Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Your App Manager: Developer please respond...

Bought and downloaded "Your App Manager".  It is simple and straight forward, however...how do we know which running apps we can kill?  Other than not being sure of what apps we can kill, it looks like it works well.  I used it to stop a couple of my bought and paid for apps.  But wondering if some of the running apps are not supposed to be stopped and what will happen if we try to stop something that shouldn't be...will we get a message saying it cannot be stopped?

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Contributor
Scott70

Re: Your App Manager: Developer please respond...

Here's what the developers told me in their email response:

"Hi Scott,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the appreciation of our app!
Here are our answers:
Is there any danger of a customer killing or deleting an app that needs to run? I'm sure it could be fixed with a factory reset if needed but I'd like to avoid doing that or at least heading it off with a little education.
No they can not delete any NOOK critical apps only apps they have installed.

When you uninstall an app using Your App Manager, I assume it Archives the app and does not delete it from the account. Am I correct?
When you uninstall an app it only removes it from your NOOK and not from your locker where it is always archived.
We could really use your help!  If you could do us a favor we would love to know what other tools/apps people are asking for so that we can make more cool tools/apps!
Sincerely,

Support Team
#!* [ pound bang splat ]
My postings on this site are my own and do not represent Barnes & Noble's positions, strategies or opinions.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I downloaded the app manager yesterday, killed the apps that were running in the background, read for a while last night, put my nook tablet to bed with 88% left on the battery, woke up this morning and the battery was still at 88%!!!  That hasn't happened since I bought my tablet.  I am very pleased with the app.  It is only .99 cents in the app store.  A very well spent dollar IMO.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

When you open App Manager, what exactly are you looking for? Do you see which apps are currently running and if so do you just tap on that app and then close it?

I have this app and so far evertime I open it, I do not see any other apps running.

Contributor
Scott70
0 Kudos

When I open it I get a list of apps.

Along the right side of the screen I see the memory the apps are using, or "Unknown Memory".

If I tap an app it brings up a menu with options "Switch To", "Kill it!", "Launch" or "Cancel".

For example Android Keyboard shows up as using 22k, the menu comes up with the options "Switch To", "Kill It!" and "Cancel". If I try to switch to it I get a message saying that I can't because it has no interface. If I try to kill it it wont let me (makes me think it's a bad idea to kill the keyboard...). Cancelling just closes the menu.

Also, I tried to uninstall Adobe AIR too, and was (happily) unable to do so.

My postings on this site are my own and do not represent Barnes & Noble's positions, strategies or opinions.
Distinguished Correspondent
moldybagel
0 Kudos

Maybe it's just me, but I really think the app clearly labels and identifies each process. Many of the system items are named with obvious terms and have a "android" icon. All the apps that are running have an icon, name, and memory amount. Pretty straight forward. Almost as easy as a windows task manager.

Also...I believe the battery drain problem is usually related to applications running wifi in the background. Users should check the settings of their applications instead of worrying about 10-80kb of RAM being used....most apps use about 25kb....I honestly can't imagine a nook dying in sleep mode due to this. I may be wrong (some of you are probably more educated on power specifics).

I bought this app and love it, but it really isn't worth constanly stressing over memory usage. Especially when apps randomly access memory even when we haven't opened them. I'm truly convinced the power drain is from wi-fi settings inside of installed applications.

All feedback is welcome. These are just my speculations.

I love messages! Feel free to message me for help, nook friend requests, to talk, or for any other reason!
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thanks Scott and Moldy. I appreciate you sharing your experiences.