Contributor
Herky
0 Kudos

Unexpected shut downs. Apps not staying installed. Home screen configuration reversion.

All of these started happening at once on two-month old Nook tablet: Unexpected shut downs. Apps not staying installed. Home screen configuration reversion.

While using the Nook in any variety of activities, web browsing, listening to Pandora, reading news with Pulse RSS reader or reading with the native book reader, the Nook Tablet will go blank. It appears as if it has just powered off. The horseshoe button and screen touches cause no response. Power has never been less than 75% and was often within minutes of a full charge when this happens.

It has got to the point where I can operate the Nook no more than four or five minutes before this happens. It's now consistent. Attempting to restart the Nook with the power button takes several presses, and even then, power up often stall as the start up screen itself locks up.

After getting the Nook powered up again, it has reverted to an old state where several previously installed apps are shown to have been downloaded, but not installed, requiring re-installation and re-configuration. I've done this with several apps a dozen times now and each time the Nook is restarted, the apps are again shown to be downloaded but not installed.

Additionally, when restarted, the Nook has reverted to an older home screen configuration, one with older wallpaper and missing app icons. I will reconfigure the home screen, choosing a new wallpaper and adding app icons to it, but when the unexpected shut-off occurs, followed by the problematic restart, the home screen has not saved the wallpaper or new icons.

This looks bad to me, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Contributor
adag87
0 Kudos

Re: Unexpected shut downs. Apps not staying installed. Home screen configuration reversion.

Herky,

1) I would try a factory reset.  Hold down the power button for up to 1 minute and allow the screen to go completely black. Do not press "power off" when the prompt occurs.  After the device is powered completely off, hold down the navigation button ("n" at the bottom of the screen) and power it back on while holding the navigation button.  This should prompt a factory reset. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR E-MAIL AND PASSWORD before doing this, as you will need them to register the device and download your library again.

2)  Should a factory reset not work, call 1-800-THE-BOOK.  Explain this problem to them.  I would explain that you have done a soft reset and a factory reset with no luck.  Your device may need to be replaced.

I hope this helps!

-adag87

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairytale." -Hans Christian Andersen
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Unexpected shut downs. Apps not staying installed. Home screen configuration reversion.

I would recommend trying a soft reset first (prior to full factory reset.)  Soft reset by:

"1. Press and hold the power botton for 20 seconds, then release the power button.

2. Press the power button again for 2 seconds to turn on your NOOK."

Then see if all apps downloaded. (or redownload as needed.)  Then be sure to sync your library.  (Fact that apps are needing to be reinstalled, seems like it is doing some kind of reset on you.)  If that doesn't work, THEN try a factory reset. (Make sure any sideloaded content is backed up first though.)

Reader
JBX125
0 Kudos

My Tablet did the same thing.  After fighting this for over 2 weeks, and still unable to download my previously purchased books/apps without the device rebooting and going back to a previous configuration, I called today and they are replacing my Tablet.  I also tried to load the new 1.4.2 software update and it would not install.  When I tried to deregister & erasemy Tablet, it wouldn't work. A factory reset also would not work.  The Help Desk folks are going to have to manually erase it for me. Hopefully the new Tablet will not have the same issues.  :smileysad:

Contributor
Herky
0 Kudos

Folks,

Thanks for the fast and detailed suggestions. I had tried the soft reset to no avail. I was not aware of the proceedure to do a factory reset as adag97 suggests above, so I brought the Nook back to the local store, where they decided to replace it. So I am a satisfied customer, but I am curious to know if the factory reset would have worked, just for the sake of saving my other configurations and not having B&N waste a Nook (although, kudos to them for not making me jump through a lot of hoops or unnecesssary delays).

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Erase and deregister restores to factory settings.  I think just restoring to factory settings will  make you reinstall all your apps and other configurations as well.  Is that what you wanted to know?