Frequent Contributor
Raven2099
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

firmware

is there any plan for a new firmware update if not i suggest a final firmware update to unlock all features and allow for androis google play apps and more....

it only seams logical

make my nook suck less
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: firmware

For the Nook Tablet?

I think it's highly unlikely B&N will just unlock everything. It has a lot of book and magazine and apps revenue coming in from Tablet owners (at least I would presume that).

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

5ivedom wrote:

For the Nook Tablet?

I think it's highly unlikely B&N will just unlock everything. It has a lot of book and magazine and apps revenue coming in from Tablet owners (at least I would presume that).

Prrobably a waste to make reasonable responses to someone so clearly attached to diva victim status.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Perhaps you're right PatGolfNeb.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

It'd be classy for B&N to release a method of unlocking the NT bootloader, but I wouldn't expect it. In any case, it's been worked around. The NT still basically works as you bought it, so they're not likely to open anything up.

If you're really looking to extend your NT's functionality, I'd suggest loading Cyanogenmod on it, unless you're really tied down to the B&N ecosystem for some reason.

Much to my surprise, I noticed tonight that the NOOK Android app seems to be handling at least some enhanced magazine formats (e.g. Wired Magazine as of March 2013 issue), so one of my last reasons to keep the B&N firmware has gone away.

Frequent Contributor
Raven2099
0 Kudos

cloxkwork mod cryogen to it eh... will give thought... thnkx
make my nook suck less
Contributor
Magic_Emrys
0 Kudos

I hear they are unlocking it for the HD and HD+. http://gizmodo.com/nooks-just-turned-into-real-android-tablets-487710743

They could care less about us. Makes me really not want to upgrade to a better Nook now knowing that my Nook Tablet only had a few updates that the Color also got and then was largely ignored by B&N when HD came out. I'm so beyond unhappy right now.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

MAgic_Emrys, they are adding Google Play to increase sales of HD and HD+. They had lots of stock and not very good sales (at least that's what the signs seem to suggest).

With Tablet and Color they don't really have a reason to unlock it and add Google Play.

New User
Old_Goat_1893

No reason to upgrade the NT? Seriously? What about customer loyalty? My NT is leass than a year old and the last firmware update was to stop NT owners from side loading apps and in order limit them to the Barnes and Noble App market. This wouldn't be an issue if Barnes and Noble had developed their market, but they did not. Hence, the poor sales of their tables. This is a poor business model. Good bye Barnes and Noble. I will not stay with a company that does not support it products.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry Old Goat, the Nook Tablet had 2 firmware updates after the update to block sideloading app; that update occured in December 2011.

The June update added additional capabilities for comic book reading and more landscape viewing options.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Old Goat, I understand your perspective.

Perhaps I should be clearer.

Nook Tablet is sold. There's not going to be new units made. B&N is adding Google Play to increase sales of new devices. So Nook Tablet is a bit of an afterthought.

The only thing that'll happen by adding Google Play is that people will buy stuff from places other than B&N. So no financial motive to do it.

Customer Loyalty? That's long term thinking. If B&N doesn't sell and doesn't make money then it'll have to close its Nook division. I don't think Nook unit has the luxury of thinking of 10 year loyalty and stuff.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 221 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: