Contributor
nikchik66
0 Kudos

confused about opening books.

i have a series i got from a friend, its the entire kay scarpetta series. i love it. i used to have a sony ereader and i still had the software on my pc, the series will open in epub format in that program, i downloaded the same files to my new nook tablet, they say there is an error and it cant open the file, i downloaded the nook app on my phone, did a drag and drop in the app of a book that was giving me the error and it opened just fine. why is it not opening the file on my nook?i even deleted it and re-downloaded it, and tried again with the same error popping up, its only doing this with this series...

Reader
dmminmich
0 Kudos

Re: confused about opening books.

I bought a Nook Book from my Nook tablet last night.  Clicked on the book cover in "My Library" and got an error message that said that format was not supported by Nook.  (huh?  why sell it as a nook book then?).  Today, I downloaded the free Nook reading app for PCs on my computer.  Then I downloaded the book - it downloaded as an epub.  Opened up on my pc just fine.  At which point, I again clicked on the book cover icon in "My Library" on my Nook.  This time, the book opened just fine.  

While happy that this is resolved, it strikes me as very odd.

Reader
dmminmich
0 Kudos

Oh, and the book only shows up in the "home page" ribbon on my nook.  It is not in the books section of my library.  It is under "My Stuff" the Everything Else shelf.  And going to it through that link, it will not open.  Just gets an error.   Very very odd.

Contributor
nikchik66
0 Kudos

mine is every book in the scarpetta series and it will show up in my ribbon but it wont open from there, the library, or anywhere in my nook...i can read it on my phone and pc (from the nook app on both) but not the nook...whats the point in a nook if i have to read from my pc or phone?lol...is there a way to fix this?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

nikchik66 wrote:

i have a series i got from a friend, its the entire kay scarpetta series. i love it. i used to have a sony ereader and i still had the software on my pc, the series will open in epub format in that program, i downloaded the same files to my new nook tablet, they say there is an error and it cant open the file, i downloaded the nook app on my phone, did a drag and drop in the app of a book that was giving me the error and it opened just fine. why is it not opening the file on my nook?i even deleted it and re-downloaded it, and tried again with the same error popping up, its only doing this with this series...

How did you download them to your Nook?  The few books I've bought from Sony I used ADE to transfer them to the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
Lady_Mousie
0 Kudos

Try using Calibre to transfer the books to your Nook

Contributor
nikchik66
0 Kudos

i just did a drag and drop like i did with all of my books...this is the only series that isnt working...they are all in the same format nad everything...

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

nikchik66 wrote:

i just did a drag and drop like i did with all of my books...this is the only series that isnt working...they are all in the same format nad everything...

Here are the directions from another post  by Doug Pardee with directions for loading Sony books on your device.

I've never purchased from Sony before and wondered if their books would work on the Nook.

Yes, they work, but the process is just a bit more complicated than elsewhere. I might as well lay it out in detail here.

Normal Adobe Digital Editions setup (one time):

1. Get an Adobe ID. I recommend that a family use a shared Adobe ID so that they can share their e-books.
  2. Download/Install Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
  3. Activate Adobe Digital Editions with your Adobe ID. Do not use ADE in "anonymous" mode.
  4. Go to "Library>Authorize" and double-check that the correct Adobe ID has been used.
  5. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open. You'll be using it again after you're done shopping.

Sony Reader Store setup (one time):

1. Download/Install Sony's Reader software. This is kind of a variant of ADE. You do not want to associate .epub and .acsm files with Sony Reader (especially .acsm, or you'll break downloading to Adobe Digital Editions from other stores and the library).
  2. Run the Reader software and go to the e-store.
  3. Create an account at Sony. You must use the same e-mail address as you used for your Adobe ID. For convenience, use the same password. Otherwise Sony will keep asking for your Adobe ID password.
  4. You will be asked if you want to authorize that computer for Sony Reader's e-store. You do.

By the way: you can have up to six computers authorized to the same Sony Reader account at a time, so you may want to download/install/login/authorize on some other computers. If you do, it might be helpful to go to "my account" and near the bottom is a "manage devices" link that will let you give descriptive names to each authorized computer.

Buying e-books at Sony:

1. Use Sony's Reader software to browse the store and buy any e-books of interest. Note: when you buy an e-book, it's automatically downloaded with no messages or anything. Click the "Library" selection in the left column of the Reader to see that you got it okay, then click "e-store" if you want to go back to shopping.
  2. When you're done, you can close the Sony Reader software if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Getting your Sony e-books into Adobe Digital Editions:

1. Start up Adobe Digital Editions if it isn't already running.
  2. Click "Library>Add".
  3. Navigate to where Sony's Reader software stored your downloaded book. On Windows, it's in "My Documents>My Books>Reader Library" (or something like that, I'm going from memory). I don't know where it is on a Mac.
  4. Add the appropriate e-book(s).

Normal Adobe Digital Editions sideload:

1. Plug your nook into your computer if you haven't already. There should be a nook icon in the left column of ADE.
  2. Drag-and-drop your new e-book(s) to the nook icon. If this is the very first time you've put ADE content on your nook, it might ask if you want to authorize your nook. You do.
  3. When you're done, you can close Adobe Digital Editions if you want. Or you can leave it open.

Normal end of sideloading:

1. Eject your nook.
  2. Go to My Documents on your nook.
  3. Touch Check for New Content.
  4. If that fails to find your new e-book(s), turn the nook completely off (5-second power button press) and back on.
— Doug
http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
nikchik66
0 Kudos

thank you but i did not purchase the books from sony...i simply opened them previously with that library...i got them from a friend who loaded them on a mem stick and i transfered them to my pc...they open fine in the nook apps for my android phone and the nook app for my pc...just not my actual nook. do i need to get them from him again like reset the process?or will they never load on my actual nook?they are standard .epub files. i dont understand why they wont open...

Contributor
nikchik66
0 Kudos

i downloaded calibre like someone said, keeps saying no communication with the device, wont load anything...