Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

"Too many windows" error

I tried to open a browser Google news link and it generated the message. Couldn't get past that with any Google link.  I tried everything like deleting the cache, history, using the default settings all without success. I then used my laptop to hunt down the solution to this unknown message.  I found out I had to start closing the open windows from the Options-->Windows list. When I looked there were only three open windows!  Come on!  Three open windows and that caused the problem!!??  What gives?  Looks like an Android issue as the error goes back to Nook Color but there are not very many who posted the issue or even the solution (a few at best since March '11). 

Anyone familiar with this issue and permanently handling this?  BTW:  The setting Open or Open in another window option doesn't do anything for me.  It ALWAYS opens in another window.

Thanks for listening!  :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: "Too many windows" error

[ Edited ]

It's somewhat wellknown that Android doesn't close things efficiently.  Consider that the Android OS up until recently was meant to work on phones.  And the NOOK native reader and software is layered kind of on top of it.

I've had multiple windows open on mine and not gotten that message, but I think it can depend on what is open on each or it may be that it just limits the number you have open in order to not cause other problems.

I don't remember the NC allowing you to have multiple browser windows open at the same time, but I could be wrong.  I know the NT does.

You also do need to power off completely every so often and I think if using sideloaded apps at all, this is really important.

Edit: well, on mine I was able to have at least 6 open windows.  I didn't try more.  I don't have any sideloaded apps or any such thing.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
SamSpade88
0 Kudos

Thanks for your feedback. This is my first Android device so there will be a learning curve just like anything new. I am starting to wrap my head around 'rooted' and side-loading but until I use them I will still be unaware of what its all about!

What also happens with the error is that I cannot click on Options as it is greyed-out but only occassionally! I can sometimes do something on the device that even after I get the message Options is available. I don't know if it gets locked because it is doing another action or has filled memory to the point it won't do anything associated with that particular window. In a few instances of that error I was able to go to another URL and open a link in that window without a problem. With success I would go back to the Google News site and click on a few links and each would generate the 'too many windows' error. That doesn't seem logical to me and the message could be generic and really mean something else just like a lot of other OS generic errors on computers.

So you know, I also did turn off the NT before clearing the Windows and that didn't change the error.  Clearing the open windows did the trick.  If that didn't resolve I was ready to do a hard reset as whatever was on the NT would just come back since all my mags and books came directly from BN. In other words, not much to lose except for understanding the real cause and solution.

Anyways, I will be monitoring this closer since I could be a pioneer user with this error since so few have reported it.

Reader
nooking4u
0 Kudos

My Nook just gets slower and slower everytime I use it, which is mostly for checking email and surfing the web. What's up with that? Do I need to add more memory? Would that help? And what is this talk about "closing windows"? How do you do that? And where can I read how to do that? PLease help. I'm very frustrated with my NT. It works fine for a few days after the reset and then it doesn't load webpages. Must I reset it every week?

Reader 2
Silicone
0 Kudos

How to delete browser windows

Look at the top of the page (where the webpage address is). At the very right is a box with an icon and a downward arrow. Tap on that once to get a list. Tap on the word "Windows" in that list. You will now see a listing of all OPEN windows. Do one of the following: - Tap on the title to go to that window. or - Tap on the "x" at the right of the window title to CLOSE that particular window. or - Tap on the "x" at the upper left of the screen to go back to the webpage you were viewing.
Put that thing down and go outside for five minutes.
New User
austinladd
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem with the grey options menu. I also get the "to many windows" message. apparently you can change it by clearing all of them throught the options tab, but mine is grey. do any of you know how to get it back so i can use clear my windows? thankyou

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

These easiest way to do it is when the options tab is greyed out to totally shut your nook down (power totally off), then restart it.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
New User
austinladd
0 Kudos

just press the button on the side? because if thats shutting it off it does not work.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

You need to press and hold the power button on the side for about 15-20 seconds until the screen goes black. Then release and press again for a couple of seconds until the Read Forever message appears. Simply pressing the power button and releasing quickly only puts the Nook to sleep. It needs to power down completely to reset the programs' memory.
Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

austinladd wrote:

I am having the same problem with the grey options menu. I also get the "to many windows" message. apparently you can change it by clearing all of them throught the options tab, but mine is grey. do any of you know how to get it back so i can use clear my windows? thankyou

You might want to try downloading the free Dolphin browser app from the shop. I like this browser so much better than the stock browser. It has tabbed browsing and I have never had a problem with too many windows being open. The bookmarks are on the side and easier to access too. It seems faster also.

Melissa19
New User
austinladd
0 Kudos

wow it worked, hey thanks alot for this.