New User
gdbGB
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Quicker Charge from USB or O/S Error/Bug?

I have a NT running 1.4.1. (It hasn't updated itself though it has internet access). It is less than a week old, a new replacement. Before I connected it to the Windows 7 PC, it showed 75% battery charge. It was connected only long enough to transfer a single small PDF to MyFiles less than fiive minutes. I dismounted the hardware properly in the software before unplugging the NT from my PC. After I did that, I looked at the battery indicator and it showed 100% charged. Thinking it was a glitch of some sort, I powered the NT off and restarted it. The battery indicator still showed 100%. I have left it powered on and it seems to be discharging normally, but from the 100% rather than the 75% or so I expected.

Does anyone have an explantaion or a similar experiencce?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,951

Re: Quicker Charge from USB or O/S Error/Bug?

That's definitely not a quick charge - your NOOK actually pulls less power from a USB port than the wall.

Give it a day or two, and if it doesn't recalibrate it bring it into a BN store to have them do a factory fallback (or you can do it yourself if you're feeling adventurous).

Reader
gdavidbrown
0 Kudos

My Nook continued to operate as what appeared to be normal, i.e. it didn't show diminished battery life-before-recharge. I did take it in to BN as the battery app would report 100% charged, but the cable indicator remained orange, not switching to green to indicate a full charge. The in-store tech acknowledged the discrepancy. He said the battery app software is what tells the cable to change colors. He said he could not fix it. He didn't offer me a replacement.

I'm minimally frustrated because there *is* something wrong with my Nook, but it does not seem to affect my ability to use it. -shrugs- There should be a better outcome or fewer anomalies with the product.

New User
gdbGB
0 Kudos

Sorry for any confusion. Somehow I wound up with two accounts and was automagically signed in to the other. gdavidbrown (above) is me.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

Charging routine software malfunction

[ Edited ]
My NT has been running 1.42 upgrade with no problems since available for download. A few days ago, the charging routine and indicators stared displaying abnormal results. When the NT's USB cable is initially connected the lighted "N" on the cable end momentarily is green and then changes to yellow which is normal. The QUICK SETTINGS battery charge indicator goes from "Discharging" (seen under the horizontal bar graph of percent of charge) to "Not Charging". I left the USB cable connected over a period of time for the charge to indicate 100%. "CHARGING" is never displayed under the bar graph. The LED in the cable end does not change to green. I can use the NT for a duration that would lead me to believe that the battery had been fully charged. I' ve powered down completely and powered back up. The same problem occurs. I've held the N-button down and then held down the power button down until it went off. I power the NT back on; the same indications are displayed. Is there a solution to this power charging problem??
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Correspondent
Glitchster

Re: Charging routine software malfunction

After a a few month, I was re-reading some of my post. I thought this one needed a final word. A few days after posting this cable problem, it occurred to me this was a cable problem. The ground wire which also attaches to the cable-shield broke off from it's solder joint within the cable end that has the little "n" charging status LED. I replaced the cable. End of story.
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Glitchster.

It's so interesting to see all the issues the cables create. I wonder how many Nook returns and replacements were caused by the cable being faulty.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Thanks for the update Glitchster.

It's so interesting to see all the issues the cables create. I wonder how many Nook returns and replacements were caused by the cable being faulty.

Yet reasonably priced charging stations are not available. Hopefully the charging port won't change for a while and it will be worth it for someone to offer one. I would pay more for one that doesnt require use of your device cable and connector. Hmm, sounds like time for a suggestion post.:smileywink:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'll vote for that suggestion. I have all 4 Nook Tablets. With 2 charging ports (to share across all 4) I could get rid of a lot of wires and cables and a lot of headaches.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

I believe, if a coat of silicone caulk or glue around where the cable enters into the connector cover (with the little "n"), giving the assembly more strain relief, the cables might last longer.