Contributor
her-hd
0 Kudos

Virus Protection

Is there anything available for the Nook like Norton etc.?
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Virus Protection

Not that I have heard of...

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

As long as you are not rooted you should be OK. I think the apps from BN are clean and that also lessens the threat.

Frequent Contributor
COBHC
0 Kudos

no there is not but dont worry is very difficult that your nook can get infected

my hate is constant and sharp and i do not hope for a better world for anyone in fact i want my pain to be inflicted on others
Reader
maddoxmom
0 Kudos

Im confused, could we not obtain a virus by opening a possibly infected email?
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

maddoxmom wrote:
Im confused, could we not obtain a virus by opening a possibly infected email?

if I'm not mistaken, viruses are operating system targeted. More viruses are targeted to windows PCs than other OS. So unless the virus was targeting Android, I would suspect there wouldn't be a problem. But definitely could be mistaken on this so don't take this as a definitive answer.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

There are antivirus programs for Android, but unless they're added to the Nook app store (or you're dual booting off an SD card into Android, or rooted) you can't get them as they are available in the Google Play Store.  The very closed architecture of the NT OS probably makes the virus risk very low

Correspondent
Purple_Ice
0 Kudos

You can get virus from email or visiting a site that has a virus.
New User
abbey_stark
0 Kudos

Nope. The virus would only affect NOOK if it were written to attack the Android NT software the NOOK uses. A virus written for Windows wouldn't be able to run on NOOK.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

There's AVG Anti-Virus available now. There is lots and lots of malware that affects Android. Changes go up a lot if you sideload from other stores.

A report came out just yesterday that 9 million Android devices got infected with something called the 'Bad News' malware via Android Apps.

Google DOES NOT TEST apps in the play store. So it's very easy for unethical people to package a malware with a free app and get to lots of users.

Here: http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/20/newly-discovered-android-malware-was-downloaded-millions-of-times/

Inspired Contributor
lotsahelp
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

As long as you are not rooted you should be OK. I think the apps from BN are clean and that also lessens the threat.

I am giving serious consideration to rooting my nook later this year, with lack of google play and limited further B&N updates in future for tablet I am trying to think longterm. I am curious about this statement. If I root do I need to do something to protect against viruses??

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Yes.

How can a virus get in? If an app has one. When will an app have a virus? If it hasn't been checked.

Nook Store - checks for viruses.

Kindle Fire Store - checks for viruses.

Google Play Store - doesn't check. Anyone can publish. Google is REACTIVE not proactive. So if people complain then it removes apps.

There was a 'Bad News' virus or malware that recently infected tens of millions of Android devices through apps that had it.

So once you switch to Google Play Store you should have some anti-virus and anti-malware software.