Contributor
lucky13hoff
Accepted Solution

setting up email help

I am trying to set up the email app on my new Nook tablet.  It is stuck on the "checking incoming server settings".  It won't allow me to cancel it or do anything at all.  What should I do next?

Correspondent
wstewart

Re: setting up email help

lucky13hoff wrote:

I am trying to set up the email app on my new Nook tablet.  It is stuck on the "checking incoming server settings".  It won't allow me to cancel it or do anything at all.  What should I do next?

Hi Lucky,

Try turning your Tablet all the way off.  That should clear the problem.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Contributor
BarneyInBend
0 Kudos

I'm in same boat, and turning Nook Tablet off doesn't stop it - when I return to e-mail it's STILL 'checking server settings,' do I have to do some sort of resetting of the device? (UGH if so! I've only had it a few hours and already have grabbed bunches of stuff...)

Contributor
BarneyInBend
0 Kudos

Oh, I get it, hold the power button down to REALLY shut it down! Well that worked, now it isn't stuck, yay! Still have to figure out why the settings from my Net (cable) provider locked it up like that:-/

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new tablet. Did you get your email set up? Some providers require different set ups and you usually have to restart you nook afterwards. Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.
Melissa19
Contributor
nonuthin
0 Kudos

My nc works fine on q.com e-mail. Just bought spouse a ntablet and can't get past incoming with the same settings. Someone SAVE MY MARRIAGE!!!!
New User
aguahondo
0 Kudos

Same problem here.

1. Instructions say not to turn the NOOK off until fully charged for the first time so I will have to wait to try that.

2. I am setting up a gmail account.  I have enabled POP forwarding in gmail.  I want a secure connection. Gmail uses https for logon. Should I change the POP port from 110 to 443?

TIA

Distinguished Correspondent
Francisco1844

nonuthin, does that provider uses non standard ports? maybe you need to tell it to use a different port. Or does it require SSL/TLS?

aguahondo, I recommend you use IMAP and not pop.
Use IMAP+SSL with port 993.
For outbound select port Port: 465 or 587 and select SSL/TLS.
New User
mjwrites

I am having trouble with email..I am putting in POP, SSL, and then using 110..but it says it can't connect.....that's what we use on my home email..but it says, "setup could not finish: unable to open connection to server'

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

Just a not for anyone with their tablet stuck in "server settings". You should be able to break out of this by turning off your wi-fi. This should generate an error message but get you out of the checking server loop.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
LDW1
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem as above.  My NOOK Tablet will not let me manually set up my email accounts,  It will connect with easy step but is on the wrong servers for mobile access as suggested by Cox.net.  The manual setup is broke and needs fixing please.

Correspondent
AnnieVan

You have probably figured it out by now, but I had a similar problem when I changed my Gmail password. I wanted to share my solution in case anyone else runs across this problem.

I tried changing the password only, but it kept getting hung up as described. The only thing that worked for me was to select Gmail on the drop down at the top and select my account. On the next screen I checked the box next to my account, selected the trash can to delete the account, and then simply added my email and password in and it automatically set it up without a glitch.

Reader
landp1986
0 Kudos

This was my exact problem........Worked perfectly, Thanks!

New User
nana6h
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your information about ports, etc. I finally got my email accounts set up- thanks to your instructions!
Frequent Contributor
miggy82

Having trouble accessing your Cox.net email with your Android device?

this is from the cox.net website:

http://ww2.cox.com/residential/hamptonroads/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=9bd91140-83e1-11e1-fe10...

Having trouble accessing your Cox.net email with your Android device?

While the Cox.net email platform works well with most Android devices, Cox recommends the K-9 email app in cases where customers find the mail client installed on their Android device cannot be used. K-9 email is a free 3rd-party app* that can be downloaded from the Internet.

*Cox does not support the K-9 email client but only recommends its use in cases where the built-in email client cannot be used. Contact the application manufacturer for support issues. See also Set Up an Android Device to Send and Receive Cox.net Email.

K9 is now available for free in the nook app store and works for many of the email providers that are difficult to set up with the pre-installed email app.  ALSO, you can select all and delete all from the trash!!!!

New User
JohnDom87
0 Kudos

I was able to set up my cox.net email on my nook hd+ but am having a hard time setting up my gmail account.  any help?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What problem are you running into?

A user on another thread suggested doing manual email setup and choosing IMAP instead of POP. Not sure if that also applies to Google Mail but it's worth a shot.

New User
JohnDom87
0 Kudos

Thanks, I tried that and it says that it "Couldn't open connection to server."  If I don't do it manuelly then it says "You don't have permission to sync with this server. Contact your server's administrator for more information."  These are the two problems I run into no matter which email account I try to connect to.  The only email I got to connect with no problem was my Cox account.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Please search for IMAP on the forum and check what steps people have shared.

I know when I was setting up email accounts (yahoo) then you had to have a very particular set of things you entered to get it to work.

Reader 4
Sornito-Nguyen

Had same issue instead of @gmail.com try @googlemail.com that fixed my email but contacts and calendar still not working.