Contributor
Inquisitive30
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

SD Card 32 gig questions

I have a question regarding purchasing a new SDHC 32 gig memory card.  Should it be class 10,6,4 or 2 or does it even matter other than class 10 is faster?  And what is with the advertisement of Dual boot.is this advantageous? Will I still have access to everything On my Nook Color or will I have to remove the card to get into certain items already loaded on the Nook Color?.  Will it actually boot into the alternate OS without prompting or can I get it set up to throw up a boot option menu before it chooses for me?  What is the recommended class of memory?

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card 32 gig questions

Hmmm, you're posting this in the Nook Tablet Forum and I guess you have a Nook Color. As for the speed, class 4 should be fine for the Nook Yes, it will boot into Android without prompting and do everything the stock Nook will do and more. It won't affect your original files at all and if you power off, pull the card and reboot, you'll be looking at the stock Nook just like it came out of the box. That way, your warranty won't be affected.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

The NT user guide says "...Class 6 microSDHC cards are supported..." which I think means Class 10 are not.  I could be wrong.  Has anybody tried a Class 10?

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

I'm using an AmazonBasics 32Gb class 10 card with no problems at all. It was a card I had in my camera and it worked so well, I kept it in the NT and ordered another for the camera..

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
ami_yaz
0 Kudos

PJLLB wrote:

The NT user guide says "...Class 6 microSDHC cards are supported..." which I think means Class 10 are not.  I could be wrong.  Has anybody tried a Class 10?

It would be my preference to puchase a Class 10 card, but I'm hesitant to make the investment until I receive confimation that the current NT is designed to support it (or will in the near future).  Most of the ones that I'm finding are either 4 or 10 and it would be my preference to opt to purchase the faster option available today.

Is this something that someone from B&N could confirm for us in the forum?

Contributor
ami_yaz

I wanted to inform the group that I called the B&N phone support line and after being bounced around to different departments, I finally found someone who was able to inform me that although the Class 10 cards will likely work with the NT, that it is not recommended.  They could not guarantee that the speed performance would be maximized with a Class 10 card and they stressed that the Class 6 cards would provide a greater compatibility.  I advised that since Class 4 or 10 are more readily available in the marketplace that at times the 10 is more affordable than a comparable 6, yet I was still advised that for maximum performance that a Class 6 with the NT would be the way to go.

Contributor
SuperCaffeinated
0 Kudos

If anyone could recommend a 32G class 6 micro I'd appreciated it. I've pretty much always used Kingston for memory, but they don't offer a C6 card.

I've had several bad SanDisk CF/SD cards in the past, so I'd prefer not to give them my business either.

Correspondent
SamSpade88

Personally I think anything above a Class 4 is a waste of money and speed as I have plenty of videos encoded at 2500kbps @ 1024 x600 and they look great, load great, and are smooth as silk. Perhaps this could change if I load apps or something but in my research before buying the Class 4 I just didn't see the need to bump it up higher. Here is the one I purchased: Transcend 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GUSDHC4E

Contributor
SuperCaffeinated
0 Kudos

Thanks :] I am looking for a card that handles video well, so your rec is spot on for me.

Price looks good too - will give Transcend a whirl.

Inspired Contributor
ChucklesTX
0 Kudos

SamSpade88 wrote:

Personally I think anything above a Class 4 is a waste of money and speed as I have plenty of videos encoded at 2500kbps @ 1024 x600 and they look great, load great, and are smooth as silk. Perhaps this could change if I load apps or something but in my research before buying the Class 4 I just didn't see the need to bump it up higher. Here is the one I purchased: Transcend 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GUSDHC4E

I agree.  I have two Nook Tablets and a Nook Color.  I put 16GB Class 4 San Disk cards in all of them.  They all work flawlessly.   I sideload a lot of video podcasts from the 'This Week in Tech' folks and they always play smoothly, inculding the HD ones.   There is no need to spend the extra $ for a class 6 card.   You usually can pick up a 16GB Class 4 card for under $20..

Chuck

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Charlene and I both have Class 10 cards, one Tablet and one Color.  Both operate without problems.  SD cards are tested then rated at one class below their "unstable" test rate.  So, a Class 10 card simply operated on the test bench at the highest I/O frequency.  If your device does not need the faster speed it just does not use it.  My opinion is that a person should by Class 10 because the cost differential between it and lower class cards is low and it is the most reliable.  Yes, I understand lower classed cards are also reliable; I said MOST reliable.