Distinguished Correspondent
Tom51
0 Kudos

Skype on Nook Tablet?

Does anyone know whether Skype works on Nook Tablet?  I don't need the calling or video feature of Skype for this device, but I need it for group IM and desktop sharing.

Frequent Contributor
ceeotters

Re: Skype on Nook Tablet?

I guess I don't understand Skype then. What's the point if you're not calling or videoing?

Inspired Contributor
theoak
0 Kudos

I don't think Skype is available for the NT yet. At least I haven't found it. If it was available, Desktop sharing seems to depend on video calling. So with no camera, I'm guessing you may not be able to do this. See this link:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/screen-sharing/

But there is an app that others have used called Splashtop Remote Desktop. This does not just show snapshots of your desktop, but actually lets you remotely control another computer.

For just chat, there is another Nook App (I have not tried it) called # 1 Chat Rooms. It is really designed as a safe chat room for kids, but may suit your needs if the people you chat with have NTs too.

*** He who dies with the most toys, still dies***
Tom51
0 Kudos

theoak wrote:

I don't think Skype is available for the NT yet. At least I haven't found it. If it was available, Desktop sharing seems to depend on video calling. So with no camera, I'm guessing you may not be able to do this. See this link:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/screen-sharing/

But there is an app that others have used called Splashtop Remote Desktop. This does not just show snapshots of your desktop, but actually lets you remotely control another computer.

For just chat, there is another Nook App (I have not tried it) called # 1 Chat Rooms. It is really designed as a safe chat room for kids, but may suit your needs if the people you chat with have NTs too.

Thank you for your recommendations for other apps.  Due to Skype's free IP calling feature, it's very popular among internet users who use its desktop sharing feature as a free 'Webex' substitute.  And that's how I need it for.

I've never done desktop sharing from a computer without a video camera, however I believe video call is not a requirement for sharing.  I did desktop sharing many times with audio calls, and I always assume the reason for the audio call is to provide the "connection" between parties.

Inspired Contributor
theoak
0 Kudos

I have no experience with Skype desktop sharing, I was only going by their instructions on the page I linked to, Their instructions say:

1. Download Skype

Download the latest version of Skype.

2. Make a video call

Call one of your contacts.

3. Share your screen

Click the Share button in the call window.

Hope you get a way to do what you want from your NT. It is an amazingly versatile device, but often requires workarounds.

*** He who dies with the most toys, still dies***
Tom51
0 Kudos

I found the Android installation from its website, but it needs to have Android Market account (device?) to download and install.  I have no clue how to do this, so I'm stuck right now :-(

New User
Drafell

If you are willing to mess about with 'rooting' you tablet, you can run Skype for the IM capability.

I would only recommend this for the tech savvy as there is a chance the rooting process coudl cause problems with the tablet.

That said, I have done it and Skype works fine except I can't make calls.

No biggy.

Frequent Contributor
MarvinQ
0 Kudos

So skype is avalaible for the android market?

Kinda sucks without being able to make calls and obviously no video but for the IM it would be pretty neat idea.

Reader
ErnestSewell
0 Kudos

Work around indeed since NT doesn't have a camera for video calls.

Reader
ErnestSewell
0 Kudos

Yes Skype is available in the Android market.  It's on my Sprint HTC 4G phone.  But don't search for it or anything.  Too easy.  :manfrustrated:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Nook Tablet has a Mic. So you could, in theory, do voice calls.

IM would work if you would be able to install it.

File exchange doesn't need audio. I've done it on chat lots of times (but on PC). I'm not sure how file transfer would work on Nook. Probably ask you how you want to open the file if it's a PDF or text file.

You would have to root and then install Skype. Not sure it's worth the hassle.

New User
Jackstarchitect
0 Kudos

My old PSP had skype and it obviously had no camera.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Your time machine is out of calibration. The thread you are responding to died in 2012.