Reader 2
Mike_Renton
0 Kudos

WiFi connection problem and observations

Problem: my CPO Nook NT cannot maintain a connection over my secured wifi (WPA-PSK/AES).  The NT always completes the handshake for DHCP, and sometimes even connects to the internet for a brief period.  If I unsecure my network,  it will maintain the network connection as long as I want.

I am reasonably comfortable doing setups for network devices, and am sure my setup is correct and that the NT has a software and/or a hardware problem.

Today, I downloaded a generic version of Android for NT (cm10 version, 4.1), and ran it from an SD card.  The generic android was able to access the internet through my secured network and download over the connection.  I conclude the hardware is working, and that there must be a problem with the NT software.  My NT came with 1.4.1 installed, and I manually upgraded it to 1.4.3. No difference with wifi.

Since I only have 14-days from delivery to return my NT, I've  run out of time trying to troubleshoot and will be returning this Monday. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: WiFi connection problem and observations

Mike, is your connection one that changes the IP address dynamically?

Update: It seems so. Wikipedia: DHCP servers typically grant IP addresses to clients only for a limited interval. DHCP clients are responsible for renewing their IP address before that interval has expired, and must stop using the address once the interval has expired, if they have not been able to renew it.

There have been a few reports on the forum of Nook devices (Nook Tablet and Color) holding on to the old IP and not being able to handle DHCP.

That might be what is causing the issue.

Reader 2
Mike_Renton
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply. I would really like to fix this problem. My NT has no problem with an unsecured connection which also uses DHCP so I don't think that is the problem. However, I'll try assigning a static IP to my nook and see if that helps. Meanwhile, I running cm10 Android with no problems except it's terribly slow because it runs from the sd card.
Correspondent
Wulfraed

I'm tempted to ask how it behaves if you set it (router) to WEP (even if it is a weak security). Or WPA-2 if using older WPA?

Baron Wulfraed
Reader 2
Mike_Renton
0 Kudos

Solved

[ Edited ]

Edit: Problem fixed by upgrading router to open source firmware "Tomato".

It appears the NT (and other Nooks) can not be set to static IPs. However,  I don't think dynamic IPs are the problem. Each is granted for 24 hours at a time, and the Nook's address agrees with what the router has assigned.

I have an older router. Doesn't support WPA-2.  If I knew a new router would fix it, I'd replace the router. But  the NT when running pure Android 4.1 has no problems with the router. That's really puzzling since it suggests pure Android is using a different device driver than the Nook custom Android, and it also indicates  that the Nook hardware is capable of WPA.

Edit:
 I checked Linksys/Cisco for firmware upgrades to my venerable WRT54GS (vers 1.0 =ancient), and they have no firmware upgrades available. However, I found an open firmware "Tomato" that claimed to improve the Linksys firmware. With much trepidation, I installed it.  I'm amazed that this FIXED the problem. My NT now works under WPA PSK/AES.  Hopefully, all the smartphones that occasionally visit my LAN will continue to work (I think so). BTW, this firmware claims to support WPA2 -- good bonus.

Looks like my NT is a keeper, after all.