOK that there isn't a prayer of keeping and transferring? Anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Finally, I'm not very familiar with forums, and I see a lot around here that I'm not sure what to do with. For example, am I supposed to be marking this somehow so it sorts properly into a subject matter discussed? Or something under "Options" that I'm supposed to do? Should I go ahead and "Accept As Solution" or wait for some reason? Again anything you want to give me a heads up on would be helpful.

Contributor
GraciesGoneShopping
0 Kudos

Apparently, I've got too much in here and nobody wants to take on all my questions. Can somebody take a part of it for me and maybe somebody else will answer the rest?
bobstro

You will have to re-do any customization you've done. You'll have to reload books. Maybe reload sideloaded books. It's annoying, but not that big a deal. It's good to clean house now and then.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook

Any material you acquired from B&N will be recoverable by redownloading after you reregister - books, magazines, apps. Anything else (pictures, videos, sideloaded books, documents, etc) you put on the Nook not from B&N will be lost, so you need to make sure you have backed that stuff up before you deregister so you can sideload it after the reregister.  Also, any settings, scores or progress in any apps/games will be lost, as will shelves, and bookmarks in browsers, and I don't believe you can backup any of these things without rooting so those items will be truly gone.

Contributor
GraciesGoneShopping
0 Kudos

Many thanks to Bobstro and Petesnook for your comments. Doesn't 'sideloaded' just mean that it came from another source besides B&N? Of you got it somewhere else? Luckily, I don't have any of that. I've been afraid to try to download things not B&N for fear it would somehow mess up my NOOK, but if this one is going to be trash due to a screen problem, I may try downloading other things from other sources just to see how they work and if they will mess me up.
And BIG thanks for reminding me of my bookmarks! I've got a couple of things saved there that I'd be lost without. (I always thought there should be a way to quickly and easily transfer those to a computer or laptop. How many people while out and about with their NOOKS find something, make a shortcut to it while planning to do more with it when they get to their computers and find themselves retyping it letter by letter? That's such a pain when you have several of them, but according to Customer Service bookmarks and favorites cannot be transferred to computers or laptops. They really need to correct that.) Thanks Again!  :smileywink:

New User
BeckyBooks
0 Kudos

Hi. I'm having problems with my nook so was reading this post in hopes of finding a solution. No luck for me, but I did want to mention that if you find a site that you like, you can email yourself the link rather than typing it all out. I hope you were able to resolve the problem with your nook. :smileyhappy: