Distinguished Correspondent
AdamOutler

Where are the app development tools for the Nook Store?

[ Edited ]

Firmware Update 1.4.1 removed side-loading, and Android Debug Bridge(ADB). I can't figure out how to develop an app for the Nook tablet. How can I develop apps without ADB?   It seems to me the basic tools to enhance the Nook Store are not available for use.  What do I do?

Now that it's open, I think I like this Nook Tablet.
New User
caitpoo

Re: Where are the app development tools for the Nook Store?

With so few apps on their store, B&N should encourage more developers not lock them out.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
AdamOutler

[ Edited ]

Please, inform me how I can simulate user experience with a mouse,  a virtual device which has a broken N button, and none of the Nook apps or intents   ....Because as far as I can tell, this is NOT a nook emulator, it's something else.

Also, clicking with a mouse is not the way anyone would use the apps. 

I'd appreciate it if someone would put some serious thought into where the market is going on the Barnes and Noble store, because this is not how to develop apps at all. A real emulator would be helpful, but even still, the user experience changes completely when a device is in-hand...  They removed that ability in 1.4.1

Now that it's open, I think I like this Nook Tablet.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Adam,

the user experience changes completely when a device is in-hand... They removed that ability in 1.4.1 <

You sure do get around.  :smileyhappy:  I agree that an emulator is not an adequate tool.  I had that particular discussion with B&N way back in January.  They resolved it in April.

As I've already mentioned elsewhere, that ability is still there, for those who have obtained Qualified NookApp Developer status.

- Mark

Contributor
albertwertz

i concur, I love the tablet but dont want to be locked down. 

Reader 2
lscotte

As I've already mentioned elsewhere, that ability is still there, for those who have obtained Qualified NookApp Developer status.

One of the reasons there are so many android apps is because the platform is open and available. Very few developers are going to bother with obtaining "Qualified NookApp Developer status" to 'port' their existing android apps to the nook. Let's not delude ourselves - being that 90+% of all android apps will already work unmodified, the Nook Tablet could already have hundreds of thousands of apps, rather than the measly few that exist right now - the Nook ecosystem simply isn't large enough to support it's own way of doing things. Sure, Barnes and Noble wants a chunk of the proceeds, so just look how well Amazon did that with the Amazon AppStore - it wasn't by alientating all the users and developers and making things difficult (although they are following suit on the Fire, but that's a different story). Barnes and Noble will not succeed in this effort of pretending that a NookApp is somehow different than a vanilla Android App - we're much smarter than that.

New User
TheJoe90
0 Kudos

As the resident Tech Geek in my family, place of work, vehicle club, and airsofting group (Well ok, one of three in the Airsoft group.)  I find the lack of support for the devolopers a little bit.... Well... Insulting.

I know B&N wants to make money, no one faults them for this.  They are a coperation and they have released a great device that should make them unbelievably large amounts of money. 

When I started lookjing for a tablet for myself and a second one for my Grand Father.  He suggested the Kindle Fire, and my first thought was, "Evil locked down device that I wouldnt touch".  I did some looking into inexpensive tablets and on each one, I consulted the developers forums for my info on which were good devices and which were garbage.

Grand pa wants to spend $250 on the NT next week, but I am feeling forced to tell him that he would be better with the NC instead.  A slower, inferior device due to the lack of B&N supporting the Dev and the Geeks. 

If B&N can show just a bit of love to the Dev community, they would have the perfect tablet.  They would be able to still make a ton of money, and maintain the brand loyalty they got with the NC.  Otherwise, I will be buying a kindle fire and cursing the lack of expandable memory, but knowing its the lesser of the two evils. 

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

lscotte commented:

> Very few developers are going to bother with obtaining "Qualified NookApp Developer status" to 'port' their existing android apps to the nook. <

That's not only obviously true, it's proven by the # of different developers with products in the Nook shop.

> Let's not delude ourselves - being that 90+% of all android apps will already work unmodified, the Nook Tablet could already have hundreds of thousands of apps, rather than the measly few that exist right now - the Nook ecosystem simply isn't large enough to support it's own way of doing things. <

I agree with you that the potential is definitely there.  But getting devs to make the effort to 'qualify' and gain access to the platform is only one bottleneck.  B&N has (allocated) limited resources... even for vetting devs, much less apps, so you'd still be squeezing a camel through the eye of a needle.  Even if there were a flood of apps being submitted, which there are not.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

TheJoe90 appeared out of nowhere to comment:

> Grand pa wants to spend $250 on the NT next week, but I am feeling forced to tell him that he would be better with the NC instead. 

If B&N can show just a bit of love to the Dev community, they would have the perfect tablet. They would be able to still make a ton of money, and maintain the brand loyalty they got with the NC. Otherwise, I will be buying a kindle fire and cursing the lack of expandable memory... <

??? What happened to the NC?

- Mark