Contributor
wilkemom3
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Video Won't Play on Nook Tablet

I downloaded a short video onto my laptop and it is in the MP4 format.  I transferred the video onto my Nook and each time I try to watch the video, I get the error message, "sorry, this video cannot be played".  Any ideas on WHY this won't play.  I have a few other videos on my Nook that work just fine.  How frusterating!

Candy

Inspired Contributor
CriticalReception

Re: Video Won't Play on Nook Tablet

I would download a free converter and try re-converting the file into mp4 format. Sometimes a file may appear to be a certain format, but really isn't. Give that a shot first and let me know if that works. 

Contributor
wilkemom3
0 Kudos

I've downloaded the video from a third party source and it says it's already in the MP4 format.  Can I still try to re-convert the video?  I've never converted files before, so I'm kinda lost.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nook supports .mp4. So it should play. Chances are there is some problem with the file.

I can think of 3 things

1) Problem in the download. In which case you will have to redownload.

2) [Most Likely] Problem in file format and it isn't .mp4. The suggestion above is what you should do. Download a free video conversion software and convert from .mp4 to another format that Nook supports and then try to play.

3) Something wrong in the file itself. Does the file play fine on your PC  or Mac?

These are the video formats Nook supports:

Video Formats .3GP, .MP4, .3G2, .FLV
Contributor
wilkemom3

I wanted to provide an update...

I finally downloaded HandBrake, a free video converter.  It eas easy to download and install.  I first tried converting a video that I knew for sure was NOT in the MP4 format and it worked.  Then I tried converting a video that said it was in the MP4 format, but would not work on my Nook tablet.  Converted, transferred it to my Nook and it played like a charm.  So, thank you for suggesting to try reconverting the file, because clearly there was something wrong with it.  So far I've only converted 2 videos, but I'm going to next tackle converting a DVD to see how well it works. 

Thanks for the help!

Contributor
oneadem
0 Kudos

Excellent!  HandBrake did the trick!

For some reason, every single video I converted to an MP4 using an excellent ripping/conversion package wouldn't play on my Nook Tablet. RE-converting from MP4-MP4 using HandBrake worked every time.

Thanks much for the tip :-)

New User
DrG51
0 Kudos

None of this worked for me.  I firsted used convertlite, then downloaded handbrake and used it.  the movies will still not play on my Nook color.  I saw some posts about upgrading to Adobe Flash Player 10.2, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.  I keep getting Google play and they say Ihave no device.  What's next? 

Contributor
GregP524
0 Kudos

I'm having this problem with Flixster/ultravilot. I got The Dark Knight Rises for Christmas and it came with UV copy. I logged in to Flixster and got my copy. Today I decide to play around with the flixster app on my Nook Tabletand it says I can download a copy of the film. I have a 32g microsd card so I download it. I see the filedownloading but when I find it on the SD card (no easy task since in its own right as the file is buried and is just a number sequence, but thats another thread) it says that file cannot be played. Why is that? It is a .mp4 format direct from my UV account.
New User
Pererin
0 Kudos

A more probable explanation is what I found when converting DVD to MP4. Your video convertor must be set to a 2 channel sound output (i.e. stereo) and not to a 6 channel sound out (i.e. 5.1).

I found that my ripped dvds as MP4 did not play in Nook HD+ with the error message "Cannot play video at the moment" when MP4 has six sound channels.

However, when ripped and converted to MP4 with 2 sound channels it worked ok.

This is counter intuitive since the Nook HD+ is supposed to output via a HDMI to a TV which could mislead someone to believe it supports 5.1

New User
Force95b
0 Kudos

I figured I'd try replying on this thread before starting another, see if I get the help. I have a Nook Color, about 3 days ago it stopped playing Netflix videos. When I checked to see if I could watch videos via the Web, it says "sorry, video can't be played at this time". I have no clue as to what has happened, I've got the latest software update for the Nook. I don't know what all this file converting in the above comments is all about. My Nook has always played video's, up to this point. I'm hoping that someone can direct me to the right place to correct this problem. Thanks in advance for your time.