Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Video Support on the Nook Tablet (MKV in particular)

The specifications for the Nook Tablet indicates that it supports MKV files. Well, I put a .mkv file on my SD card and the Nook Tablet does not recognize it. I attempted to rename the file to .mp4 which forced the Tablet to open the file in the media player (hey, VLC is smart enough to ignore the file extension and look at the content), but this was also unsuccessful.

Is this an oversight in the Nook Tablet software? What is the actual list of supported video types?

Frequent Contributor
Oogler
0 Kudos

Re: Video Support on the Nook Tablet (MKV in particular)

From the Nook features section of the site:

• Load EPUB (including Adobe DRM or DRM free) or PDF file types from your computer or microSD card
  • Other documents: XLS, DOC, PPT, TXT, DOCM, XLSM, PPTM, PPSX, PPSM, DOCX, XLX, PPTX
  • Watch videos in MP4, or Adobe Flash Player format, 3GP, 3G2 MKV, WEBM (Video Codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VP8)
  • Load photos and create personal wallpaper: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Play audio on built-in mono speaker: MP3, MP4, AAC, AMR, WAV, OGG (Audio Codecs MP3, AAC, AMR, LPCM, OGG Vorbis) 

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

Yes, but it doesn't actually accept the .mkv files I copied over.

New User
slo_Gap
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. Side-loaded MxPlayer and it played my mkv file fine.

Reader 4
esp2000
0 Kudos

Where did you find the standalone app for mxplayer from? I am trying to find it outside of the android market and not having much luck.

New User
slo_Gap
0 Kudos

You can find it in this forum along with a bunch of other apks.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1353040

New User
UnhappyWithTablet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's the text from my Chat conversation with NOOK support:

9:36:37 AM : Michaela: Hi! Thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support.

9:36:44 AM : G: Hello

9:36:54 AM : G: Why isn't my Tablet able to play MKV files? Also, how do I get the Media Player to display sub-titles or change Audio tracks in a video file (MP4)?

9:37:22 AM : Michaela: Let me help you with your concern. As I understand, you were having problem with your music files. Is that right?

9:37:22 AM : G: The specs say MKV is supported, but none of the MKV files I try to play from my SD card work.

9:37:31 AM : G: no, video files

9:39:42 AM : G: hello?

9:41:38 AM : Michaela: Sorry to keep you waiting, G. If MKV does not work, I may suggest to convert it to MP4.

9:42:10 AM : G: But your specs say MKV is supported!

9:42:18 AM : G: So are the specs wrong?

9:43:21 AM : G: Okay, so let's say I do convert to MP4, how can I get the Tablet to display sub-titles and change the audio track on my MP4 file?

9:45:53 AM : Michaela: Ok, G. We support MKV files, we need to consider the MKV files resolution should be 800x600 or below. The substitle needs to be embedded on the video files.

9:46:41 AM : G: my MKV files are 640x480, smaller than the 800x600...

9:49:14 AM : Michaela: Ok, G. When you play the video, what is the error message?

9:51:40 AM : G: hold on for a second

9:52:06 AM : Michaela: Sure, G.

9:53:07 AM : G: "This NOOK cannot read this file. It may be an unsupported format."

9:54:11 AM : Michaela: Ok, G. May I suggest to convert it to MP4.

9:54:21 AM : Michaela: Thank you for the information, G.

9:54:43 AM : G: I suppose I will have to convert my files, but I think your MKV support specs are not correct

9:55:18 AM : G: At least your FAQ should have more detailed information about your video support

9:55:37 AM : G: not all formats will support 720p or 1080p resolutions

9:56:03 AM : Michaela: Ok, G. We will take note of this feedback and forward it to the management. We really appreciate it.

9:56:04 AM : G: and if your MKV support requires a specific resolution setting (800x600), this should be made clear

9:56:16 AM : System: Kurt has joined this session!

9:56:28 AM : G: hi Kurt

9:57:51 AM : G: Michaela, thank you for taking the time to speak with me. Overall, though, I'd say I'm a little disappointed with the Tablet so far in that the online specs and FAQ specs do not present the full picture of the video formatting that is supported and playable on the Tablet

9:58:19 AM : G: correction, make that very disappointed with the FAQ/Specs

9:58:31 AM : G: but the functionality as a reader is fine

9:58:51 AM : Michaela: Ok, G. Is there anything else I can help you with?

9:59:18 AM : G: I think I'm good for now

9:59:29 AM : Michaela: Thanks once again for joining the Barnes & Noble Chat.

9:59:35 AM : Michaela: Have a nice day!

9:59:40 AM : G: Please do see that the online information for the Tablet is corrected, though

9:59:50 AM : G: have a good day also

9:59:53 AM : G: bye

10:00:06 AM : Michaela: Bye, G.

10:00:10 AM : System: The session has ended!

So, I'm thinking the Tablet doesn't REALLY support MKV... =(

Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

Not sure if this is a different format than what you were trying but I see the specs show this:  3G2 MKV

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Looks like the moderators on these forums need some help. Quite a few spam links all of a sudden.

New User
LuckyDay

I know this thread is super old, but because it's one of the higher hits on google I'm responding to it.

MKV is a container type.  Not a codec type.

A container is a type of file, the nook tablet can recognize that it's a video file.

But the video contained within the MKV must be made using a codec that the Nook supports (stated in the features as  "Video Codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VP8"

If you try to play an MKV file and it doesn't play, it was not made using one of these codecs.

The same thing can happen with any other videos that Nook recognizes.