New User
nams77
0 Kudos

brand new nook HD+ getting hot

Hello All,

I just purchased the brand new nook HD+ after I came to know that new May 2013 update has provided access to google play. I really want to like this kewl right size full android tablet having amazing display

However only thing which is worrying me is the heat which I can feel near the speaker area. It is getting warm with little use only ( browsing, mail checking etc). It gets really hot if I watch video or play any light game.

I also tried doing the hard reset as suggested here but in vain. Is it a well known issue or I got the bad piece ?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: brand new nook HD+ getting hot

You might try posting this in the HD/HD+ forum rather than the NT forum. They can probably tell you over there if this is normal. If you're uncomfortable with it, take it back to the store and exchange it since it's still under warranty.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) Exchange it.

2) That's where the processor is located. ARe you left handed? Usually left handed people notice this more.

Contributor
SoozeSC
0 Kudos

I got my HD+ in May, and after about a week when I noticed it was getting very warm when  I'd only used for about 15 minutes--just using internet,checking the bn shop. I checked out the blogs for this over heating. 

Overheating is not good--Take it back for a replacement was the reccommendation. So I tok it back and exchanged it, the manager @BN was great, no questions--he did say that the overheating is not goood. 

Well, a mknth later and I notice that my replacement is heating up too. Same activity by me--not using it for more than a half hour and its really warm. I am right handed, but I turn the nook hd+ around so who knows. I have gotten into the habit of turning off the wi-fi to let the Internet "cool down" and completely power off for a coupld of hours or over night.

I think I will exchange hd+  #2 and hope for the best. BUt realistkcally ,how many times should I expect to exchange this device due to the overheating?Thank goodness I have my nook Tablet--but that little gadget gadget has its own issues too!

Would appreciate any feedback abt overheating. Thx!

Contributor
Jen30s
0 Kudos

What amount of "warmth" would be normal?  I just got mine last week.  I do notice that it gets a little warm, but that's usually when I'm charging it. (It is the area around the charging hook-up), and I don't think it has gotten hot, just warm.

Contributor
Fast_Freddie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mine did the same thing. Original got hot then I replaced it. Now the replacement gets hot on the left side. I am wondering if it isn't the heavy cover that doesn't let the heat get out. I have to put it on ice to cool it down sometimes. That ain't right. I wonder if there isn't some way to tell how much memory these apps use up. I wonder if overtaxing the CPU isn't an issue. I have a HD+ 32 gig with an 8 gig SD card. Video watching really starts it to heating up.