Contributor
jennt721
0 Kudos

eReader.com DRM Content on Nook Tablet?

Hi,

I have hundreds of books that I have purchased through eReader.com over the past 11 years. They are DRM-protected pdb files. Is there a way of viewing them through the new Tablet or converting them for use? eReader.com is owned by Barnes & Noble but I have not received any help through their customer service and am unable to find help with this issue. Thanks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: eReader.com DRM Content on Nook Tablet?

Unfortunately, pdbs are not supported on NCs and NTs. Many of us brought this to the attention of B&N staff when the NC came out. First, see if on your ereader account, they are now offered for download as epubs. If not there are tools that can help to remove the DRM that are listed on mibile read, or can be found by googling. This is only for your personal, purchased books and is by some, considered a legal gray area, but most consider it covered by Fair Use.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
jennt721

Thanks. I found this on my own but it should be a legal, santioned addition to the Nook. I do not like legal gray areas and do not contribute to piracy. I agree that since I bought the content and do not intend to share it illegally that I should be alright, but since the content is owned by Barnes & Noble I should not have to. It is a pain to remove the DRM and convert it to ePub. I have 400 books and it is taking hours to download and go through this process.

deemure

jennt721 wrote:

Thanks. I found this on my own but it should be a legal, santioned addition to the Nook. I do not like legal gray areas and do not contribute to piracy. I agree that since I bought the content and do not intend to share it illegally that I should be alright, but since the content is owned by Barnes & Noble I should not have to. It is a pain to remove the DRM and convert it to ePub. I have 400 books and it is taking hours to download and go through this process.

I agree wholeheartedly.  Just to be clear on this, I and several others repeatedly pointed this out to them.  It was escalated to those that can make decisions on these things, but what may have happened is some stall with publishers and/or some other legal sticking point.  pdb is a palm device format or so I understand.  What might have happened is publishers balked at having the books re-formatted and "given away" as epubs.  Publishers tend to think of ebooks in different formats as different books altogether.  I got a number of books from Fictionwise in the same pdb format.  They were offered with better incentives than other versions and since they worked with my nook, they were the perfect choice.  So, it's also likely that since I got them cheaper and all, someone somewhere wants more money off of them.  I had nowhere near the number of books as you, but enough.  Also as to it being a gray area, it's not something any company would even be able to act upon as long as you are not putting them up on the internet for sharing and such. 

I do wish Barnes and Noble had been able to come up with a solution or at least offered an answer as to why not, but to date they've been silent on this.  I have noticed they are careful not to pin blame on anyone ever, so it may be they consider discretion to be the better part of valor as well, if indeed publishers hold the say over this.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
sperryhunt
0 Kudos

I've had an issue with the tablet not reading the PDB format.  I just bought the tablet just after Thanksgiving (2011) and  was shopping for a book on editing fiction. I found the selection limited. Later I decided to do my shopping on my laptop and bought this book, which I hadn't seen on the tablet.

Write Great Fiction - Revision And Self-Editing

James Scott Bell

When I transferred it to my tablet, it showed up with a "?" shortcut. Several phone calls later, I discovered that I should only buy things FROM my tablet. (Good to know, since I wasn't warned that some things won't run on the tablet.)

I like my tablet very much, and I appreciate the phone support. But I hope that B&N either fixes the software (or firmware) to run the older formats or puts a lot of heat on the publishers to convert their older books. Otherwise, users are going to be disappointed pretty quickly with a reading device with a short list of readable titles.

Contributor
jennt721
0 Kudos

Sperryhunt,

If you download the Calibre software, you can convert the pdb file to an epub file and be able to read it on your Nook. That is what I did for all of my pdb files and I have no problems. The only other thing that you need to keep in mind is that you will only see these files if you create a shelf where you will see them. They will not automatically show up in your library. I hope this helps. If you need any help with this, pm me.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sperryhunt wrote:

I've had an issue with the tablet not reading the PDB format.  I just bought the tablet just after Thanksgiving (2011) and  was shopping for a book on editing fiction. I found the selection limited. Later I decided to do my shopping on my laptop and bought this book, which I hadn't seen on the tablet.

Write Great Fiction - Revision And Self-Editing

James Scott Bell

When I transferred it to my tablet, it showed up with a "?" shortcut. Several phone calls later, I discovered that I should only buy things FROM my tablet. (Good to know, since I wasn't warned that some things won't run on the tablet.)

I like my tablet very much, and I appreciate the phone support. But I hope that B&N either fixes the software (or firmware) to run the older formats or puts a lot of heat on the publishers to convert their older books. Otherwise, users are going to be disappointed pretty quickly with a reading device with a short list of readable titles.

First of all, no you are not limited to only books you buy from your tablet.  There are plenty of sources out there that you can get books from that do not contain any DRM at all or that can be added to your library through the use of Adobe Digital Editions (Sony books fall into this latter category, for example).

Almost any book without DRM can be converted with Calibre with some success for use on your NT.  Some may need some fixing afterward with another program called Sigil (which is an epub editor). 

As it is you are still not limited even to epubs for reading on the NT-you can take a look at the supported formats as a guide.  pdb is not there mainly because it is not a current format and not being supported as a platform.  epub is the most widely used right now.  Pdfs are big as well because they are used in a lot of technical publications and on computers.

You have to be sure of what you are buying and if it will work on any device you own prior to plopping down the money.  Pdbs stopped being supported on nooks when the NC was introduced.

And it's more in your interest to put the heat on publishers as far as any conversion is concerned-B&N has little interest in doing this unless there's a huge demand for a book.  Publishers aren't always that interested themselves unless there's a huge demand for a book.  Older books are not that profitable.  The only reason they convert books to current formats is because they do see a demand.  It's more like you should contact the company where you bought it and ask them why it's not in epub format.

If it was ereader.com or fictionwise, they now do offer you the ability to get books in epub format instead of pdb.

And, the book is available as an epub nookbook-

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/write-great-fiction-revision-and-self-editing-james-scott-bell/10180...

But your last statement is way out of whack.  You bought a book in a format not supported by the NOOK Tablet and so it doesn't work on it.  That does not mean that B&N only has a "short list of readable titles" for nooks.  This was one book and it is available at B&N.  Shame on them that you bought the wrong format.  The book you got is not very popular-7 reviews for all forms on B&N and 36 for all forms on Amazon. That it made it to ebook format at all is a wonder though it may be good.