Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

borrowing ebooks from my public libary.

I use to be able to borrow books from my public libary and watch them on my nook ereader, but now I have the tablet and I can no longer do this.  I though maybe I had downloaded the wrong format but it is in a epub format. Please help I have a great book waiting for me to read.

Contributor
jkmailley
0 Kudos

Re: borrowing ebooks from my public libary.

You need to download Adobe Digital software on your computer than transfer them to you NT.
~My 2 favorite words: Chapter One~
Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos

I am using Adobe Digital software, the only thing I have noticed is that the file now ends with ASCME instead of epub which is what the file link from the libary says when I download it, meaning that I chose the link for epub reader rather than a pdf or the link for the kindle.

Contributor
doester

When you click download from your library website, choose open instead of save.  It will then open in Adobe Digital Edition.  Once it is open and you can view it in ADE, connect your nook.  You will then see 'my nook' as the last bookshelf.  Click on the book you have downloaded, drag and drop into the 'my nook' bookshelf, and then eject your nook.

Contributor
TinaLTX
0 Kudos

Once i open it in Adobe Digital Editions, can I just use Dropbox to go transfer it to the Nook? Or does it need to come directly from ADE?

I hope they incorporate overdrive soon to make this process easier.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

TinaLTX wrote:

Once i open it in Adobe Digital Editions, can I just use Dropbox to go transfer it to the Nook? Or does it need to come directly from ADE?

You have to use ADE to transfer it.  That's where it gets the expiration date information.

To the Bookworm 1215 - it's always been a .acsm file from every library I've ever checked out a book.  When you checkout a book from a library you get it from Overdrive.  Overdrive doesn't download the actual book, it downloads the .acsm file which is a small file that contains the information for ADE to get the book from the Overdrive server and the checkout and expiration information.  When you download it, select Open instead of Save if possible.  It should open ADE and your book should be there.

Frequent Contributor
bookworm1215
0 Kudos

When you click download from your library website, choose open instead of save. It will then open in Adobe Digital Edition  This solve the problem!!!!! I wished I had figured this out weeks ago!!! :smileyvery-happy: 

bklvr896 wrote:

TinaLTX wrote:

You have to use ADE to transfer it.  That's where it gets the expiration date information.

To the Bookworm 1215 - it's always been a .acsm file from every library I've ever checked out a book.  When you checkout a book from a library you get it from Overdrive.  Overdrive doesn't download the actual book, it downloads the .acsm file which is a small file that contains the information for ADE to get the book from the Overdrive server and the checkout and expiration information.  When you download it, select Open instead of Save if possible.  It should open ADE and your book should be there.

my main problem besides using save over the open feature I also had some how changed it so that calibre program would get the file first instead of the ADE. I just went in and fixed it all and now it works great thank you guys again for all the help.

Reader 2
DaniGirl16
0 Kudos

I need help with this - my computer won't recognize ADE as a program to open up the *.ascm file.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil
0 Kudos

Just drag and drop the file (book) into the open ADE window. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DaniGirl16 wrote:

I need help with this - my computer won't recognize ADE as a program to open up the *.ascm file.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Save a .acsm file on to your computer.  Right mouse click on it.  Select Open With (not open), which will display another menu, select "Choose Default Program".  ADE should be listed, select ADE, check "Always use the selected program to open this type of file".  Once you do that, your computer should remember and open .acsm files with ADE.

Reader 2
DaniGirl16
0 Kudos

So I am wondering if it is something with my computer.  And let me first start by saying thank you SO much for replying to me.  When I right click and click "Open With" I don't have ADE as an available program to choose.  It wants to pick Adobe Reader since ADE is not in the list and then when it opens it says it is not a valid file type....Any more help would be GREATLY appreciated.   I have installed ADE as far as I can tell and I have authorized the computer.   I haven't tried the drag and drop method into ADE the one poster said yet but I am not confident right now.  :smileysad:

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

DaniGirl16 wrote:

So I am wondering if it is something with my computer.  And let me first start by saying thank you SO much for replying to me.  When I right click and click "Open With" I don't have ADE as an available program to choose.  It wants to pick Adobe Reader since ADE is not in the list and then when it opens it says it is not a valid file type....Any more help would be GREATLY appreciated.   I have installed ADE as far as I can tell and I have authorized the computer.   I haven't tried the drag and drop method into ADE the one poster said yet but I am not confident right now.  :smileysad:

Open ADE on your computer to make sure that it runs. You will probably have to download the ascm file again from your overdrive account. Then drag the ascm file into ADE and if the program is working properly it will download the epub file. It then has to be transfered to Nook from within ADE. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DaniGirl16 wrote:

When you right click and select open with, ADE isn't there, there should be a browse button to allow you to browse for the program.  Click on that and find the ADE program.  You need to find the digitaleditions.exe file.  Once you find it, select and click open.  Hopefully that will put it in your programs to open with and you can select it as the default.

On my Windows 7 computer it's located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe"

Adobe Reader can't read do anything with a .acsm file and it can't read an ePub.

New User
ma2jonah
0 Kudos

I can get my book onto ADE, but I can't get my ADE to recognize my nook. I've shut down and re-booted both, and tried both usb ports. Any suggestions?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

ma2jonah, do you have Color or Tablet or HD/HD+?

HD/HD+ are not recognized by ADE.

Contributor
VillagerTN

There is an Overdrive app available from B&N.  It works a little differently than using Adobe and you always have to go through the app to access the books you've downloaded from there, but you can now have access to the library without having to use your computer.

Works great!

Contributor
rje58
0 Kudos

I'm using the OverDrive app also to download books from my local library and it works great for me!