Contributor
librarydancer
0 Kudos

Using Nook Tablet wifi overseas

Will the wifi option work overseas as an internet browser? There will be places that have free wifi, and I was hoping to use the Nook for my web searching and tourist information. Thanks. Michelle
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Using Nook Tablet wifi overseas

Yes.

Nook Tablet doesn't work with dual band and it has problems with n protocol. However, a, b, g WiFi and 2.5 KHz band will work fine. Anywhere in the world.

Most networks will be on a b or g so you should be fine.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

"A"protocol is 5GHz. "B" and "G" are 2.4GHz. ("N" is available on both, but most areas have too much interference for it to work on 2.4)

One complication: Europe has two extra 2.4GHz channels that are not active on US devices. If the hotspot is using one of those channels you likely will not be able to connect.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Yes.

Nook Tablet doesn't work with dual band and it has problems with n protocol. However, a, b, g WiFi and 2.5 KHz band will work fine. Anywhere in the world.

Most networks will be on a b or g so you should be fine.

The NT works just fine with dual band routers, it just doesn't see the 5GHz band.  It will connect with the 2.4GHz band of a dual band router under all the same conditions that will let it connect to any single-band 2.4GHz router.

Correspondent
Joe05

Took my NT and my wife's NC to Bulgaria and toured what was Yugoslavia last year and both units worked just fine. As a matter of fact I even bought some books via the wifi while in Sofia....