Contributor
Coliope
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Storage (memory) Questions

I have the 8 GB Tablet. "Device Info" tells me I have 2 GB for content purchased from B&N and 4 GB for "other content - "side-loaded" content I assume. (I have no idea where the other 2GB of the advertised 8 is.) I got the message tonight while trying to update apps that the 2 GB for B&N content is full. I can't for the life of me understand why B&N would so limit the amount of built-in storage for content purchased from them, that's quite a deterrant to spending your money in their Shop! Anyhows, if I buy a memory card, can I add more B&N content or is 2GB the limit for that no matter? :smileysad: When I get a memory card (which I will do soon), what happens when I go to download an app or a book/magazine from the Shop? I have many questions on this topic but will stop there for now. I love my Nook but do wish there was better detailed information on specifics on using it, without having to find and browse help forums. Thankyou.
Contributor
Coliope
0 Kudos

Re: Storage (memory) Questions

Sorry about the run-on post, I typed it from my Nook and apparently it doesn't recognize paragrapgh spacing.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

1) You can go to a store and have the device repartitioned. So there's more space for you.

2) The decision to create partitions wasn't a smart one. However, they made the sideloading partition big so that you could add your photos and music.

So they actually tried to do a good thing for customers.

3) 2 GB goes to Operating System and updates etc.

4) 2 GB is the limit even with SD Card. You can go to store and get it repartitioned and then allocate 4 or 5 GB to Shop content and use SD Card for your own content.

5) Shop stuff is ALWAYS downloaded only to Nook. Never to SD Card. Some Apps after installation require more space for data - they might sometimes give you option to save to SD Card. However, that's rare. 99% of the time it'll be to your Nook.

There's a Help Page - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184

Wordsmith
Melissa19

There is no repartition for the 8GB available in the store. We only have a NC repartition for the original NC's to add more room for apps and a NT 16GB repartition to add 4GB space for side loaded content. I never recommended the 8GB NT for heavy app users (apps can not be moved to SD) This device came out last January to compete on price with the KF. But I agree, 2GB BN space on a tablet with apps is not enough. They need a repartition for the 8GB. I am suprised more customers haven't come in with this issue.
Melissa19
New User
TERRI-S
0 Kudos

So if I understand you correctly, when I download apps or books or whatever, once my system is full, I cannot move them to the SD card for storage ?  If you read the fine print on the info sheet about the Nook Tablet, think number 7, it does state about the SD card for personal files.  So why exactly would they even offer the additional storage option if they are not letting you save what you've purchased?  Do you thus, have to delete books or apps from your system in order to gain more space? 

I've been reading reviews on mlt sites including this one and this is the conclusion I am coming to.  That doesn't seem like such a great feature when they are boasting this as a table/e-reader...still very wary on purchasing and investigating further...Thanks for your info.  It has been very helpful.:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Coliope
0 Kudos

Thankyou Melissa and Fivedom for your responses though I find the info quite distressing.

The B&N FAQs (per the link given above) say:

NOOK Tablet 8GB will display 1GB for B&N content and 4GB for personal content. NOOK Tablet 16GB will display 12GB for B&N content and 1GB for personal content or 5GB for B&N content and 8GB for personal content if you have your device internal memory re-configured at a local Barnes & Noble.

I got the Nook Color in mid-February (V-day present actually) purchased from Walmart. I took it to the B&N store to buy a cover for it and there they told me the newer/better Tablets had just been price reduced, so I could get the 8 GB Tablet for the same price we had just paid for the Color. So I returned the color to Walmart and went right back to B&N to get the Tablet, where they then said for approx. $50 more I could get the 16GB Tablet instead of the 8GB one. Since both take a memory card I saw no reason to pay the extra $50 for the 16 GB one. If they had explained to me about the limits for B&N content I absolutely without a doubt would have paid the extra $50 for the 16 GB one. HUGE difference between 2GB and 12 GB!

The staff at the local B&N store has always been pleasant and very helpful when I've gone in there for anything regarding the Nook but this, this is a total lapse of, of I don't know what to call it, customer assistance salesmanship. This was the most important thing they could have told me about the difference between the 8 and 16 yet it was never mentioned. I am totally bummed right now.

I pretty much assumed when I posted that apps would have to go in the B&N content area, but I was also assuming that with a memory card, I would get an option when downloading books/mags as to whether I wanted them to go to the card or to the on-board storage.I also assumed that with a memory card, I could then move already-downloaded books from the on-board memory to the card.  But after reading your responses it seems I am forever stuck with only 2 GB of space - that is already maxed out after 9 months of use - for anything, apps or books, purchased from the B&N Shop on the Nook. That's just ridiculous, why would B&N shoot themselves in the foot like that? They've made it so I can't purchase anything from their Shop anymore. I just don't get it.

I know you can Archive things (I've already Archived half a dozen books) and re-download them again at any time, but what good is that? Being maxed out now, anytime I want to buy a new app or book, I'll need to archive something else to make room for it, then if I want to use an app I've already archived (and of course I want to use it or I wouldn't have bought it to begin with), I'd have to archive yet something else to make room for the app (or book) I want to un-archive.  Senseless.

