Contributor
johnson01
0 Kudos

Quickoffice Lite

How do you find this app on the NT?  It came up when I went to open a sideloaded book and it had been my intention to register the app but inadvertantly hit the button for register later.  I want to register it so I'll be able to get the updates to the program.  Thanks

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Quickoffice Lite

johnson01

Quickoffice Pro is the App designed for the Nook Color and Tablet.  If you purchased the App (was $2.99) from the B&N App Store then all should be good.  If it is a side loaded version it will not contain all the functions built in to the Nook specific App.  I have been using Quickoffice for several months and find it the most useful App I have.  The file manager is worth the price (I paid $14.99 for Quickoffice Pro back in September)  Anyway, if you have not purchased the App that will provide a registered, correct version for your use.

New User
Curculio
0 Kudos

This response did not answer the question except by omission.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

How do you find it?

Perhaps I don't understand your question.

If you bought it from B&N, then just search 'QuickOffice' anywhere. Tap the N button to bring up menu, then tap search, then type in QuickOffice and search.

If you sideloaded it, then you would have to look at the files you've added in My Files section of the Library.

You could also plug your Nook into your PC and search your Nook to find it. Though the apk might not be named Quick Office.

New User
mabeldin
0 Kudos

It is my understanding that Quickoffice Lite comes with Nook tablet. But trying search, brings up nothing. I want to try QuickOffice lite to read a pdf file so I can highlight and/or book mark text.

Where is QuickOffice Lite? I opened the book using reader, now I get no other choice.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Quickoffice Lite comes preinstalled on the Nook.  It is a pdf reader only.  It does not appear as an app.   It's just kind of there.

When you go to open up a pdf, you should get the option to open with Quickoffice Lite or the Reader. Or if you have already purchased another pdf reader(s), they should show up in the list of options as well.  

Quickoffice Lite will NOT let you annotate pdfs.  For that you need to purchase ezpdf reader, Repligo Reader or Quickoffice Pro (there may be other ones available at this point.  These are the ones that have been around awhile.)   They each have their quirks, etc.  (But Quickoffice Pro does have some cool features built in --- like ability to email attachment and it served as a great file manager before there was an app available.)

If you have inadvertently checked the "use by default for this action" box, (i.e. the pdf file keeps opening with the reader, or you want to change the pdf app you want to open the file with), go to LIBRARY, then find your pdf file (wherever you saved in, on device or memory card.) Instead of tapping the file, give it a LONG press.  Six options should appear.  One of them is "Clear Default Launcher" (second from bottom.) You should still see your pdf file.  Tap it again.  Should now give you the option to open the file with the apps. 

Frequent Contributor
RedHeartFL
0 Kudos

Maybe I can help, although I'm a newby to the Nook and tablets in general.

You should be able to access it by Nook button - Apps.  If it doesn't show there, then it might be deleted somehow (which I doubt).  I've installed Quickbooks Pro and it seems to have overwritten the Lite version (which is good IMO).  It may come up automatically if you load a Microsoft Office document (like a Word document) if it's not deleted and somehow hidden in the system.  The reader for PDF files may or may not be part of the package... that I don't know, but a PDF reader is stock for the NT.

The first thing I put in my NT was the full version of QuickOffice, as I do need to edit things and type up things at times.  I wish that it would work with OpenOffice files, however... which is what I use (I abandoned Windows years ago and use Linux for most of my work).

Hope this helped...

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

RedHeartFL wrote:

Maybe I can help, although I'm a newby to the Nook and tablets in general.

You should be able to access it by Nook button - Apps.  If it doesn't show there, then it might be deleted somehow (which I doubt).  I've installed Quickbooks Pro and it seems to have overwritten the Lite version (which is good IMO).  It may come up automatically if you load a Microsoft Office document (like a Word document) if it's not deleted and somehow hidden in the system.  The reader for PDF files may or may not be part of the package... that I don't know, but a PDF reader is stock for the NT.

The first thing I put in my NT was the full version of QuickOffice, as I do need to edit things and type up things at times.  I wish that it would work with OpenOffice files, however... which is what I use (I abandoned Windows years ago and use Linux for most of my work).

Hope this helped...

Realize you are new and just trying to help.  So apologize right now if this comes across harsh as don't mean to but it sometimes happens on the interweb. :smileyhappy:

Quickoffice Lite is NOT a stand alone app that you can open by itself via the app drawer.  It is a built in pdf reader that you only see when you try to open up a pdf file.  It's "just there" the same way the ereader software is "just there" (ie opening up an epub book.)  Purchasing QuickOffice Pro doesn't override Quickoffice Lite.

Hit the "n" button, go to My Library, then "My Stuff", then "My Files" and open up a pdf file (one you haven't associated with a default method.)  You should see Quickoffice Lite as an option to open up your pdf. 

OT: Quickoffice Pro --- yes, it is a very good app.  Don't know if you have found these yet --- you can email attachments via Pro which is pretty useful at times.  Also serves as a pretty good file manager (for the first 9 or 10 months the app store was open, there wasn't a stand alone file manager app.  Pro was a good substitute.)

Again, apologize if this comes across as harsh as don't mean to. But misinformation doesn't help anyone.

Frequent Contributor
RedHeartFL
0 Kudos

The Lite opened text for reading, so it is more than for PDF.  Before I bought my Nook, I wanted to see if it would  -as new and without apps added- read a doc file.  No problem.  We tried a few other file types because I didn't want to buy something that couldn't be used to look at more than just books and magazines (and journal articles).  The person at our bookstore then showed me the Pro version which was my first app purchase (followed by ezPDF reader which was also demonstrated and suggested).

It's the standard difference between a full version and lite version... seen it many times.  Oh, and as I remember, QuickOffice was showing in the apps section before I installed the Pro version. 

On my NT, there is separate software for reading PDF files, and that came with the unit.  It's not part of Quickoffice Lite as far as I can tell.  Maybe the same company... granted.

I'm new to the Nook and tablets in general... old hat for computers and software (been programming and around computers since 1973).   I learned some Unix in the early 80s... and have been using Linux for the last 7.

No offense taken, btw.