So not happy right now. But thankyou again for the resposnes.

Contributor
Coliope
0 Kudos

P.S.

Does anyone have a link that explains where to find e-books outside of the B&N Shop, and how to get them onto the device?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, the later Nooks try to hide everything.

On the original (First Edition), when connected to a computer via USB, all B&N downloaded content was visible, and could easily be backed-up on the computer, and/or moved to an SD card. Easily by method, but not by names -- the content only shows by an ISBN type number so figuring out what was what required a programmer's text editor to open and scan files for titles -- or use the creation date of the file on memory.

Content so moved appeared in the "My Files" (or "My Documents"?) view of the Nook, and NOT in the regular "Library" listing.

On the newer devices, I suspect one would have to install the computer Nook application, download the books to the computer, THEN "side-load" them into the SD card.

Biggest problem (based upon the HD+, don't know if the Nooks between the first edition and the HD series act the same) is that (from one small test) such side-loaded books still show up in the "library" -- as duplicates of the original downloaded and hidden copy. And Archiving probably hides it from the computer applications too (so you'd likely want to back-up the computer files before archiving). The HD series do not have an Archive option internal -- they have "Move to Cloud" which unloads the book content, but leaves the cover and details in the Library (so you'd now have a copy with the "cloud" download icon, and a copy from the side-load).

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

If they are not under DRM protection, just copy them over the USB connection to either the SD card or the internal memory -- under "My Files" (or whatever) or maybe under a "Books" directory if the device created a public such area.
Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Coliope wrote:
I have the 8 GB Tablet. "Device Info" tells me I have 2 GB for content purchased from B&N and 4 GB for "other content - "side-loaded" content I assume. (I have no idea where the other 2GB of the advertised 8 is.) I got the message tonight while trying to update apps that the 2 GB for B&N content is full. I can't for the life of me understand why B&N would so limit the amount of built-in storage for content purchased from them, that's quite a deterrant to spending your money in their Shop! Anyhows, if I buy a memory card, can I add more B&N content or is 2GB the limit for that no matter? :smileysad: When I get a memory card (which I will do soon), what happens when I go to download an app or a book/magazine from the Shop? I have many questions on this topic but will stop there for now. I love my Nook but do wish there was better detailed information on specifics on using it, without having to find and browse help forums. Thankyou.

Because different people are using these devices very differently.  Some buy a lot from B&N, some archive a lot, and some want the ability to sideload a lot of photos/music/videos to their devices as well, etc.  So basically, B&N guessed at what amount of B&N content this size device would be most optimal for "most" users and went with 25% B&N content, 50% sideloaded, and 25% for the OS. (Though it does suprise me that they don't have the ability to change this % in the store.)

Do you have a PC or a Mac?  If so, one idea would be to install the Nook for PC program on your computer.  You could approach it a few different ways. 

• Either download and then sideload ALL your books to the NT.  Then archive everything off the NT to free up some memory (though this won't work for apps, it should free up some memory.) 
  • Or download and sideload everything you've already read, keeping only current titles available.  This would give you the ability to sync what you're currently reading across devices.  But still give you access to books you've already purchased/read. (Though I think you lose highlights and bookmarks when you sideload.) 

Another idea would be to google Calibre and learn how to manage your book purchases that way.  Hope that helps.

Contributor
Coliope
0 Kudos

Because different people are using these devices very differently.  Some buy a lot from B&N, some archive a lot, and some want the ability to sideload a lot of photos/music/videos to their devices as well, etc.  So basically, B&N guessed at what amount of B&N content this size device would be most optimal for "most" users and went with 25% B&N content, 50% sideloaded, and 25% for the OS.

It just seems to me that since memory cards provide unlimited amount of storage for music/pics/video, the built-in storage ought to be soley for the B&N things that haveto be stored there.

Do you have a PC or a Mac?  If so, one idea would be to install the Nook for PC program on your computer.  You could approach it a few different ways.

I do have the Nook for PC program installed - I installed it months ago - but I don't think it is working properly. I get several error messages when starting the program that I need to X away before it opens, and it isn't totally in sync with my Nook. One of the books that is definitely archived on the Nook does not show as being archived on the PC program, even though I have done the refresh/sync option several times.

Also, when I choose the "download" option, yes I can then read the item on the computer, but I see no way of finding and copying that file from the computer to a memory card or to the Nooks built-in storage for personal files. The User Guide in the program is nothing but an advertisement for the program, it explains nothing about actually using the program.

I think later today I will uninstall it and re-install it and see what happnes. But then I'll need a tute on where on my computer to find the book files to copy. I wish I had known about this limit before buying or I would have gone with the 16 GB one but it's the type of thing one can't even know to ask about. Who would think that 8 GB actually means only 2 for Shop downloads? Grrr.

Thankyou, I'm off to find out about the Calibre program you mentioned.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

On the computer, look for a directory named with your registration email address (I'm not near my system to check the full name): My Documents\user@I.s.p_books (or similar). The downloaded books should be inside that.
Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

At the computer: My Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\user@ISP

Baron Wulfraed